Flying With A Cake

Decorating By londonandi Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 12:56am by londonandi

londonandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonandi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:14am
post #1 of 7

I'm kinda a rookie on the forum here, so please take pity on me if I am asking a question already discussed and just direct me to the right place...

Has anyone ever flown with a cake? I'm flying from MD to New Orleans and would love to bring a fancy cake to my in-laws. I've decided to make something in fondant so it will be fairly easy to transport, but I am concerned about whether or not security will allow it. I have looked on TSAs webside and it seems like they don't have any specific rules against bringing on food (as long as its wrapped), but it didn't say anything about size limitations (It will be able to fit under the seat in front of me) and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or advise they would'nt mind sharing.

Thanks!

6 replies
Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

use the non-slip rubber grip on the bottom of your cake. It really helps, actually stops, the cake from moving at all during transport.

I'm glad my teacher told us this hint, driving with a cake during rush hour is hard enough, I couldn't imagine flying with one!

Good Luck, I'm sure someone here can help!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:21am
post #3 of 7

I have taken a cake on a plane ride. It will have to go thru the xray at security and should be able to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

I would plan for it to fit into your Carry On bag. And make arrangements for your carry on ITEMS that would be in that bag to be crammed into your hubbys bag lol. I would also make sure it's something simple nothing dramatic that can easily get messed up with turbulance. I saw on FoodTv challenge thingie where someone flew with premade cakes and gingerbread and it was all ruined by the luggage checkers... so I suggest your carry on as the best place that way it's with you at all times! (well in your over head at all times)

londonandi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:28am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, for the imput ladies!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 7

I am flying from MA to KY next week with 4 4" cakes in my carry on. I found 5" boxes at Michaels for them!!

Good luck with your cake!!

~Chelle

londonandi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #7 of 7

Update: I took the Cake to NO and had no problems getting through security. I experienced a bit of sagging, because it had been moved around so much (Total of 6 hours travel time).

Good Luck to all you fellow travelers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%