How Do You Make Shells Look Real?

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 16 Sep 2006 , 6:04am by 7yyrt

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 19

I have been doing seashell for wedding cakes for awhile but I've always just made chocolate shells and dry brushed luster dust (usually peal dust) on evenly just to make them shinny. I would really like to know how to paint them so they look like REAL shells. (With the lines, the different colors ect. )
I have tries to just dry brush the shells with differnent colors but that didn't work well they just turned into a big mess. I have also tried to use the alcohol but everytime I painted the shells the alcohole just rolled off and didn't stick. What am I doing wrong??? Please HELP!!!!! I have to do a shell cake tis weekend and I would like the shell to be more realistic.
Thanks

18 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 19

I didn't have any luck with luster dust, either. Not sure what I did wrong. I use candy melts in my molds. First, I combine candy melt colors, say a tiny bit of orange with white to get a peach color. Then I use my small brush to paint the inside of the mold and let it set, then I pour the white or light brown candy melts into the mold. They turn out great. There are colors that you can use with white chocolate; make sure they are oil-based.

cakejayhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejayhawk Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 19

I make all my seashells out of fondant, I push them in the molds then whack it on the counter to get them out, oh, dust the molds with powdered sugar first. The luster dust sticks really well to fondant, the super pearl dust really looks nice.[/u]

cakejayhawk Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 19

I make all my seashells out of fondant, I push them in the molds then whack it on the counter to get them out, oh, dust the molds with powdered sugar first. The luster dust sticks really well to fondant, the super pearl dust really looks nice.[/u]

cakejayhawk Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 19

fantasy_art Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fantasy_art Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 19

I took a class with marco Antonio Lopez Sanchez who is like"the master" of all that kind of stuff. I'm putting a link to his web site hoping it helps you some.

http://www.newcake.com/english/main.htm

I've seen him work. for some shells he rolls out a small sqaure of 3:1 and drags a hair comb over it to give it lines.Folds it in half hortizontally brings edges together and puts one inside the other. Then paints with chalk colors. He also has a book out. Its called, "Fantasy Art and Sugar". In the book it goes step by step on how he make shells and other stuff we all wish we knew how to do.

It would take a while but if you are interested you could send me a prvate mesg and i would be glad to go through his book with you telling you what i see to do. Like I said, just trying to help.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 19

I also use fondant, I put a little piece of light brown, grey & white & mix them all into the candy mould. you can see them in my photos.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:12am
post #8 of 19

I use fondant or gumpaste for my shells and the silicone molds.

I dry paint them with luster dusts and several different shades of peach and orange dusts.

Lindascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindascakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 19

Help, I need photos! How do you make edible seashells for a cake? What are the easiest molds to use and can you use any kind of color.

I see some use chocolate and some use fondant - please send a website or step-by-step photo instructions, if anyone can. I am a visual learner.

Thank you,
Linda

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 19

Linda-

There is a cake in my pictures that has gumpaste shells that I painted with thinned icing colors, luster dust and sparkle dust. It should give you an idea. I just molded them in the Wilton candy mold, and then painted with icing colors thinned with vodka using a fine brush.

Chris

Lindascakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 19

Thank you Chris,

How do i find your pictures?

Linda

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 19

just click on the "Photos" button at the bottom of one of my posts. It will take you right to them. The cake you're looking for is blue with rainbow shaded coral on the top...I think it's in the 2nd or 3rd row, left hand side of the page. HTH!

Chris

Lindascakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 19

Thank you Chris!

I see the photo link now, I never noticed the different buttons in the message. NICE!

Your cake is beautiful is the coral real or how did you make that! Wow! the seashell look real. I hope I can do it!

Linda

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 19

Linda,

There is a coral design in the template section that you can make royal icing coral for your cake!!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 19

To get a realistic effect your can marbelize white or tan fondant with a darker brown fondant. Final product can be brushed with luster dust.

Lindascakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:21pm
post #16 of 19

A huge thank you to all of you! I made the seashells out of fondant and they came out great. I could not have done it without all of the experienced tips!

I appreciate your replies and this website!

Ciao,
Linda

Lindascakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 19

Kiddiekakes

Thank you for your reply, where is the template section? Sorry I am not too good at this.

Your cake website if very nice! I love your wedding cookies, and the baptism cross cake is gorgeous.
Ciao,
Linda

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 4:59pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Linda,

There is a coral design in the template section that you can make royal icing coral for your cake!!

I don't see it, can anybody help me find it?

TIA

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 6:04am
post #19 of 19

Look up there ^^^ click the galleries button.
Scroll down to the bottom you'll find
Sketches & Patterns & Templates
they are in there.
Happy to help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%