Cheesecake Wedding Cake

Decorating By AngelaP Updated 10 Dec 2008 , 4:07am by LKing12

AngelaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaP Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 7

I just came across a cheesecake wedding in the wilton site. Has anyone ever done one? My bride is getting married in September - and I am thinking that strawberries would be hard to come by at that time of year. Do you think they would freeze alright and not be a goopy mess? Or would you use the ready made pie/cheesecake topping? I am thinking that you would charge the same as a fondant cake or would you charge a little more? Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it!!

6 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 7

you can buy frozen strawberries at the supermarket if you need to or use a canned pie filling - cherry or blueberry.

Deb

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 7

i make cheesecakes on a weekly basis.....and as you can see from my posts, will be making my first cheesecake wedding cake for my daughter in august... icon_eek.gif

i have seen the wilton one you are talking about....i acutally plan on using the three tiered stand in her wedding....i will tell you from my experience it is much better to use the can toppings...... frozen strawberries will get mushy and you'll end up having to thicken it.....i will also tell you that i have bought the large (commericial size) toppings....and i would not recommend them....they do not taste as good as the smaller cans......as far as price goes....cheesecakes are expensive to make....so make sure you consider that when you are pricing........good luck!

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

i'v never done a cheesecake wedding cake... but i have used cheesecake as a filling between 2 laters of cake with rapberry preserves... its yummy... i just made the cheesecake without a crust

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 7

dlp,
You seem to have lots of experience with cheesecakes, so I have a question for you...or anyone else with any ideas!

I have been asked to make a cheesecake wedding cake in August, my first. I have made many cheesecakes, but never for a wedding cake, and the bride has requested decorations...ugh! I have done some internet searches and found a couple of different things, one bakery actually ices the entire cheesecake in buttercream and decorates it just like a regular cake. I think that would taste awful...yuck! I also found a baker that uses a refigerated cheesecake filling after the cheesecake is baked to "ice" and decorate the cake. And I found a recipe for this in the cake bible as well.

Have you ever used anything similar? I am just curious, as the bride has asked for all white w/ pink polka dots all over the cakes...and I had no idea what to do. I did ask if she had a pic or anything where she got the idea and she didn't, it was just her idea!

AngelaP,
My bride just wants all plain vanilla cheesecake and we will do a little "bar" of toppings on the side. She did ask about fresh berries and since hers is late in the summer, I told her we'd have to see what's available at the time, but you can make a great topping from the frozen strawberries, as well. Are you making just a topping for the cheesecakes? I think that would work very well--sometimes if you are cooking it I think the frozen berries are better because they are so juicy!
As for pricing, I just figured out my cost and time and tried to go from there, I didn't think I could really price like any other cake as it is so different in time and materials.

Good luck--and thanks for any help you can provide!

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 7

JessicaM...i do have years of experience with cheesecakes.....but the funny thing is i'm in the same predicament as you are....i am doing my first cheesecake wedding cake for my daughter icon_surprised.gif and her wedding is in August!!!!

my first thought was to cover it in fondant.....but from what i've been told that will not do well refrigerated

my second thought is to cover it in chocolate clay.....but i will also tell you that i was told on another forum that someone did decorate theirs in buttercream and it was wonderful so i'm really leaning toward that with fondant flowers for accents

what sizes are you planning to do.....and have you thought about stacking or not......these were some of my questions too.............my daughter wants a 14"......which i made (first time ever made a cheesecake that big!!!) and its sitting in my refirgerator right now....i'm going to make a few other sizes and freeze them all...(cheesecakes freeze well....some even think they are better after frozen) and within the next few weeks i'm going to experiment with all of the above to see which method works out best......if you'll send me a pm (i've never done that before...not sure how it works) with your email....i'll email you back and we can exchange notes as we experiment

i will tell you this- i do plan on making all of the cheesecakes i need in july and freezing them......and if your bride wants the vanilla kind that should be no problem for you......

i have felt so much better since i found this forum....it wonderful to think i have a new set of friends....so willing to share..... usaribbon.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

I know this is well after the wedding. But, what worked best and what have you changed since? I have a cheese cake wedding in February and the bride isn't sure about buttercream icing or whipped icing. I am also considering doing a cookie crust rather than a graham cracker crust. Any help will be appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%