Questions About Martha S Monkey Cake

Decorating By buzzybee Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 5:31am by TPDC

buzzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzzybee Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all, I am so excited for my little boy to turn 1 next month. We are going to have a monkey birthday party for him. We were supposed to go on vacation the week after his birthday but now we are giong before. So we will get back late on the 3rd and his birthday party is the 9th. I was going to make one of those cakes with all the bananas but I don't think I will have time to get it done.

So, I am thinking of making the martha stewart monkey head cake http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3490170 and one banana shaped smash cake. OR small monkey head cakes with a banana smash cake. What do you all think? I don't think baking in a bowl is a good idea so I looked at the betty crocker bake n fill but that looks too flat on top. Which pan should I use maybe the doll body pan? Also should I use buttercream or mmf or a combination? Maybe bc for the brown and mmf for the lighter mouth area?

Ok sorry for so many questions I am just so confused I just haven't had much time to research this cake and I am still new at cake decorating.

TIA!!!!!!!

6 replies
ennove11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ennove11 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 12:36am
post #2 of 7

Hi there. A friend and I made this cake recently for her husband's birthday (she calls him "Monkey"). We knew _nothing at all_ about cake decorating when we did it (we've since completed Wilton Course 1). We did bake the cake in one of her stainless steel mixing bowls and had no problem with that. The bowl was even a little wider than the one used in Martha's pictures, so the resulting head was not as tall. It still looked really cute. Since we didn't know anything we followed here recipe and instructions exactly. We made the buttercream from the recipe she provides. It is an all butter buttercream and was pretty soft, but we were able to work with it. There isn't a whole lot of piping that you have to do on the cake. I'm sure you could substitute whatever buttercream recipe you favor and get good results. We used buttercream for both the brown and yellow parts of the cake. We used licorice drops, like Martha says, for the eyes. We couldn't find licorice string/rope for the mouth and nose, so we piped them in the brown/chocolate buttercream. I guess this isn't much help since we didn't deviate from her recipe/instructions, but just to let you know that her recipe/instructions do work. I'm going to try to attach photos of our cake.
LL
LL

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 7

This is such a cute cake I wish my kids liked monkeys!!!!!!!!!!

buzzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzzybee Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:27am
post #4 of 7

ennove11 - that turned out so cute, and with no cake decorating classes you were brave! Good job.

Anymore tips anyone?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:08am
post #5 of 7

I LOVE the monkey, how cute! Best of luck!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:23am
post #6 of 7

What an adorable cake! Martha comes up with some really cute ideas!!!!

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 5:31am
post #7 of 7

Great Job for not having any cake decorating experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%