Buttercream Frosted Cakes In Texas In July

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 3:44am by Parable

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 25

I haven't created a cake for an outdoor function. Depending on the recipe I use half butter/half Crisco or all butter Buttercream.

I do not believe a Buttercream frosted cake will retain it's integrity outside in Texas in July at 4:00 p.m. I have a client that wants a tiered/stacked cake for a outside birthday party.

Do you advice against it and provide a disclaimor? Do you require them to pick up their cake and tell them after it leaves the premises you are not held responsible?

Any advice would be appreciated.

24 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 25

This High Humidity recipe by Val is very popular: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:32am
post #3 of 25

I would advise them to keep it air conditioned as long as possible and make them aware that the melting point for butter is only 86 degrees, and shortening is around 100.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #4 of 25

I would strongly advise against it - it's gonna melt! If the cake cannot be indoors, at least try and talk them into doing the cake in fondant. I can't remember a July here, when it wasn't below 99 degrees outside!

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:50am
post #5 of 25

Don't use Crisco. It won't hold up. The formula for Crisco has changed over the years and is now no good for icing. Get some high ratio shortening, such as sweetex. It is formulated just for icing and bakery needs. It wont be perfect but it will hold up better than anything else.
You can buy it at www.cincicakeandcandy.com.

etigg82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etigg82 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:06am
post #6 of 25

How would the fondant help if there's buttercream underneath? I have the same issue but I thought the buttercream underneath the fondant could melt and cause the fondant to slide around. Has anyone done a fondant cake in the summer? I've only been baking crazy since October, 2006.

THANKS!! icon_biggrin.gif

apwagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apwagner Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:16am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by etigg82

How would the fondant help if there's buttercream underneath? I have the same issue but I thought the buttercream underneath the fondant could melt and cause the fondant to slide around. Has anyone done a fondant cake in the summer? I've only been baking crazy since October, 2006.

THANKS!! icon_biggrin.gif

You can use a glaze under the fondant. You can use a simple syrup underneath too.
You dont have to use buttercream to adhere fondant to the cake. Anything spreadable and sticky works well.

etigg82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etigg82 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #8 of 25

"der" icon_lol.gif THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:15am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Don't use Crisco. It won't hold up. The formula for Crisco has changed over the years and is now no good for icing. Get some high ratio shortening, such as sweetex. It is formulated just for icing and bakery needs. It wont be perfect but it will hold up better than anything else

I use Crisco all the time for my frosting and have never had any trouble with it.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 25

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same thing about the fondant over buttercream, but I figured it would slide also.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

This High Humidity recipe by Val is very popular: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

Won't the milk in recipe spoil? Can you sub water?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 25

the milk in the recipe would be fine. because of the high ratio of sugar to fat, the icing is somewhat protected from spoiling early. the bacteria that cause spoilage need water to grow, but because of the ratio of sugar/fat, the water is suspended. thats a paraphrased explanation from
www.baking911.com

if it makes you feel better, you can use water.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 25

I've made several outdoor cakes in July in Texas, and here's the recipe I use for the icing:

High Humidity Icing:
1 and 1/2 cups shortening
1/4 cup dry Dream Whip
1/3 cup flour, sifted
2 lb bag confectioners' sugar, sifted
2/3 cup water or milk
4 tsp vanilla, or 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp other flavoring

Combine shortening and Dream Whip, mixing well on low speed. Add wet
and dry ingredients alternately, and mix. Do NOT over mix. Denser than
buttercream, and good for roses and other flowers. One batch is more than enough for a 2 layer 8" cake.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 25

I would use an all crisco receipe. I have never had a problem. Good luck.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 25

How about fillings? What kind of cake fillings do you use for hot outdoor wedding and parties?
Jacqui

miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:59pm
post #16 of 25

For fillings, I use the pastry filling that come in plastic sleeves like these: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=pastry%20filling&page=-1

I use then straight out of the container, or sometimes 50/50 with BC.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 25

My recipe for high humidity buttercream (in the recipe section) schould be fine for your cake. I recently did a cake (for testing purposes) and put it in the direct sun for 6 hours, the temp was 98-100. and the icing never melted and my roses did not droop. I would post pics for you but my comp. is being wierd.

Val

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:18pm
post #18 of 25

Val's High Humidity buttercream was put to the test last weekend. I travelled 41 miles with no AC and it held up excellently in the heat!! I was worried it would not be good since my DH, for some unknown reason, always found the craziest bumps on the road icon_lol.gif Well, much to my surprise, my cake arrived safely and intact!! This is the only BC I will use this summer thumbs_up.gif

FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 25

I will have to try the High Humidity Buttercream. Thanks

melysa Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #20 of 25

what is dream whip (in that h.h. recipe) and where do you buy it? can you taste the flour in the recipe???

miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

what is dream whip (in that h.h. recipe) and where do you buy it?

This is Dream Whip: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/ProductsPromotions/D-F/DreamWhip.htm

It is found in the baking section of the grocery, near the instant pudding boxes.

melysa Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #22 of 25

thanks miriel, thats what i figured it was. approximately how much is a box? not too expensive, i assume.

miriel Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:44am
post #23 of 25

I can't remember offhand how much I paid for my last one. It was very inexpensive though.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:40am
post #24 of 25

Walmart carries the Dream Whip brand of whipped topping in 2 and 4 pack boxes. The 2 pk. box (here anyway) is just under $2.00. You need almost 1pk. for each batch of icing. I used to buy the store brand when I make my icing, it does not taste any different and it is cheaper. But if you have a store near you that sells bulk food (like a restaurant would order from) you can buy the whipped topping mix in 1lb. bags. I have been getting those for about $3.00 (way, way, way cheaper if you make a lot of icing).
Val

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:44am
post #25 of 25

Val,

Thanks for the p.m. I am so glad I can make this icing ahead of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%