Happy Fathers Day...say Something Nice About Your Dad!

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 8:30am by BarbaraK

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:35am
post #1 of 31

My dad passed aways many years ago but he was hilarious and gave me his sense of humor. He was disabled but worked every single day to raise my brother and I alone.

The "dad" in my life now is the father of my children. He works hard and takes such great care of us! HE can come home after being a tough guy all day and let our daugthers paint his nails and have a tea party. He is never to tired to push my kids on a swing and he ALWAYS SAYS MY CAKES ARE GREAT (even when they are not!)

I love them both and am so blessed to have them in my life!!!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!

30 replies
ChefStef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:51am
post #2 of 31

My Dad was a police officer all his life. Lots of stress, shiftwork and other yucky things to deal with. My brother and I got very good at keeping quiet while he slept through the day. (Don't wake a sleeping bear) But, he always had time to read with us, play cards and "monster".

I see now that my Dad is soooo wonderful with my daughter and she loves him so much it really makes me appreciate him even more. Love you Dad....see you soon (your cakes in the oven!) icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:53am
post #3 of 31

Wonderful idea!

My dad passed away 20 years ago, only three weeks after his 40th bd. He'd been diagnosed with Acute Mylogenous Leukemia only 15 months before. Daddy taught me to have a great sense of humor; to love and respect everyone no matter how they may treat you; and most of all, how to live and die with dignity, honor, and the faith of knowing that with God, death is only the beginning of a new forever. Today, I honor my daddy and the legacy that he's imprinted on my life forever. Today, I also honor my mom, who has been both a mother and father to me for 20 years. God has so richly blessed me with two, God-fearing, Christian parents. I hope that one day, my children can admire me as much as I do my own parents. Can't forget my husband, today, either. I couldn't possibly dream of a better daddy for our children.

God's blessings to all dads on this special day of recognition!

Amy

In memory of E. Gary Lail
Jan. 11, 1947 - February 7, 1987

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 31

Is there enough space to write a book? He is what every man should be. He came here in his 20's...didn't speak a word of English...had not a dime to his name. Never took a penny from anyone. He earned everything he has...he built everything he owns. He and my mom raised 4 children with values and integrity.

Without a question or complaint he will help us (his kids) in any way we need him, whether it's tiling a bathroom or cutting cakeboards, or driving 5 hours to Albany to deliver a teacher's application that would have been late otherwise!!

He is also a wonderful, fun, happy Grandfather.

I am so grateful to have him and I cherish every minute.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 31

My Dad passed away in '93, from cancer..... I got to stay with him for the last month of his life, and hold his hand as he passed..... I cherish that month, and I wish I could tell him once more that I love him.....

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 31

What a great day to remember all these wonderful men. I'm blessed to have my dad alive and on his way here this morning, then taking my son on a business trip with him (lucky kid, I never got to do that with him!) He is a wonderful grandpa.

Help here-a good friend of mine lost her mom and her dad last year, within 10 mo's of each other. Any good advice on what I can say to her today?

I know she is having a horrible time with it (duh!).

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 31

My dad is a wonderful, hardworking old farmer! Always has time to sit with us on the porch and talke about his animals and crops... and values our advice and opinions. Plus he's sooooo funny!! Great sense of humor that only he and I really "get".
This father's day is bittersweet for us... Although we're going to visit my dad, my boyfriend's father passed away from cancer about a month ago... It's a hard day but I'm trying to get him to celebrate father's day as the father of my future children... and not focus on how he doesn't have his dad to celebrate with this year...

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 31

ChefStef...my dad was a police officer too! He worked undercover for a few years as well. Total hippie looking...long hair, fuzzy beard, the works! The kids in my class would tell me my dad was ugly...of course, they had no idea what he did for a living...and neither did I! Only my mom and his parents knew what he did. But on Sunday morning, he always wore a suit and a tie. Wow, did WE ever get stared at....here is my beautiful mom with 2 small children dressed nicely and with her is this hippie man!!!

It was great when my dad quit working undercover and friends and neighbors knew he was actually a state trooper! Were they surprised!

My dad is absolutely my hero. He is the most generous, loving and sensitive man I know. I am one of 5 girls and all of us girls told our husbands..."Sorry you have to follow in the steps of our father!" His shoes are pretty tough to fill!!

Great thread....I love reading all the responses!

Cujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cujo Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 31

My dad passed away from cancer in 1977, at the age of 63, and I still miss him every day.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 31

My Dad hung the stars and the moon. He passed away when I was 16 years old and I still miss him every day.

My husband knows that my Dad hung the stars and the moon. But my husband keeps all of the love going for both of them around the stars and moon. I have been very lucky and treasure both of them.

Lu

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 31

My Dad was a butcher and owned his own meat market/convience store. He taughted me so much. I miss him every day. He also passed away in 2003 of Leukimia. Love you Dad.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 31

My dad passed away about three years ago. I miss his cooking.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 31

My daddy passed away when I was 3. That was 40 years ago.

I have a collection of memories of him. I remember being lifted up to reach into the big jars of candy at the feed store. I remember him tossing a package of pretty "popcorn" underwear(the cotton ones with the puckery texture..kinda like searsucker). I remember circus peanuts and those disgusting marshmallows with toasted coconut(that I'll buy from time to time just to take me back). I remember his teeth in a glass on the back of the toilet. I remember some of his funeral....I remember it from a tree branch though....looking at me, with my head on my Mama's lap looking at the pretty flag over this box being lowered into the hole. I didn't know it was Daddy at the time.

A lot of people say that little kids don't remember stuff....
I don't know...
I've been told by so many people that knew him(not just family...but his Army buddies) that I have a lot of his mannerisms.
I miss sharing my life with him.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 31

My daddy is great! I'm 28 and he's in his 70's and he's still going strong! He's supposed to be retired but still works almost everyday lol. Currently he and my mother are raising my sister's 3 boys until she recovers from an accident, her boys are 10, 8, and 4 1/2. The youngest is spoiled rotten! lol sleeps with pop-pop every night! lol.

When my grand dad died when I was 2 1/2-3 yrs old, my dad quit his job at the Chrystler plant/factory making cars, and went to work with my grandmom running thier service station. When she finally sold the place a few years later, he went to work fixing mower's, chain saws and other equipment, becoming a Parts Manager at a well known place here in our town, where he continued to work until presently lol. He finally retired last year Dec. 31st and goes there every day just about, but only for the hours he wants comes and goes as he pleases and gets paid cash now lol.

He's the greatest! He is my landlord, and also my money tree when needed lol. He gets me whatever I need (with-in reason lol) just bought me a new battery for my car even though he wasn't asked to lol, he fixes everything he can and then pays hubby to do what he can't lol. He's worked everyday of his life since he was 15 and insists on these boys growing up "right" lol. He is a wonderful dad and a wonderful grand dad and I'm very happy to have him in my life still. I've always been "Daddy's little girl" and still at 28 I'm happy to admit I still am lol. He's still wrapped around my finger and I still love sitting there listening to all those stories all over again and again and again.. I know my world will come to an end when he passes and I dread that day but I savor every second I have with him now because I know loved ones can't stay forever and they must go join their parents in Heaven, I just hope I have many more years with him icon_smile.gif

Thank you all for your wonderful stories and may you all be blessed with wonderful memories for the rest of your lives!

Happy Father's Day to all the daddy's out there today! My husband got a phone call at 8:30 this morning from his oldest, just to say Happy Father's Day lol. He hasn't heard from the middle two yet and probably won't because their mom is a ....... anyway he's got 4 wonderful kids and 2 of them he'll spend the day with today so he's happy lol.

Hope everyone has a great day today!!!!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:49pm
post #15 of 31

my daddy is awesome. He is the strongest and most honorable person I know. He has a great sense of humor and loves to be with his family. He offers me great advice when I need it, but knows when to step back and not get involved. He makes me proud to be his daughter!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 31

I di not have a father he walked out 23 years ago. I was only 3. The only Father figure I ever had was my Father in law and he passed away in April. He was a good father and a good husband I am very greatul for him because he helped raise the Man I married, and that's why he is who he is today.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #17 of 31

My daddy passed away in 2002.....on my moms birthday (who had preceeded him in death in 199icon_cool.gifI held his hand and whispered in his ear as he went. He was a wonderful father.

I wish Happy Fathers Days to all...to those of you who are Dads (yeah wehave a few guys here ...lol) and the ones sharing it with your hubby's as the father of your children. And to those of you who still have dad....enjoy them! A special hug for those of you who's dads are gone but not forgotten.

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 31

This topic bring tears of joy to my eyes, Im so glad and blessed for having my father, he's not near (he lives in Venezuela) and I onle get to see him a few times a year, but miss him a lot, He is my superman! love him so much... i called him early this mornig (at 7.00 am) and told me he was makig 2 iron cake stands for me, Hes 75 years old but keep working hard as he was 30, goes to work every day but sundays, a very strong man...
I whish my english was better so I could tell with beautiful word who my father is and what miracles he had done for his family and friend... I feel all the experiences bumpimg in my chest, like crazy to get out ... Did I say how much I love him??? I think Im going to call him againg just to tell him...

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 31

My Dad is my hero. He is who taught me to cook , drive and gave me my work ethic and values. (My Mom is a bad cook. Sorry Mom) He is now 85 and caring for my Mom because she has alzhiemers. I am 800 miles away and only get to see him once a year. My life is here but my heart is always with him.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:20pm
post #20 of 31

My Daddy passed this last Oct. I was at his side, helped take care of him until the end. My dad was my rock, he hung the moon for me. He worked up until 5 years ago when his cancer moved to his back and it fractured. He was a hard man when he had to be (and I love him for it) and a very gentle man most of the time. He gave us a lot, he provided wonderfully for the family and taught us how to treat people. I will never forget him and will always talk to him icon_smile.gif . Miss you Daddy!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 31

My father is my daddy, he always has and always will be. I have always been a daddy's girl.
Growing up we would Saturday's running the roads visting gun shops or deer hunting. We would always stop at this little store next to our house and get a Ski and steak and biscuit, It's a southern thing. He would swape and trade and vist and I would sit on the stool taking it all in.
My daddy still gives me big bear hugs that make me feel so special and carefree. He are always poking and picking at each other.
If it's one thing my dad stands for it's his religion. He is a preacher. He has had a very hard road, but he always stands firm. One of his favorite verse's talks about when having done all to stand, stand therefore. That's what he's done. He has been such a role model for me.
Just last March my dad last his dad. Today is kinda hard for us all. I am fixing to leave for church now and I'm crying so hard I can barely type.
Family is such a blessing, enjoy your day with your loved ones. May God Bless each and everyone.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:23pm
post #22 of 31

As I sit here reading everyones stories I am glad no one else is home with me. I started crying with the first few and cried everytime I read another post.

To all of those who have lost your father I am so sorry. I can not imagine the day my dad passes on and have no idea how I will ever handle it being Daddy's little girl (and the only child)

My dad is my Hero and I don't know if there is any other way to explain what he means to me in so few words. He has raised me to be who I am today and he is always looking out for me. We had the opportunity to work together in the same business for a little over 2 years and I cherish those times as he taught me my trade and so many other business, and personal aspects of my life and of his life, I got to see a different side of him than I had growing up and it made me even more proud of him.

He moved out of the area 4 months ago and now is about 5 hours from me instead of 15 mins. I really didn't think it would be this hard but I am so glad he is still around. The statement above about daddy still being wrapped around my finger is so true (and I think he would still admit this) He had an opportunity to move a few states away for a wonderful job and he got one as close to me as possible so we wouldn't be so far away from eachother.

Sorry for the ramble my dad is everything to me. And because of who he is I have found a wonderful man to share my life with (and who is more like my dad than either of them will ever admit! icon_lol.gif )

Well after my short story I better head out, my dad came home this weekend and is bringing me a small deep freeze and we're going to go have lunch together before he has to go home.

Happy father's day to everyone and hope you get to share it with a special man in your life who is a father or father figure.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #23 of 31

I wish my father had been the type I could say something nice about, unfortunately he was not. But I will say somethng nice about my dear son inlaw Rick. He took on the responsibilities of my daughters 4 children when he married my wonderful Melissa. She in turn took on his 3 children. They have a great family and I give him so much credit for helping to make it that way. Melissa's oldest daughter now has 2 babies and Pop Pop Rick adores those little guys, and they him. He was right at Melissa's side through every Chemo and radiation treatment as she went through breast cancer just 2 years after they married. He is now her biggest supporter in her quest to complete nursing school and become an R.N. Even when she is bogged down with homework and doesn't have a lot of time to spend with him. He is a police officer and she supports him as well, even though we all worry about him. He is a big burly guy, 6" 5" tall and sounds like he would be as tough. This is the guy who stopped a speeder, went to the drivers window and reminded the guy that he was going WAY too fast and he was going to give him a time out. And he did, made the guy sit in his car for 10 minutes while Rick sat in the cruiser doing paperwork. Then he let him go without a ticket and just a warning to slow down.
Happy Fathers Day Rick, we love you!

bethallan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethallan Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:51pm
post #24 of 31

This is my first Father's Day without my dad. He passed away in January after struggling for 6 years with complications from Type 1 Diabetes. His strength sticks with me. He had Diabetes for more than 50 years. When he was first diagnosed, he was told that he wouldn't live past his 30's, so he just decided to live life as a gift. Imagine, living 30+ more years than you expected!

My dad was not the most affectionate, but he didn't need to be. He was a pragmatist, which I am, as well. He knew that sometimes life was wonderful, and sometimes it sucked. But he lived without regrets.

He didn't have to tell me all the time that he loved me, I just knew. He didn't have to tell me that he was proud of me, I just knew. He didn't have to tell me that I was doing a great job with my kids (particularly my autistic child), I just knew. I don't have to tell him that I miss him, he just knows.

Thank you for this post, it allowed me to cry, which I don't do often enough.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:30pm
post #25 of 31

My Dad passed away several years ago. He was a very hard worker. He had to be with 7 children (I'm the youngest) Anyway, he was an electrician and several years before I was even born he bought a lot and built a home for us. He only had 4 children then. He would work on it in the evenings and weekends after working his regular job. He built a beautiful 2 story, 4 bedroom brick home by himself. Now back then, money was tight and he got alot of the supplies through salvage. For instance, he got all of the oak flooring from Army barracks they were tearing down. He had to go remove it himself. I would like to know all of the places he got supplies from! He did a wonderful job on the house (make all of the woodwork and doors, too) He wanted a nice home for his family to grow up in. He also wanted us to be able to depend on ourselves. If I had car problems, he would tell me which tools I'd probably need to fix it and give basic instructions on what to do! Believe me, this has come in handy through the years...well, when you could actually work on a car yourself! When my husband left me with 3 small children to raise, I became mother and father to my kids. I had to be self sufficient....Thanks, Dad...I remember! I now have a wonderful husband that came into the picture (again..we actually dated in high school. Even went to our senior prom together. Weird, huh?) when my children were starting to be teenagers. It's amaizing. He's still here and we have a 10 year old son together! What a guy! The oldest son really put us through the paces. I really admire my husband for putting up with us because I know at times it hasn't been easy, to say the least!

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:49pm
post #26 of 31

My father passed away back in Jan. 1979. I am just glad to have followed in his footsteps and became a chef.
I have not had a good year as my brother passed away March 6 and now my Mother passed away June 7 (2 days before her 71 b'day). I was with her in the hospital when she passed away.
I really hope this is it for the year.

To all Dad's here on the site
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:08pm
post #27 of 31

I have enjoyed reading every one of these posts. Many have brought tears to my eyes. My natural father died when I was 5 years old from Hodgkins disease. I have been told many stories about him, some good, some not so good. I guess I'll never really know what kind of a person he really was, but I have a wonderful "Dad" that took in a woman with three very small children and raise them as his own. I never understood the sacrifices that he made for us until I too was in the same situation as my mother, and had three children to raise with no income, job, vehicle....nothing. My wonderful husband came along and took my children in as his own. We have a daughter together and he treats the other kids in the same way as "his" daughter. Our children are so blessed to have such a special man in their life as I am to have the same in my life. To both my Dad and my Husband I send out a very special Thank You and a Happy Fathers Day.

They don't care how much you know.....
They know how much you care !!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:12pm
post #28 of 31

My Dad passed away in 1999. It took me a couple of years to come to terms with his passing. I completely blocked it out. My Dad meant the world to me and when he left this earth, I may as well went with him. I was so very lucky to have been his daughter. He taught me everything from cooking to driving and the intangibles of compassion, understanding and most of all love. I miss you Dad!
Helen

swtness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtness Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm
post #29 of 31

I have to say sorry to all those that have lost their father. I myself am a "daddy's girl" through and through. My dad tells me all the time that there is nothing he wouldn't do for me, and I truly believe him. Don't get me wrong, he would give a total stranger the shirt off his back, but between us it's something special. He is the greatest man in the world, and I was lucky enough to find one just like him-in my husband. He too has turned into a wonderful father to our son. On that note-God Bless the dad's on Father's Day!!!

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 8:03pm
post #30 of 31

To those of you without your dad's today, may God shower you with love and lots of wonderful memories!!!!

Now my dad is extremely AMAZING!!!! He loves my mom with all his heart and isn't afraid to show it (they celebrated their 40th anniversary in January)! He has worked hard (so did my mom) to raise us, 6 kids! They went through many difficulties and tragedies and always kept positive and were always thankful for their blessings! They raised us to know and love God!

Now, I am a single mom of two amazing children, that neither has their biological father's in their lives. My daughter is 9 and my son is 3. He has been the biggest blessing in their lives! I don't know what we would do with out him! He has taken my daughter (quite proudly) to the annual daddy/daughter Valentine's dance, since she was two years old! He lets both of them "help", even when it isn't so convenient! He gives them both important little jobs, to know that they are needed and loved (he always did that with my brothers', sisters' and I too!) My son is almost a spitting image of him, by way of likes, hobbies and being so loving. My grandma always says my son reminds her of my dad as a child! My daughter calls my dad "dad" about 90% of the time. (one time she was trying to get his attention when he was watching tv. She kept saying papa, papa etc. Finally she said, "DDDAAAADDDDDD!!!!) and he answered! At that point, we decided that he was the closest thing to being a dad to her and it was fine. My son will occassionally refer to him as his dad or father too. Did I mention that they hear six grown ups calling him dad?! My parents let us live with them so that my children have a more stable life and a male role model in the house with them! My dad still works hard EVERYDAY! He works two jobs just to help make ends meet!!
Sorry this is so long, but I am one proud daughter! I love my dad (and mom) with all my heart! He never ceases to amaze me! He is the best dad and grandpa (of seven grandkids!) ever! icon_lol.gif

Happy Father's Day to all of the Dad's out there! And to those of you who have a special man in your life that have stepped up to the plate to love and raise a child in need of a good "daddy" figure...please wish them an extra special day!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%