Buttercream Transfer/edible Image

Decorating By cakelady Updated 9 Jun 2005 , 11:22am by diane

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 6

What is the difference between buttercream transfer and edible image.........can buttercream transfer be done with gel......and does gel freeze?

5 replies
Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

From how I understand it, an edible image is printed out on sort of an edible paper with edible ink/food coloring. A BCT is an actual piped out picture that is done on wax paper, frozen, then transferred onto an iced cake.

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 6

So...........one needs special equipment to make an edible image.........can you buy edible images at the cake supply places?

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 6

You would need to have a Canon Printer, edible ink and edible image paper (which is like a very thin frosting sheet) to do an edible image. Some bakeries and cake decorating suppliers have preprinted ones that can be ordered. There are also suppliers where you can send a personal photo and they will make an edible image from your picture.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, answering your question about freezing gel! It does not freeze well at all, to do a BCT you'd be better off doing your outlines with regular icing.

A lot of the cake supply stores sell already printed edible images, and there are some bakeries (one member got one at Walmart) where you can take a picture or image and they will apply it to an edible image sheet for you.

Hope this helps! Janice

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 11:22am
post #6 of 6

an edible image is a lot easier, but you have to buy the edible ink and frosting sheets. i prefer the edible image, but i only use it when i really need to, like if i'm short on time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%