Need Fish Ideals For Cake

Decorating By Gaut Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 5:06am by montanakate

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to do a Fish cake for Fathers Day. I sure could use some ideals. I would like for the fish to look real as possible.
Thanks,
Gaut

7 replies
msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 8

See the fish in my pictures. It was SUPER easy to do. Just make a 9X13. Cut it in a fish shape corner to corner. Cover with BC. Place rolled fondant over it. I used a large round tip to make the scales. I then cut the fondant for the fins. I used the back of a knife to texturize the fins and then attached with water. I painted the fish mixing vodka w/ the gel colors and then also used strait gel colors to get the deeper colors. This is a pearch. I just finished a bass for a customer. I have several other fish cakes done that I have not posted yet. They have become my best seller!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 8

That sounds like great advice! Another great idea is to use the circle end of a metal piping tip, pushed into the fondant only halfway...to get the look of scales! (I think Colette Peter's uses this in her book for the Fish.)

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

Check out the fishing cake I just posted... and idea for any fisherman. I've also attached a closeup of the fisherman and fish.
LL

msumissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msumissa Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 8

"Another great idea is to use the circle end of a metal piping tip, pushed into the fondant only halfway...to get the look of scales! (I think Colette Peter's uses this in her book for the Fish.)"

Yes, that is what I meant when I was talking about the the large circle tip. I find that the end of the piping tip made the scales look too big, so I use a large round tip to make them. And this fish is the one I modeled after Colette Peter's the Art of Decorating book.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8

I love your fish cakes!! You both did a great job!! Maybe I will think about making this for my father-in-law for fathers day as his is always talking about taking the kids fishing!! (only he hasn't done it yet!!) icon_smile.gif

Great ideas guys!!

Charlotte

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:57am
post #7 of 8

I did a fishing cake & used one of Calidawn's phrases on it. It said "Catch me if you can" With the person's name underneath it. I also made a waterfall & lake. I used the Wilton fisherman in the boat then I used another bigger bass jumping around in the water. Take a look in my photos. You could do this on a round cake too. Have fun!

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 5:06am
post #8 of 8

I did a cake, posted in photos, that had a fisherman holding a pole, you could see him from the waist up. The only fish poking out of the water was a little tiny one, but all around the bottom of the cake were larger fish. On the board I wrote "Fish tremble at the mention of his name". The cake was really easy, and the fish were molds. The fisherman was a little more difficult, but that's because I have limited abilities as a sculptor icon_smile.gif ha ha ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%