Buttercream Roses Edges Are Jaggedy Help Asap!

Decorating By jreimer Updated 6 Aug 2016 , 4:51am by kakeladi

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #1 of 26

I have NEVER figured out buttercream roses - I stray from them as much as I can. I was trying to make some ahead of time for a cake on Sat tonight... and my edges are jaggedy. I usually use my bakery's buttercream, but when I use that, my roses just seem to melt into each other - not really having any petals. So tonight I went back to the Wilton recipe, because I didn't have problems in class - but now the edges of the petals are jaggedy. It seems like the buttercream is too thick, but I don't want to thin it either.... suggestions???? ASAP!!

25 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:28am
post #2 of 26

Seems like it is too thick (I am NOT a expert on roses but...), I have heard of people using karo syrup to thin a little bit...I hope somebody with more experience with these little buggers comes along soon

Sorry Im not a lot of help.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #3 of 26

Try 2 things - just add a little bit of corn syrup, and use the pointy end of the flower nail to pry open the narrow end of the petal tip the *tiniest* bit.

Broken edges are from not enough icing coming out of the tip (not enough pressure). Opening the tip a bit will help that, and the corn syrup will help it to stretch rather than break.

Good luck.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:31am
post #4 of 26

If the edges are jaggedy, then the buttercream is too thick. Thin it a LITTLE with a few drops of corn syrup and then try again. If still too thick, add a little more. The key is to thin it a eetsy weetsy bit at a time til you get the right consistency, otherwise you'll end up over doing it.

jreimer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:32am
post #5 of 26

thanks, i did check the tip and tried another one even, so I don't think its that. I'll try the corn syrup - i didn't think of that, I did add a little more crisco though, but that didn't seem to help. Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:40am
post #6 of 26

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your tip, but I teach Wilton and have had so many students come through that just don't have the strength to squeeze the stiff icing out of the tip.

One day as an experiment I tried opening the narrow end of the tip just a bit for a student that was having a particularly difficult time with cracked petals. It was just enough that she was able to produce some really beautiful roses, so I've been recommending it ever since!

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:48am
post #7 of 26

Like the previous posts say, you'll need to thin your icing just a little and possibly use a bit more pressure. Should work like a charm!

Katie

Rosalinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosalinda Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:42am
post #8 of 26

I agree that your buttercream is TOO stiff. Make sure you are adding the correct amount of water (2tbs) to start with, then I add teaspoons since I found adding tablespoons makes it too thin.

bncncnmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bncncnmn Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:53am
post #9 of 26

I had the same problem and no matter what I did they always came out jagged so I finally bought the can of wilton frossting it works every time.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:04am
post #10 of 26

I had this problem too and instead of thinning the icing (which could lead to droopage if you're not careful) I tried instead to warm it slightly. I noticed that when I first started having cracked edges, it tended to dissipate as I worked through the bag to the icing that had been warmed by my hands. So I gently warmed the icing first before bagging, now I don't have that problem.

I will say - just as a side note - that in nature, some varieties of roses have jagged-edged petals when they bloom. I think if you're having some roses with jagged edges and some without, and you mix them together in their placement, it might actually look pretty realistic. Just a thought!

jreimer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:07am
post #11 of 26

Well, I'm not sure what my problem is... Aaagh... I HATE buttercream roses - am I doomed as a decorator if I can't make them?!? lol. I can do just about anything else but those...

So I thinned out my icing... a little at a time... still jaggedy... and now on top of them being jagged, I think its too thin because they're kind of 'melting' together... not defining the petals very well.

I'll try the tip suggestion... that may help.

At this point, I'm glad I have a MIL that decorates, so she may be doing my roses for this cake.... I hate asking her to do that though.... so frustrating. I LOVE decorating, and then I get an order for just the buttercream roses, will not take the fondant, and I struggle so much and I end up hating decorating until that cake it outta here!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:30am
post #12 of 26

Well jreimer - I will say this. I checked out your photos and your other non-BC-rose-related work is so breathtaking, I don't think you'd have a problem getting cake orders. So what you aren't good at BC roses. phooey! Your other talents shine through!!!!

I especially admire your fondant covered square cakes. I can't even get my rounds to smooth out....and I'm waaaay too chicken to try square!

YOU GO GIRL!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:42am
post #13 of 26

I started reading this thread hoping to learn a few tricks about roses (and I have! Thank you!) But I went to your gallery and looked at your cakes and wow are they gorgeous! I haven't even tried fondant yet but you inspire me to give it a shot!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:59am
post #14 of 26

Piping gel works wonders for "cabbage" roses as well.

jreimer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:53am
post #15 of 26

Thanks for the compliments on my cakes! That really cheered me up icon_smile.gif

It just really bums me out when I can't do something that seems so easy to other people.... ugh. I thought about the piping gel as I was putting in the corn syrup - I almost switched to that instead but I thought that might be even thinner, so I didn't want to go TOO far....

I just don't understand what do to do make it better anymore. icon_cry.gif I guess I'm gonna have to just practice practice practice to get it right...

jreimer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 26

Do you think the new 0g Trans fat Crisco could be causing this??

I was explaining to my husband last night that I just didn't get why I couldn't do it because I really thought it was the icing - because I could make roses in Wilton class just fine - so I went back to the Wilton icing - which i used the new Crisco.... our other icing uses our bakery shortening.... I'm just hoping there's hope for me yet icon_smile.gif

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 26

Maybe you are too hard on yourself. When I took my one and only cake decorating class...way too many years ago. icon_biggrin.gif My instructor had everyone in class give her our two worst roses. She decorated a cake with our "worst" roses...and it was a beautiful cake. So don't beat yourself up. You do beautiful work, so don't sweat the roses. They will get better. Besides, most people don't look at our cakes and see the imperfections...we are the only ones who do that!! Most people just see a beautiful cake creation. Your cakes are beautiful...and your roses will be too.

jreimer Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 26

Just to let you all know, I do think it was the new Crisco that made me struggle so much on Weds - my MIL did my roses for me last night (I can't thank her enough!!) - and she tried it with the icing I made and she said it just seemed separated and it had to be something with the shortening... I need to try it again now with the icing she made, but I don't think I have time this weekend to play around with that! icon_smile.gif

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:45pm
post #19 of 26

I just wanted to "pipe" in with my two cents. I totally agree with Delights when she said that a little jagged edging is ok. I also think they are a little more realistic looking. BUT there is surely a line when they look ridiculous.

I'm curious to find out what works for you!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:56pm
post #20 of 26

My icing is almost always too thick and I *hate* emptying the bag to think it!!

That's my biggest problem, getting the right consistency of my icing!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:10pm
post #21 of 26

When I took my wilton course I, half of us made our icing according to the recipe and half of the class bought their canned icing. Those of us who made the icking, like wilton says, came out with roses with jagged edges. However, the roses made from the canned icing came out very smooth. I guess that if you want smooth roses, you just have to break down and buy their icing.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #22 of 26

I'm here to chime in and agree that adding piping gel helps. I also add it to my icing when I'm making grass/fur and also leaves. It pipes much smoother for me that way.

katazyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katazyna Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 8:37am
post #23 of 26

I am having this very issue with my piping! 
It drives me absolutely crazy! I use the wilton frosting in class because I know it will come out smooth...That way I dont look I don't know what I am doing while teaching class.

My homemade however is 1 cup butter and 2 cups crisco. and it always cracks on my petals ribbon ect and its miserable. I will have to try the piping gel but how much do you typically need to add per cup? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 3:06am
post #24 of 26

katazyna.... this is a very old post and I have not gone back to read all the replies and helpful hints in it.  It sounds like your icing is not creamy enough.  How long do you beat it?  I know many people think 'just enough to mix it'  - as little as possiblem but I have found that if one lets the icing stir on low for as much as 10-15 minutes it will become very smooth and creamy allowing great piping results.  Since you don't give the full recipe this is just a guess.  Don;t add extra liquid - tht just thins it out and you loose control of your piping.  Hope this helps you.

katazyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katazyna Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 8:14am
post #25 of 26

I use 1c butter/ 2c shortening/ 1 tbsp vanilla and 7 to 9 c powered sugar. (Depending on how firm I need It to be.)

I rarely add any liquid. I usually cream it very well. I try to make it as least 1 day in advance because it seems to help make it creamier letting the sugar fully absorb the fats.

I don't think I have ever creamed it that long though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 4:51am
post #26 of 26

One other possib ility is that your tip isn't totally clean - has built up residue on the narrow side/end.  Make sure it's perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%