Anyone Use Play-Doh Molds For Fondant??

Decorating By mconrey Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 1:30pm by coolmom

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:23am
post #1 of 25

Okay - my daughter is playing with Play-doh right now and I just realized that those little molds and extruders would be fantastic for making fondant ropes and little shapes. Has anyone done this? They're just plastic, so they would be food-safe, right? (Obviously, I'd use my "own" and not use ones that have been played with.) Just a thought....Didn't know if anyone else has tried it!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

24 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:32am
post #2 of 25

I've heard that not all plastic is food safe. Some plastics have chemicals that can leech out into food items. The plastic used for food does not contain these chemicals or are safeguarded in some way.

(I am not a scientist and this just what I have heard and gathered in my research. Further research should be made into this subject before taking my word. icon_smile.gif )

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:33am
post #3 of 25

Many people on the site have actually gone out and bought their own play-doh mold to use with fondant! Something I am going to invest in soon as well! There was a thread a week or so ago of people talking about the things that they use around the house to help in the cake decorating process. icon_smile.gif I will try to find it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:34am
post #4 of 25

yes, use them
not worried as made for play-doh, which we all know is going to end up in a child's mouth (and hair, and clothes, in the carpet, on the dog....etc.)

has to be food safe for around kids as so much ends up in their mouths!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:35am
post #5 of 25

I have never used them but I know a while back I did read a thread on using play-doh molds work great for fondant! Since than I have been wanting to try it but have not had the need to yet. Some say that the plastic is not safe but most people do not eat the fondant anyway and really, how bad can just a bite of it be for you anyway? Not much worse than breathing the polluted air, right?

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:48am
post #6 of 25

i have thought about using these too, but i just brought a plastic clay gun extruder online, and it came with 12 different shape ends for rope, hair etc and it was only about $20.00. i have used it with fondant and gum paste and i think it is fantastic.

but i guess the play doh one's would work fine.

kylie

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:57am
post #7 of 25

Yes, I've heard of it being used for fondant, mainly ropes. I was mulling over whether to get it or not myself last week at Target.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:03am
post #8 of 25

I just tried it the other day and it worked great. We found a play doh set that my daughter got for her birthday and never opened, so she said i could have it. We made spaghetti and meatballs. I was just trying it out to see if it worked. So I'm definately gonna use it for cakes. HTH, Kristen

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:05am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse

i have thought about using these too, but i just brought a plastic clay gun extruder online, and it came with 12 different shape ends for rope, hair etc and it was only about $20.00. i have used it with fondant and gum paste and i think it is fantastic.

but i guess the play doh one's would work fine.

kylie

Kylie/matisse .... where did you buy your clay gun online? I would like to buy one, and that seems like a great price for all of the different shapes you got with it.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:24am
post #10 of 25

I got the idea while watching my son play with his play-doh. Ever since then I have been waiting for mine to come in...Hope I can do some things with it...

sweet_as_tisse Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #11 of 25

hi cakebyjess

im in australia, and i found an australian website called "the clay princess" and that is where i purchased the clay gun from, i would think, they ship world wide so you could google search the name and see.

hope this helps

kylie

sweet_as_tisse Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:20am
post #12 of 25

hi cakesbyjess

i just checked the site again and the gun i got was the makins brand and it actually came with 20 different shapes and was only $10.15 but then i think i paid around $10.00 for postage.

kylie

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:32am
post #13 of 25

I was just at Target yesterday getting a birthday gift for a friends daughter. We were standing in the play-do isle and I was eyeballing every kit they had..my 8 year old daughter looked at me and in the most annoyed way...."you wanna use that for fondant, don't you!"......so I grinned and said, "em, er, yea!" She laughed and said, "I knew it!"

Thanks for asking....I was wonder myself.

cakesbyjess Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:39am
post #14 of 25

Thanks Kylie! I will check out that website! I appreciate the info! icon_smile.gif

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:16am
post #15 of 25

Ok, I have to admit, I have been on a play-doh hunt myself these last few days. I have been to two different walmarts and none of them have the fun factory set I've heard other people talking about. I think I even saw where someone got it on clearance. Did they stop making them? icon_cry.gif I've heard so many good things about them on this site I just HAVE to have one now and I can't find one.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:08am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella

Ok, I have to admit, I have been on a play-doh hunt myself these last few days. I have been to two different walmarts and none of them have the fun factory set I've heard other people talking about. I think I even saw where someone got it on clearance. Did they stop making them? icon_cry.gif I've heard so many good things about them on this site I just HAVE to have one now and I can't find one.

Check ebay, I just saw one on there for pretty cheap.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:25am
post #17 of 25

This is funny! I was coming on just now to throw out this very question. Ever since I got the bug to make a pillow cake for my grandaughter's b-day in Oct. I've been wondering why I couldn't use some play-doh stuff to make the rope and tassles. Thanks to you all for responding early to my question. LOL
I'm checking out our Wal Mart tomorrow.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 25

ABSOLUTELY! I use the cutters all the time, much cheaper than 'official' fondant ones, and come in many more shapes!! Have fun!

rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:13pm
post #19 of 25

I looked on eBay for a Fun Factory and I found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAY-DOH-DECORATE-N-CELEBRATE-CAKE-SET_W0QQitemZ230014025329QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11740QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I lauged so hard when I saw that. Maybe that would be a good gift for those of you who have kids that are always wanting to play with the real cakes.

I did find a Fun Factory but I think I'm going to check the Wal Mart here before I bid on anything. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAY-DOH-FUN-FACTORY-PLAYSET-NEW_W0QQitemZ290005898623QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11740QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

zonamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zonamom Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:25pm
post #20 of 25

Try KB toys...I found one for my daughter there about two weeks ago for 5.99. I think I may go back for me!

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #21 of 25

I bought me one of the original Play Doh Fun Factory's on E-bay early this morning for $4.50...brand new, to use with my fondant icings...I got a really awesome deal, and would suggest anyone who is in the market for one to check e-bay as well..not sure if they are still making and selling the original ones anymore. Most of them are theme based these days

Happy Baking,Mary birthday.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 7:40pm
post #22 of 25

rachmakescakes ... I don't know if you noticed or not, but the eBay link you provided for the fun factory is in Australia, so you'll pay international shipping on that item if you purchase it. Just FYI. icon_smile.gif

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:52am
post #23 of 25

Hmm, guess all the good, cheap fun factory toys were bought, b/c didn't find any in the US. Oh well, maybe I can go to a toy store in the next town over and find one. icon_biggrin.gif (I think I'll keep it to myself though, my husband may think I am nuts, lol)

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 10:13am
post #24 of 25

Here's a recipe for play dough that you can eat!
Ingredients

2 cups plain flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
food colouring
Method

Mix ingredients in a pan and stir while heating gently

When dough is formed tip out and cool on grease proof
paper
When cool kneed until smooth
Store in airtight container in a cool place

I have to admit that I can't resist a little nibble of its salty gooness when I make it. It can also be used to make drying moulds for fondant. i.e. when moulding a shoe you can use playdoh to make the curve of the arch, then place your fondant over it to dry in the right shape. Best put a piece of tissue paper in between the playdoh and fondant to stop them sticking together

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 1:30pm
post #25 of 25

I just found (and bought of course hehe icon_lol.gif ) a clay gun at AC Moore for $8.99. It works great. I tried it out as soon as I got home!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%