Walmart Brand Shortening

Decorating By lecrn Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 12:55am by LittleBigMomma

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 28

I just bought a tub of this b/c of the many problems I've been experiencing with the new Crisco. Does anyone else use this, and if so, what have been your results using it in bc recipes?
Thx

27 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 28

tried it 3 weeks ago...seemed ok -- no really bad problems -- but then again couldn't compare it side by side w/ old crisco.

and in my recipe: 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup shortening, 1TBS flavor, 1/2 cup water, 9 cups PS

Chell2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chell2007 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 28

I use this brand and I haven't had any problems!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I just bought a tub of this b/c of the many problems I've been experiencing with the new Crisco. Does anyone else use this, and if so, what have been your results using it in bc recipes?
Thx

I started using it about a month ago and I love it. I don't see a difference in taste or texture!

Rhonda

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 28

I use it all the time and don't have any problems at all.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 28

After having sooooo much trouble with the grooms cake posted in my pictures, I read a post here about how Crisco had changed and realized then that that was why my icing never crusted correctly and was so "slippery".
Since then I have bought 5 cans of Wal Mart brand with the 2.5g of transfats and it's wonderful. Like the good ole days with Crisco. It holds its shape, crusts well and mixes well. I do notice more bubbles in the icing when mixing and right after but they disappear when I'm spreading and smoothing the icing on the cake. All my cakes since the Groom's Cake disaster have been with this shortening so I would recommend it.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 28

Did a cake using Walmart brand for my BC last week and it turned out great.

Made my normal CC Cookie recipe with the new Crisco today. I actually thought they turned out better. Certainly not the case with icing! icon_razz.gif

Diane

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 28

Add me to the list of those who are making the switch to the Wal-Mart brand.

Crisco.....are you listening??? icon_confused.gif

jumbosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumbosgirl Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 28

I have used this for almost 2 years now with NO problems!!

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 28

I have not tried this yet. I will though. I sure hope I can find this trans fat included shortening. I talked to Crisco today and they tried to help me but you know. I was surprised at the response time since I just emailed them last night and they called the next day! I sure hope they are listening.

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 28

I haven't had any trouble with the Walmart brand. To me it has a slightly different taste. But not enough to not use the Walmart brand. I was actually lucky enough to find the old Crisco in the cup sticks. I normally don't buy those because it is so much. I just had to have the old stuff. After these are gone I will go back to the Walmart brand.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 28

I just bought some today!!! Can't wait to see the difference!!

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #13 of 28

WM brand is all we ever have used.

Angellcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angellcakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:14am
post #14 of 28

I've switched to the Wal-Mart brand and love it. Too bad for Crisco. It seems to be doing the trick!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:15am
post #15 of 28

I switched to WalMart brand at Michele Foster's recommendation, and I did have the chance to try it at the same time as some old Crisco in buttercream. It's a good alternative to the old Crisco. Like the other poster who had bubbles in her icing with the WM brand, I do too, but they smooth right out when I put the icing on the cake.

Deanna

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #16 of 28

I used stop and shop shortening and it worked great in my frosting. It has trans fat in it.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #17 of 28

I am poor and cheap, so I only use Walmart, even before the whole Crisco change. Never had a complaint or problem.

Stephanie

lionladydi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 28

It kinda makes me mad that I have paid the high price of Crisco all these years when the Walmart brand is doing just fine for me. icon_mad.gif The biggest problem is that eventually the Walmart brand will be forced to take away the trans fats also. You know........big brother has to police what we put in our bodies. We don't have enough sense to take care of ourselves. icon_lol.gif

Diane

lionladydi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:18pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I am poor and cheap, so I only use Walmart, even before the whole Crisco change. Never had a complaint or problem.

Stephanie

Sounds more to me like you are pretty smart and resourceful not "poor and cheap."

Diane

dshlent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dshlent Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:10pm
post #20 of 28

What is the name of the Wal-Mart brand? I bought some at Wal-Mart called Value Time. I haven't used it in my icing but didn't know if this is the same kind you all are talking about. If so, I'll have to give it a try...

~Heather

rhopar33 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

What is the name of the Wal-Mart brand? I bought some at Wal-Mart called Value Time. I haven't used it in my icing but didn't know if this is the same kind you all are talking about. If so, I'll have to give it a try...

~Heather

That is the Wal-Mart brand. I use it all the time and it's great!
Rhonda

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 28

i'm cheap too and have always used the wal-mart brand (and occasionally food lion generic).....nothing but rave reviews on my BC! i keep crossing my fingers that it will be a long, long time till they go to 0 trans fat!!!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 28

I recently bought some too and haven't had any problems! It worked great!!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:33pm
post #24 of 28

i use Aldi's brand crisco. Its $1.29 or something rediculously cheap like that. and works wonderfully.

rhopar33 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:47pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingme83

i use Aldi's brand crisco. Its $1.29 or something rediculously cheap like that. and works wonderfully.

That's good to know about the Aldi's brand. I was just in there yesterday and by-passed their shortening because I was afraid it would make a difference in taste and texture. I'll definitely have to give it a try!

Rhonda

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #26 of 28

i havent noticed a taste but i also make sure i use half butter in my recipes. I never really noticed a difference though between Aldi and shoprite brand. HTH

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #27 of 28

Thanks for all the posts. I feel better about trying it now. I'm usually very frugal, & buying the Crisco hurt a little considering there was a cheaper brand. I was just afraid of using WalMart's brand b/c some generic products are not that great.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlent

~Heather

The brand is Great Value.

At my local Wal-Mart, they've added 0 Trans fat Great Value to the shelf. icon_rolleyes.gif So, I grabbed a few cans of the "real" stuff. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%