Box Cake Mix

Business By MaMaCreates3 Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm by Grinnergirl

MaMaCreates3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaMaCreates3 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 16

I took a Wilton Class on cake decorating and they suggested using Duncan Hines Cake mix. I was just wondering if it is okay to sell a cake using box cake mix with homemade frosting and fillings.

15 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 16

Yes, it is absolutely okay! A lot of people (myself included) doctor the boxed mixes with extra ingredients to enhance it. There are several great recipe for cake mix extenders in the recipe section.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 16

This is a MAJOR issue with CC'ers lol... some say no some say yeah...

The way I look at it is this...

The store bakery sells cakes that were made somewhere else, then shipped to them frozen, thawed and decorated, then refrigerated until purchase.

I purchase fresh eggs, fresh milk, fresh oil, so on, I buy a cake mix in a box. It's already got my dry ingredients already pre-messured for me. I mix in my fresh ingredients and add more fresh ingredients such as fillings and icings, and sell my product as a freshly made cake. My customers don't really care if it's scratch or box but some have requested box because scratch has no flavor at all... and the texture is just blah!

I think it's all about personal preference. But be forewarned this is a very touchy subject and normally ends in a locked topic lol icon_smile.gif

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 16

I do it all the time. There have been numerous post on this subject too and you'll be surprised how many and how long some of us have been using Duncan Hines or other cake mixes. I used to work for a bakery that once upon a time used cake mix for their cakes...they buy frozen now. My Wilton teacher actually has a successful wedding cake biz and that's all she use is Duncan Hines.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 16

I've done it for years and the lady I took classes from 25 years ago and still has her shop uses DH cake mixes. HTH

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 16

I do it all the time. There have been numerous post on this subject too and you'll be surprised how many and how long some of us have been using Duncan Hines or other cake mixes. I used to work for a bakery that once upon a time used cake mix for their cakes...they buy frozen now. My Wilton teacher actually has a successful wedding cake biz and that's all she use is Duncan Hines.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 16

Sure it is. icon_smile.gif

This method even has a catchy name, "speed scratch":

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-223341-.html

I used Betty Crocker and Pillsbury interchangeably for the last 20 years (becasue I was boycotting Procter & Gamble).

Last year, I relented and used Duncan Hines, and it is now my cake mix of choice.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 16

Have you ever seen those big giant commercial cake mixes in Sam's, GFS and Sysco? You think they only sell those to housewives? Why do you think that all things made in bakeries and restaurants are made "from scratch"? icon_confused.gif If that was true, then GFS and Sysco wouldn't stock canned and frozen veggies ..... it would be all fresh. They wouldn't have anything frozen in stock, they wouldn't sell instant potatoes and canned icing and powdered punch and lemonade.

Dont' live in a dilusional world. When I have a bride ask me if I "...use fresh or frozen?" I tell them, "Well, I dont' grow my own corn and I dont' kill my own chicken."

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 16

tapedshut.gif ....cause yall know how I get,...muahaha... tapedshut.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 16

Indydebi.........................hahahahahahahahaa we must meet!!!!

Cheneya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheneya Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 16

I definately can't be considered a professional, but I do decorate/sell about 5 cakes a month. I only use boxed cake mix. I have tried a few "from scratch" recipes with absolutely no luck. I think as long as you are honest about it, then more power to you!!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 16

Oh good! SOmeone else who is also warped and demented! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Well, I dont' grow my own corn and I dont' kill my own chicken."

Been there, done that. icon_twisted.gif

Growing corn I'd do again, if I had enough time and incentive. icon_rolleyes.gif

But if we had to kill our own chickens; we'd probably all be vegetarians. tapedshut.gif

flavaz scoop shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavaz scoop shop Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 16

as long as the cake is good and no one is comlaining about the taste and the quality of the cake, it shouldn't matter whether it's a box cake or not

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:15pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I have a bride ask me if I "...use fresh or frozen?" I tell them, "Well, I dont' grow my own corn and I dont' kill my own chicken."

ROFLMToookyO

a TRUE, direct plain-spoken daughter of the Midwest!!!

(this from a similar son of the midwest! -- oh I get myself in soooo much trouble sometimes w/ the way I shoot from the LIP)

Grinnergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grinnergirl Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 16

Dear MaMa....as I say...I am sure I probably scratched myself at some point in the cake baking process....so doesn't that make it a scratch cake...ha! My mother-in-law used to say "you can't get out of the pot what you first don't put in to it". With that in mind, I figure that Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, etc. have it all perfected enough for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%