Gumpaste Flowers Vs. Fondant Flowers

Decorating By cakechica27 Updated 23 Apr 2017 , 8:10pm by kakeladi

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 16

I have never worked with gumpaste. How are gumpaste flowers different from cutting flowers out of fondant and letting them dry?

15 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 16

You use the same tools and techniques as you would on gumpaste flowers. Petals can be rolled thinner and gumpaste items dry a lot faster.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 16

I think gum paste will give you a more realistic looking flower. It does dry faster so I do add some fondant, to the gumpaste, to give me a little more working time. I like the texture of GP it seems more resilant and sturdy. You should definitely give it a try. As soon as you do you will notice the difference.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 16

Gumpaste flowers will get very hard. When I work fondant to make flowers I put tylose in the fondant to make firmer. Fondant will get hard if left out to dry while gumpaste dries very fast.

The number two on my minnie mouse cake is fondant with tylose. It was nice and hard and easy to work with then gumpaste. I like both it really depends I what I am going to make.

Liana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liana Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 16

fondant is also tastier than gumpaste, so it might depend on if you want to eat them.

krazeekaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazeekaker Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 16

i prefer to use gumpaste if i'm doing more realistic flowers and i use fondant for fantasy flowers. gumpaste does tend to dry alot faster than fondant so you have to work faster with it. i haven't tried using a mix of fondant and gumpaste yet.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 16

Do most of you buy gumpaste, or can you make it like MMF?

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 16

Here is a recipe from Nicholas Lodge that many CC members use to make Gumpaste=) Incase you want to make your own. Jen

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 16

I really don't think you can compare the two, other than they are both a type of sugar dough. Gumpaste flowers are much more realistic, can be rolled paper thin, dry quickly and hard, and they can be kept for years if protected from humidity, sunlight and dust.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothycolaw

Do most of you buy gumpaste, or can you make it like MMF?

I buy mine premade by Satin Ice but you can make it on your own. If you decide to buy it, here's a link for it: http://www.intotheoven.com/p977/Satin-Ice-Pre-Made-Gumpaste-2-lbs./product_info.html

Bloomcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bloomcakery Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 16

1. What is the most cost effective, making your own gum paste/fondant or buying a pre-made one?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 16

Buy them pre-made.  Without a doubt, cheaper, when you consider your time.  I always marked them up about 300% and had no trouble selling them as an add-on the a cake.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 4:30am
post #13 of 16

Leah I think you are speaking of buying ready made gumpaste flowers. I believe the question was whether to make your own gumpaste or buy it. You can add tylose powder to ready made fondant as a quick form of gumpaste but I prefer using Nicholas Lodges recipe for gumpaste. It makes a large amount and can be keep refrigerated or even frozen. It dries hard and is pretty stable.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 16

Hi Bloomcakery... If your question is the cost-effectiveness of the product (not the final flowers/decorations), I would say the way to go would be to make your own.

Also @ShirleyW... Thank you for sharing the info about Nicholas Lodge's recipe (your post #13). I usually buy Satin Ice (for convenience of just getting right to work on my flowers), or I use a recipe that I have.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 16

Nicholas Lodge's gum paste is my overall favorite and I've used a few, including the famous Platinum Paste (which I also love, btw) and it is inexpensive.  Decorating is my hobby, so I am not concerned about time restrictions.  Gum paste yields a much more realistic flower, but the flavor is akin to dried, sweet Elmer's Glue.  Much more for looks and keepsakes than for eating.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 8:10pm
post #16 of 16

I also agree that Nic's recipe for gp is *the best* :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%