Wedding Cake History

Decorating By dragonwarlord1969 Updated 11 Jun 2005 , 4:06am by tcturtleshell

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 9:45am
post #1 of 13

Hello Everybody!!

I found this on a site and thought it to be interesting. I think we should go back to the original concept of the wedding cake! thumbs_up.gif (just don't tell my wife icon_redface.gif ) thumbs_up.gif I wonder if this is where the phrase, "not tonight dear, I have a headache" originated from. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe

The History of the
Wedding Cake

The history of the wedding cake began with bread (usually wheat) and was subsequently broken over the head of the bride for a plentiful life and years of happiness. Guests scrambled for the crumbs and partook of them eagerly as they were assumed to be tokens of good luck.

More recently, brides and grooms kissed over bunches of little cakes and later, the cakes were made into one with icing over them and thus the tiered wedding cake custom began.

For many years, the top layer of the cake was frozen and then consumed on the first anniversary. However, with the invent of preservatives, and who knows what else, many now suggest this top layer be eaten on the one month anniversary or soon after.

The groom's cake is traditionally a "fruit cake" - no pun intended, that is said to bring fertility to the newlyweds.

The Groom's Cake

The grooms cake is suppose to be a gift from the bride to the groom. In ancient times, it was believed that if a single woman put a piece of the grooms cake under her pillow, she would dream that night of the man she would marry.

This cake is usually dark, liquor-soaked, CHOCOLATE, or deep chocolate fudge. The cake would be displayed next to the wedding cake and later cut up and put in small white boxes for the guests to bring home.

Sometimes the grooms cake is served at the reception as an alternative or SECOND DESSERT choice. Until recently, many couples had chosen to forego the groom's cake, as an unnecessary expense.

However, the grooms cake has made a recent comeback. It has shown up as dessert at the rehearsal dinner or a "late night snack" to be enjoyed with the wedding party. It makes for a great surprise, a few laughs and who can resist a deep, double chocolate fudge cake?

Many are getting creative with the grooms cake and making it in various shapes and styles to match the grooms personality or a particular interest or hobby. How about a cake in the shape of a golf club, computer, boat, or a slot machine, just to name a few

12 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 10:13am
post #2 of 13

That's pretty interesting, Joe, thanks for sharing with us!

The poor bride all those years ago...all that work for a wedding and then get the bread (cake) broken over her head..wonder if they mean litterally?

I'm glad the groom's cake is back, I think it is a fun addition to the occasion. Janice

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks to the tid bit, very interesting.

Nesmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nesmar Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks Joe for sharing, where did you get that info?. I heard the same story on the Food Network, when they did a special on the secret life of Wedding cakes. They showed where the bread (cake) was litterally broken over the brides head.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 13

Hey Joe!

Great story! I'm going to print it out to show bride & groom's when they are here picking out a cake. I think it will surely break the ice for them & for me too!!

I think the breaking bread should be on the groom's head! You guys are the hardheaded ones icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

~TC~

CakesbyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKimmie Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 13

That is really neat! I think I am going to make my fiance's grooms cake, Star wars of Course LOL It will be a lot less stressful than making the wedding cake.

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesmar

Thanks Joe for sharing, where did you get that info?. I heard the same story on the Food Network, when they did a special on the secret life of Wedding cakes. They showed where the bread (cake) was litterally broken over the brides head.

Hi Nesmar! I found it here:

http://www.usabride.com/wedplan/a_cake_history.html

Joe

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:44am
post #8 of 13

Joe,

Did you ever do that baby shower cake? Where's the pic? We'd love to see it~

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 10:29am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Joe,

Did you ever do that baby shower cake? Where's the pic? We'd love to see it~

Hi Tina! My first baby shower pic was a hit! The mom-to-be almost cried when she saw it. She would not let anybody take any until she got some pics first! icon_biggrin.gif I have a pic but I need to scan it. I will scan it soon and post it. I have another baby shower next weekend! Then that's it for a while. I've been busy reclaiming my poor neglected back yard. I cut down 17 trees so far and found another I'm not sure of. HEY! I have a home for your sons alligator. Our pool has not been covered or dealt with for about 5 years! icon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gif

Joe

Nesmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nesmar Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 11:11am
post #10 of 13

Thanks Joe for the web location.

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 1:50am
post #11 of 13

Hey Joe,

Will you take the son too?? icon_lol.gif Can't take the gator w/ out the son!! Oh.. son will cut down trees! He's good at yard work! He has worked for 2 landscapers in the past 3 yrs. You could keep him too! icon_wink.gif Good luck on that pool. Sounds like a big mess! thumbsdown.gif

So glad that your cake was a hit!! I have never done a baby shower cake icon_sad.gif Don't know anyone pregnant! I guess I'll just have to do one for the heck of it. thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see yours!

I made a great fish cake last weekend BUT my scanner isn't working! icon_cry.gif It will print but won't scan! What a bummer!

Don't work too hard Joe! TTYL~

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 10 Jun 2005 , 9:16am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Hey Joe,

Will you take the son too?? icon_lol.gif Can't take the gator w/ out the son!! Oh.. son will cut down trees! He's good at yard work! He has worked for 2 landscapers in the past 3 yrs. You could keep him too! icon_wink.gif Good luck on that pool. Sounds like a big mess! thumbsdown.gif

So glad that your cake was a hit!! I have never done a baby shower cake icon_sad.gif Don't know anyone pregnant! I guess I'll just have to do one for the heck of it. thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see yours!

I made a great fish cake last weekend BUT my scanner isn't working! icon_cry.gif It will print but won't scan! What a bummer!

Don't work too hard Joe! TTYL~

Hi Tina,

I'll take the son and the alligator (minus the snake eggs icon_smile.gif ) if you take Sarah. She's in the terrible twos BIG TIME! I'll take her back when she outgrows it. thumbs_up.gif

The bad thing about scanners and printers is they are so cheap, I wonder if they're worth fixing. Have you tried to delete and reload the software? Was the Crocodile Hunter icon_lol.gif messing around with it? Back when I was his age (OMG! I can't believe I just said that icon_eek.gif ) If something did not work, my parents talked to me about it first before looking to get it fixed.

Joe

tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jun 2005 , 4:06am
post #13 of 13

Hey again Joe,

I will take Sarah in a heart beat!!!! Girls are so much easier then boys!! princess.gif Even in their terrible 2's!!

I know what you mean about scanners/printers. They are cheap made too. I have the 3 in 1 from HP. It sucks up the ink so fast!! I put ink in & it bearly lasts 2 mths!! I keep using it though because it still has more in it! The makers just want you to keep buying more ink & waste your money! I had a computer virius last week, I think it might have something to do w/ that. It's all fixed now except for the scanner part of the printer. Weird!

That's funny you said get my son to look at it! thumbs_up.gif He does fix everything around the house! I'll have to get him to look at it.

Oh... your not old... I guess 1969 is your birth year? birthday.gif Mine is 1967... I'm a little older then you! shhh.gif Heck, I have an 18 yr old & 15 yr old.. that makes me feel old!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

TTYL~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%