Triangle Wedding Cake

Decorating By Xtina31 Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 9:10pm by loriemoms

Xtina31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xtina31 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 22

Hello everyone,
I've been asked by a customer to make a triangle shaped wedding cake. Any ideas or experience with this shape of cake? I would really appreciate any suggestions. icon_smile.gif

21 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 22

I think it would be really fun to try. Just cut the square cakes into triangles and I think you would line them up flush in the back. Sure would like to see your finished masterpiece!!

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 22

how strange, i was standing at my day job today, thinking.. "I want to do a triangle cake!", havent seen many if any and i like to be different, then come home and find this post, hope this bump gets you some more ideas as i ponder it too,

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 22

here is one, i forgot where i got this from.... i think the title is where it is from

have fun trying it
LL

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 22

i dont know where you are at but the cake store i go to in carolton texas cake carousel sells the triangle cake pans. they have a web site not sure if you can order online or not but perhaps you can call and they can give you some info.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 22

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/pans/anamor/anamor.htm

here is a link to triangle pans, hth. Its kinda expensive for something you wont use alot though.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 22

Instead of buying pans you could just use squares and but them in half and stack.. That might work...

SilkwoodStudios Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 22

yeah, as my minds churns , i think i would start with cutting squares, but.. man! thanks debbie for that link to the great pans , i see lots of things i sure would like, as you say not for everyday but if your looking for unusual, go for it ... then Ebay them!

debbie2881 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 22

welcome!!

The only thing i see with cutting the squares is that you will have lots of wasted cake and to get the bigger triangles you will have to do larger squares. might be worth it to get the pans if you decide to make this one really good and expect to get many more triangle cake orders.

Silkwoodstudios ebay is also a good way to go.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 22

Yeah you can't just cut the square cake in half because it wouldn't be an equilateral triangle. Wouldn't look like the picture above. Triangle would be wider than it was tall. Just depends on the effect you're looking for.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 22

I have 2 photos of them saved in my Favourites. Apologies, I don't know the bakers of these beauties:
LL
LL

SilkwoodStudios Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 22

agree with you debbie, there would be waste, oh wait... LOL... wasted cake? around me ? MORE LOL!!!! it would be a good place to test run an experiment cake though.
and sun, sure i do understand SOMEthings about geometry,again it could be done, but , oh dear, more waste!! YEAH >>both types of triangles, what ever the other kind is called would be an option, again all depends on design i guess,maybe after this weekends graduation cake i will put pen to paper and "tri" to work out some kinks before i send off a check for those pans

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:05am
post #13 of 22

No, not really! If you took an 8 inch square cake and cut it from one corner diagonally to the center of the other side and then again from the other corner back to the center spot you will have another layer of cake and no waste.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:33am
post #14 of 22

debsuewoo, I was thinking the exact same thing! You are exactly right! One square layer (any size) can be cut into 2 same-size triangle layers that way, with a little icing "glue" down the middle to stick those 2 half-layer sections together.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:30am
post #15 of 22
SilkwoodStudios Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #16 of 22

thanks mendhigurl, im diggin' some parts of that one too! i guess i'm attracted to geometric shapes of all kinds, just can't stop thinking about the possibilities, hmmmm? wonder if i can talk next weeks mother of a 2 yr old birthday girl into some abstract, bold colored, crazy wacky angled creation!... prob'ly not icon_sad.gif,oh well we all dream!

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:33am
post #17 of 22

deb and sugar,

You're right, didn't think about it that way. Was just pointing out that just cutting a square in half wouldn't make the triangles in the pictures. The way you suggest still isn't equilateral, but close and looks like some of the pics could have been done that way. Makes me want to try one! lol Hadn't seen a triangle cake before this post.

debbie2881 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:15pm
post #18 of 22

i cant wait to see the end result of this one, those cakes are beautiful. i havent seen a triangular cake before this post either.

SilkwoodStudios i doubt you will get that mom to go for your idea. left over cake is always good in the mouth but very bad on the waist. icon_smile.gif. thinking about the different shapes, there could be some very interesting cakes. a star tiered cake with the stars not lined up totally would be very nice. now my head is spinning. Too bad this is just my hobby.

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm
post #19 of 22

Doug had a good template for cutting triangles with very little wasted cake. It is in this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-16943-triangle.html+layer

sweetthemes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetthemes Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #20 of 22

I did a triangle layer for a cake in May using Doug's template that Jewels referenced above. It worked well. It does take a little adjusting and a big of math, but it's an excellent option if you don't want to spend the money. The cake is in my pics btw.

SilkwoodStudios Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:01pm
post #21 of 22

debbie, i know your right , that up tight mom will likely turn me down and we will settle for a bear or something waaaay toooo cute, just kidding anyway, oh well, i will just make it for myself then and i can do whatever i want!!
did you check out the other odd shapes at the sugarcraft site? i love the comma and some of the other scallopy edge ones! more ideas ,aaahhh!!!

sweetthemes, i like the romeo and juliet cake, agree with all the comments on that page, plus again that tirangle fits in just right, adds some drama to it i believe.

of course the next issue then would be the standard ' how are you supposed to cut that??"

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianagreen

here is one, i forgot where i got this from.... i think the title is where it is from

have fun trying it

That is too cool! Gads, can you image trying to frost that??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%