It's Just Too Hot To Bake!

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 4:30pm by melxcloud

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 36

Anyone else feel that way? I'm in the NorthEast USA and we are have a big heat wave. I want to bake, but just can't think about heating up my house!

I'm itching to try out some new recipes. Perhaps by the weekend it will cool off.

35 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 36

I hope it cools down some soon. I've turned down 3 orders because of this heat. I don't have air conditioning and don't want to chance the outcome of the cakes. icon_cry.gif

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 36

I hear ya!! I am in Syracuse, NY and it is just WAYYY to hot to do anything. With the heat index it is 104 degrees right now. I need to clean my house since I don't have another day off till Monday but I just can't. Not very many people have central air here me included so everyone is miserable. I have one air conditioner in my dining room. Hope it cools off cause hubby's b-day is next Wednesday. If not he will be getting a carvel ice cream cake.......lol.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 36

YES!!!! I too feel this way!! I just made a coconut cake for a friend's birthday and the icing kept sliding down the sides if it was out of the fridge for more than 5 minutes!! I made the statement earlier that I wasn't going to bake any more until after summer is over!! We always have heat, but this has been the worst, driest spell ever!!

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 36

I'm with ya on the heat thing. I hope it breaks soon, I have a cake to do for the family reunion and have to transport 2 hours away, plus the reunion is outside! I can just imagine what that cake will look like if the heat doesn't break soon. icon_evil.gif This little icon is quite fitting right now.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 36

I see you guys feel my pain. My sons 2nd birthday is tomorrow so I have to bake tonight. I have been putting it off plus I couldn't find my paddle attachment, but I am so breading going home to bake. I am going to try to wait until nidnigth. Maybe it will cool off. I will make my buttercream first that bake. or maybe i sould bake, get that out of the way let the house cool off then do everythingelse. I have to make 2 cakes. One for the daycare and one for the at home celebration.

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 36

I haven't baked or cooked in the last week...It's just my Bf and I and we both agree its just to hot..By the time we get home from work we just want to cool down...So, we have been eatting out all week..I miss baking but I hate the heat more..

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 36

My teenage son has been requesting a cake to snack on for the past 3 days, but it is 96 with high humidity here! I'm hoping it will break soon.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 36

I agree, way to hot - here at the Jersey Shore it is a good 103 degrees! The thought of turning on the oven, even with central air on in the house, well it is not an option in this weather!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 36

I think that's why I haven't been here in awhile. Too hot to bake and too hot to think about baking! icon_cry.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 36

I had to bake last night, and tonight I need to do more before the weekend. I just kept the ice water handy. Everyone hang in there. I really pity the folks with wedding cakes this weekend!! icon_sad.gif

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 36

YOU GUYS CAN COME BAKE IN MY KITCHEN IT ONLY 64 HERE!! ITS BEEN RAINING ALL DAY! FEEL FREE TO COME COOL DOWN! icon_biggrin.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 36

It's miserable here in Cincy too. I was just telling my mom that we are paying for the mild winter that we had. This 90-100 degree weather has GOT TO GO!!!

thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 36

Well being in South Texas all I have to do is crank the AC really high. But I do understand your pain. Sometimes it is still to hot for me to want to do anything. I lived in New England prior to here and most people do not have AC so you do not want a stove adding to your heat already.

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 36

I'm right there with you guys. It is 102 and with the heat index 115 here today. I have central air, but it's already working so hard I don't want to turn the oven on and make it have to run harder. Dominion Power is already going to love me next month as it is!

bfelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfelt Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 36

Same here in Indy...we've had heat advisories for the past 3 days. Gives a whole new meaning the saying "feel the burn".

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 36

Cady I might just take you up on that. icon_biggrin.gif I can't take this heat anymore. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

HELP

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 36

Hey ladies, I feel you pain icon_cry.gif Down here in South Alabama I would NEVER bake if heat was an issue. It's ALWAYS HOT down here......LOL icon_evil.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 36

Same in Kansas City Missouri...highs in the 100's for about 5 days straight....my yard is dead...don't remember such dry weather...we have heat every year, but at least most years we get rain now and then! Good luck to all you bakers! I just have to do a cake for a puppy shower, and since i intend for it to be purposely messy (as per suggestion from this site) I am not too worried!

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #20 of 36

Here in the Fort Worth, TX area it has been in the triple digits for days and who knows what the heat index is. I can't even look at the heat index or I'll faint. I have a wedding cake and a groom's cake this weekend that I really don't want to do just because of the heat.
I have been baking one layer per day, getting up at 4:00am to bake just to avoid the heat, I have to stop baking when the sun rises. I have central air but most of my $$$ goes to gas in my car just so I can remain in the rat race, let alone paying increased utility bills. Geez.

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 36

Yep! Too HOT! People say "It's summer!" But it's not suppose to get THIS hot! thumbsdown.gif I've been using the grill for dinners except today..I'm using the oven right now and I can feel it, even with the ac on! I'll be turning the oven off as soon as I post this.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:23pm
post #22 of 36

Ok, Los Angeles weighing in here........ You guys got what we had! Do I feel for you? You bet I do! I have no AC, but I have LOTS of fans going and all of my doors open.....oh, and my oven? Only when I have to.

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:43pm
post #23 of 36

Sorry to hear about all the heat waves plus no air conditioning. How is the humidity up there??? Ya'll can always send the cake orders down to Houston.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #24 of 36

It's been in the upper 90's to 100 here all week too. My AC can't even keep up, I think it's going to quit on me any day now! I really feel for anyone without AC, so I can't complain too much!

I can't believe that in the UP it's in the 60's! What a difference in weather in one state!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #25 of 36

Knoxville, TN:

Yesterday the heat index was 104!

My poor ole' air conditioner (central) was set (as usual) on 69---the dang temperature at 6:30 yesterday night was ALMOST 80 IN THE HOUSE!! That thing was workin' as hard as it could! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

To make it even BETTER: Last time the air-conditioner dude was here, he said my system "was on it's LAST LEG!!!" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Dangit. icon_evil.gif

--Knox--

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #26 of 36

We had the same problem. Thermostat set to 78 and it was 83. AC could not even keep up!

mayra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayra Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #27 of 36

I hear you, I am in Albany, NY my fiances brother's birthday was this past weekend it was way too hot to turn on the ovenso we went to Price Chopper and got him a carvel ice cream cake.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:15pm
post #28 of 36

I'm just south of Albany. Thankfully a couple of years ago we installed central air and its been working overtime this week.

I work all day in a kitchen though that has no ac so i feel for all of you who don't have it or have it and its not working right. Today at work we lost all our exhaust fans, they got fried last night with the storms that blew through, let me tell you hot wasn't the word, worse is that its very hard to breath with the air so thick here.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:16pm
post #29 of 36

Atlanta, Georgia here...98 degrees at 6:15. It's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk.

It's too hot to sit on the veranda and sip a mint julep, also!!!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:19pm
post #30 of 36

Peg, I have been meaning to say it, but i love your signature....isnt that the truth! My 15 month old can destroy my living room...its toy carnage everywhere I look! Sometimes I dont think my hubby believes that I pick it all up at least 3 or 4 times a day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%