Best Cake Type For Fondant Icing

Decorating By lucy1900 Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 11:34pm by lucy1900

lucy1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy1900 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:06am
post #1 of 4

Hey Ya'll. I'm looking for suggestions for the best white, yellow and chocolate cakes to hold up under fondant icing. My daughter is getting married September 3, and it will still be hot here in Georgia so performance is a big issue for me--the cake decorator : icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 4

Do you bake from scratch or use mixes? I've noticed some mixes are firmer while others tend to crumble more - if you bake from scratch, there are a lot of "pound" cake type recipes that are denser/deflate less with weightthat's not too helpful, but I think as long as you use a firm mix and make sure it's baked compeltely, and then dowel correctly, you should be fine!!!

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 4

If scratch baking.. have you tried..

http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/buttercake_yellow_ultimate.htm

I just made this one and it is WONDERFUL!! everyone loved it.. reminds me of Christmas butter cookies.

Anyway, it was a really dense, heavy cake.. so that's what made me think of it for fondant... not sure about the heat factor but mine was out for a while on a humid, 85 degree day covered in buttercream. problay will be hotter for you though, huh? LOL

lucy1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy1900 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the direction! I just got home and I am going to the references to check out the recipes. Lucy thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%