Need Tips For "masculine Borders"

Decorating By jlh Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 1:21am by jlh

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a metal mulisha cake for my brother in law. It sort of will fall in the "rocker/motorcycle tough guy" category. The thought of a cute shell border is not sounding like a very good compliment to the cake. Here is a link to a picture of the metal mulisha guy. He's mean. I need a mean border. I wanted to attempt fondant barbed wire, but just don't have the time this week to experiment with it. Any tips or images on border techniques?? Thanks!
Pam
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-350353.html

5 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #2 of 6

What if you used a large round tip (maybe 12 or something slightly smaller) and used yellow/orange/red bc to pull out flames as a border?

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

Ok I just looked at the pic of your other post and I'm thinking if your going with the silver color then just do some silver buttercream and do any sort of swirlly design or you can color some fondant in silver or dust and twist it into a rope or even twist a black one with a silver one into a rope for around the bottom of the cake. I think I like the idea of the black and silver it sounds very masculine and you cant go wrong with a rope nothing frilly about that lol and it would be faster than barbed wire.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:20am
post #4 of 6

or something that looks like chains

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:06am
post #5 of 6

Could you use a smaller round tip like a 5 or 7, make a rope border and then use a small leaf tip to make narrow long "leaves" off of it to look like barbed wire? Make it in grey icing? Just a though. It is hard to explain, but I managed to make long narrow leaves that would look good for the barbs of the wire. Ok I tried.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to everyone for the help with this cake. It was near a disaster about 11:45 pm. I pulled through and was pleased (considering what had happened). My brother in law was so happy. He's not a mushy guy, but gushed about his cake. He told me "it was the best cake he's ever had in his whole life". He just recently married my sister, so it was quite a bonding moment for us. Thanks!! Here is my picture
Pam
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=707183

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%