Dont Know What I Was Thinking..love Chocolate Transfers Now!

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 4:16am by mrsmudrash

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:59am
post #61 of 242

I'm not sure about wire, but I have used craft sticks and straws, and toothpicks so I dont see why wire would'nt work.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:21am
post #62 of 242

If wire does work, please let us know! That sounds like a great way to do it!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm
post #63 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

OK I have another question. Can the transfers be attached to wires? Like to stick up above the surface of the cake? (the transfers I'm doing are less than 2 inches big each)

I attached some of mine to lolipop sticks and stuck them into the cake. I dont know if attaching to wires would work or not, it would probably have to be a very heavy gauge wire.

Richiescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richiescakes Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:31am
post #64 of 242

This is a great thread!! I've been using color flow for my figures -- and you're right-- no one eats them but people would love chocolate to eat! Thanks === I feel like I'm ALWAYS learning on this site. Whoever came up with this idea -- of the website--THANK YOU!!!

LEK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEK Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #65 of 242

Hi Merissa

I love your CT's - they're perfect.

Just on the lollipop sticks - how do you attach them? I've had trouble in the past with my fondant cut-outs - they've been too heavy and fallen off the sticks.

how secure do you stick them on?

Thanks!
Kathy

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 9:19am
post #66 of 242

VERY informative post... icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Amy

springlakecake Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 11:35am
post #67 of 242

LEK: I just lightly pressed the stick into the completely transfer, then covered it completely with more melted chocolate!

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:50pm
post #68 of 242

i didnt have lollipop sticks so i used some bbq skewers, worked great!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 5:57pm
post #69 of 242

Regarding the wire, some people have posted horror stories regarding RUST! icon_eek.gif
Personally, I prefer little straws if the chocolate is small.

katycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katycc Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:41pm
post #70 of 242

wow, merissa, i think your CTs are the best i have seen! i tried this as well and LOVED doing them, but i had problems getting all the air bubles out. how did you ensure that yours were really smooth? the chocolate seems to get hard pretty quickly so i had a fair amount of 'seams' in mine. i had them resting in a heating pad, so they were plenty warm enough, but perhaps i didn't work quickly enough.

springlakecake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:30pm
post #71 of 242

some of mine do have seams and some bubbles. What does help is that I do them on the clear plastic report covers, so I can carefully lift them up and see if I need to swirl the chocolate around a little to get rid of any imperfections. sometimes you just cant though without messing everything up. Also if you have a large area to fill, a larger hole will work better (I use parchment, so I can just cut it to the size I want)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:06pm
post #72 of 242

Check out :
http://www.chocolateart.com.au/
Really interesting use of chocolate transfers... icon_smile.gif

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #73 of 242

what r these transfers???how do u do them and where can i learn about doing them? Are they means of getting ur favourite pic on the cakes to be iced?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #74 of 242

very cute

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:19pm
post #75 of 242

I tried my first CT yesterday using a clear report cover and it worked nicely. I had some bubbles and need to smooth it out a bit, but for my first attempt I was happy.

We ate it before I took a picture, but I'll definitely be doing CT's in the future. I love them!

new2bake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:25pm
post #76 of 242

Hi ... can anyone plz tell me how to, if its possible, have barney or anything barney related done on cupcakes/cookies? There's a barney themed party coming up and the lady has asked me if i can come up w/ barney on cupcakes,etc.
Also, i dont have any barney shaped pan so is it possible to get barney picture on a sheet cake....if yes, then how??? Thanks in advance for anyones help!

springlakecake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:26pm
post #77 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bake

what r these transfers???how do u do them and where can i learn about doing them? Are they means of getting ur favourite pic on the cakes to be iced?

They are chocolate images...

Just read through this entire thread and you will find many tips, links to tutorials, suggestions etc.

springlakecake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:30pm
post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bake

Hi ... can anyone plz tell me how to, if its possible, have barney or anything barney related done on cupcakes/cookies? There's a barney themed party coming up and the lady has asked me if i can come up w/ barney on cupcakes,etc.
Also, i dont have any barney shaped pan so is it possible to get barney picture on a sheet cake....if yes, then how??? Thanks in advance for anyones help!

My suggestion is to start a new post with your question. It will give more people an opportunity to help you. You might want to post it in this forum or perhaps the cake ideas forum.

But to answer your question you could do a frozen buttercream transfer of barney on a sheet cake, or an edible image if you can get your hands on a barney one. You could do little barney chocolate transfers to put on cupcakes...

new2bake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 6:52pm
post #79 of 242

actually, i accidently posted barney question in this forum!! anyway, Merissa i am so excited to see that cake of urs with Winni the pooh decors that im dying to make one myself...the only problem is that we dont have candy melts in my place so whats the substitution? Also, what exactly is the heating pad u all r talking about and what to do if u dont have that???

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:30pm
post #80 of 242

Can someone clarify for me please......I'm not finding any difference between a FBCT and a chocolate transfer except that one is made with buttercream icing and one is made with chocolate. Am I right or wrong?

springlakecake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:32pm
post #81 of 242

Well a heating pad it like what we use when we have sore backs etc. Like you plug it in and it warms up. You dont have to do that, it just keeps the chocolate warm and ready to use. You can always just pop it back in the microwave or find an alternative to keep the chocolate warm. I thought I read where someone used like a skillet (maybe with a towel in it??) on low I guess.

I am not really sure about the candy melt thing. The reason candy melts are used it because they melt better. regular chocolate that is melted and cooled will leave that whitish film on it unless it is tempered I think. I really am not an expert on the chocolate thing. I think i read where someone had used almond bark instead of candy melts. Might be a good separate post about what the alternatives to candy melts would be.

springlakecake Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:37pm
post #82 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsushi

Can someone clarify for me please......I'm not finding any difference between a FBCT and a chocolate transfer except that one is made with buttercream icing and one is made with chocolate. Am I right or wrong?

Well you are right that they are pretty much the same method. A FBCT you would use buttercream and then freeze and then apply to cake. It obviously will thaw out and will be cut with the cake. A chocolate transfer will cool down and become hard. You can stand them straight up on a cake or apply then to the sides of a cake easily. You can do very tiny images with them, whereas a FBCT probably would be better on a slightly larger scale.

You cant always use them interchangably a CT is better in some circumstances and a FBCT would be better in others. I have a few examples in my photos...FBCT is the hibiscus, winnie the pooh smash cake, tractor cake and CT's are the sponge bob cake, fireman cake, winnie the pooh (blue) cake. HTH

ckkerber Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #83 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Well a heating pad it like what we use when we have sore backs etc. Like you plug it in and it warms up. You dont have to do that, it just keeps the chocolate warm and ready to use. You can always just pop it back in the microwave or find an alternative to keep the chocolate warm. I thought I read where someone used like a skillet (maybe with a towel in it??) on low I guess.

I use an electric skillet . . . it's one of those rectangular ones with a lid that has a small cord and a dial to regulate temperature. I like it because you can set it on low, lay a dish towel inside as a buffer, and it's big enough to keep all of the chocolate bags and bowls warm and just the right consistency. It works the same as the heating pad.

katycc Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 4:32pm
post #84 of 242

yay, gave CTs another try, and although they aren't perfect yet, i just get more and more excited about them. the list of possibilities for them seems endless, and i keep sketching different ideas i have for using these. i actually took a day off of work this week just to sit at home and practice. ended up with a table full of flowers in different colors. had a party last night, so ended up making a cake (in my photos) just so i could use some of them. now if they could just put more hours in the day gosh darnit! icon_smile.gif

ckkerber Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #85 of 242

katycc-- beautiful cake! How did you get those white "outlined" flowers on the side to be so thin and delicate without breaking?

I love chocolate transfers, too. They're my favorite technique so far. I'm working on a chocolate bonfire for the top of a cake for next weekend.

katycc Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #86 of 242

ha ha, that is the joy of having a whole tableful because they DID break a lot, although much easier to work with than say royal icing and taste better too, IMO. CTs are the best!!!

ckkerber Posted 21 Oct 2006 , 5:26pm
post #87 of 242

That's why I love CT's . . . they look AND taste good!

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:09am
post #88 of 242

Great thread!
Now, what if I don't have a heating pad nor an electric skillet? Is there a way to make it more convenient without having to go to the microwave all the time?
Do you use tips or just cut out a hole in the parchment bag? Is it ok to use the plastic disposable bags?

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:25am
post #89 of 242

I use chocolate transfers ALL THE TIME! Any cake that requires lettering...it's a transfer.

I use candy melts and I still get the white film on it sometimes. Could it be the wax paper? Am I getting it too hot?

springlakecake Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 11:28am
post #90 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by malika

Great thread!
Now, what if I don't have a heating pad nor an electric skillet? Is there a way to make it more convenient without having to go to the microwave all the time?
Do you use tips or just cut out a hole in the parchment bag? Is it ok to use the plastic disposable bags?

Do you have anything else that says warm for awhile? Like maybe those gel packs for keeping food warm or something? It wont be too bad if you have to go back to the microwave once in awhile.

I just cut a hole in the parchment bag. even the tip 1 is too big for what I want to do sometimes. I ususally have a tiny tiny hole for the outline or fine details.

I am sure many people use the plastic bags. I just thought parchment would be more ecconomical.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%