What Is The Best Fondant For Making Figures?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 1:35am by maggiev777

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 18

I am new to fondant - I made my first cake with fondant just last week! I used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and liked it just fine, but I heard that MMF is not hte bet for modeling. Why is that? For that cake I made my figures out of Candy Clay (candy melts and corn syrup) but there was a bit of translucence to that that I didn't really love... so I'm wanting to now try with fondant instead. I am planning to make both Toba Garrett's Fondant and Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant (making both just to taste test!) - would those work well for making figures? Any others I should try?

17 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 18

A lot of people use a 50/50 combo of fondant and gumpaste for modelling. You can buy the pre-made gumpaste or make your own. I believe there are recipes out there for gumpaste. Haven't tried them since I only use pre-made. HTH.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 18

Depending on what type of figure your making you can use 50/50 or 100% gumpaste. If you are figures I would suggest using all gumpaste. Ive tried several gumpaste recipes but none have worked right for me. I usually just buy the Satin Ice premade. It keeps well and its easy to work with.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 18

I don't like modeling with MMF because it seems to keep some of the spongy quality of the marshmallows and doesn't seem to want to hold onto details and shapes as well as other fondants. I too use Satin Ice, but have used Collette Peters' recipe too http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-10811-collette.html+peters+recipe

You can mix in gum paste to help it dry faster and stronger, but it really will dry fast, so if you're not sure, you might want to just practice with fondant.

You can also mix candy clay 50/50 with fondant, never tried it before, but seems like it would be a good medium for modeling and tastes good too!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 18

I wondered about this, too.

Has anyone tried adding gumtex to fondant?

Stacie

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 18

I didnt like the way the gumtex worked with the fondant. It didnt work as well as using the premade gumpaste. And believe me, I work with the stuff every single day! My best figures come out using pure gumpaste with no fondant. It holds the molding better. Fondant will spring back so you would be constantly trying to put dents back where you wanted them to be. Even gumpaste does it a little but not as bad as fondant does.
I also didnt like the smell of the gumtex. Even though it tastes ok, it just smelled weird to me!

4sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4sweet Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 18

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Quote:

I wondered about this, too.

Has anyone tried adding gumtex to fondant?

Stacie

I some one told me it will work but i never tryed my self.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 18

I didn't try mixing the gumtex to the fondant. I went ahead and mixed up the gumtex into gumpaste with the recipe on the back of the container (Wiltons) and then mixed it with MMF. It worked well for figures. Alot better than just MMF!

alimonkey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 18

You add 1 t gumtex per 12 oz fondant. I've mostly used this for bows and things that are rolled thin and need to be not just dry, but stronger. You can also add tylose to fondant, but never tried that before.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 18

Here is a link to Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe incase you want to make your own gumpaste. Many CC members rave and recommend this recipe...

http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/GumPaste%20.htm

Also, I would recommend going with the 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture. If you are just starting out with modeling, you might be a bit slower at making them. The 50/50 will give you more working time before it hardens, and yet will let it dry harder/faster then regular fondant. Gumpaste straight dries really quick, and you could end up with cracking as you are working with it. JMHO, Jen

TinaRee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRee Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 18

You can also use RBC to make figures. There are books on this sight for sale that show how to do it, but best of all the recipe for this is in the recipe section and it tastes better than the others. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 18

If you are doing figures, I suggest using all gumpaste. I buy mine premade (Satin Ice) and have not had any problems with it. It is easy to work with. This will make your item dry a lot faster and with stronger structure.

If you really want to use MMF, I suggest using gumpaste and MMF 50/50.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 18

Edited for double post. Sorry.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 18

if you look at the figures in my pictures they were all 100% mmf .... now they worked fine andheld detail ok, I used teh mmf after it had been made and set overnight if you use it right away it will be too soft .... the only issue I have with it is that when it dries it tends to be very fragile and crack a lot, it does nto hold together as well as if you used gumtex in it or soem other hardening agent.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 18

What happens when you deliver a cake with gumpaste figures or flowers (whatever)...do you tell your customer that they are not meant to be eaten? The reason I ask (I've always used fondant) is that any characters or decorations I make ALWAYS get eaten by the kids. I used gumpaste to make shoes for my daughter's cake and when I wasn't looking one of the guests (age icon_cool.gif had eated 1/2 of one of the shoes. I was nervous because I didn't know if they could truly be eaten ~ so I looked on the container and it did have a nutrition label. I didn't think it was suppose to be eaten though....
sorry to hijack the post :0

maggiev777 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! I think I will try a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture. Is the Wilton gumpaste mix sufficient? I bought some today hoping it would be...

alimonkey Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 18

Gumpaste is edible, it just doesn't taste very good.

And the wilton mix will be fine.

maggiev777 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:35am
post #18 of 18

Excellent, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%