Cakes Coming Out Of Oven Too Dark....

Decorating By lovincake Updated 22 Jun 2007 , 12:26pm by wysmommy

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

Hey everybody!
I'm having a little problem with my cakes baking up too brown. I use a pkg. of instant pudding, 1 extra egg, milk and oil in Duncan Hines mixes.
I was thinking maybe the pudding and milk are adding too much extra sugar. Any ideas or advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Linda

7 replies
Rosalinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosalinda Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:21am
post #2 of 8

Be sure you are baking the cake at 350 on the center rack. If your cakes are turning too dark before they are done, your oven temp could be the problem. You can also try Bake Even Strips by Wilton that work wonderful. You just the them REALLY wet, pin them to your cake pans and bake your cakes. Hope this helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 8

Get an oven thermometer. I saw another thread yesterday in which someone got the thermometer and found out that even tho' it was set on 350, her cakes were baking at 400, which explained why the tops of her cakes were too brown.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 8

The above answers will all help! I'd also like to add, that if your cake is browning too much on the top before it's cooked through, you can always lower the temp to let it finish cooking. Sometimes cakes with a higher sugar content tend to brown faster so when I notice it i turn the temp down 25 degrees and let the cake finish baking.

lovincake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks all for the advice. The first thing I am going to do is go out and get a thermometer, I never even thought of that, then I'll go from there. I just love this site, someone always has what I need. Linda detective.gif

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 8

I just saw a tip on The Food Network Web-Site that might help. They say placing a pan with water in it on a rack above your cake will take care of cakes browning too fast, or too much.
Good Luck,
Gail

lovincake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 8

Cool, thanks Antilucifer, I will try that next time I bake. I really like the cake recipe I am using so I hope I can fix the browning problem...thanks again!!! Linda icon_smile.gif

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 8

Oh! I want to try that tip! The water in the pan sounds like a cool idea! Thanks for sharing that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%