Came Up With Something Fun...

Decorating By lcottington Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 7:57pm by toristreats

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 20

from a disaster per se -- tried a new recipe sister gave me...I substituted frozen lemonade concentrate for water in a lemon cake mix to make lemonade cake...well, had a bad baking experience - one layer got overdone while the other was a bit underdone - when I tried to unpan the underdone it fell into pieces -- so I threw both in a ziploc and into the freezer...

Month later, have to go to a family picnic -- hot here in Arizona so was thinking of yummy cool things...came up with the attached...

Summertime Trifle!! The layers consist of lemonade cake, fresh whipped cream, and vanilla pudding -- topped with white chocolate chips and yellow sprinkles!

This was probably the lightest - coolest - tangiest thing I've tasted in a while! Was great on the hot afternoon - family consumed it so fast I barely got to try it!!!

Enjoy! Thanks for looking - Lisanne
LL

19 replies
redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 20

That LOOKS SOOO YUMMY!!!

PM me the recipe on the lemonade cake and for this! It's SOOO hot here in TX that SOunds SO yummy!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 20

What a fantastic idea for cake trimmings! Sounds quick, easy, and delicious to put together when you have a bag of frozen cake pieces on hand. I will definatly make a note of this idea! What a yummy idea!

Diana

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 20

Can I get the recipe too please??? Redhare, I'm just north of Denton! Man, I don't know how many more of these 100+ days I can take! I'm a yankee!!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 20

That does sound wonderful! I wouldn't mind having the recipe as well! icon_biggrin.gif

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 20

I'll post the recipe here -- there really isn't one....

the lemonade cake is merely taking a lemon cake mix and where the mix calls for water you substitute thawed frozen lemonade concentrate. I followed the mix instructions for everything else.

The trifle is put together as follows...starting at the bottom of the trifle bowl...crumbled cake, vanilla pudding, whipped cream (I use stabilized whip cream from Wilton site it holds up better), crumbled cake, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, etc. until you reach the top -- I like to end with whipped cream it looks prettier -- I then put some white chocolate chips on top and yellow sprinkles to dress it up a bit!

Yummy!

Lisanne

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 20

Wow, what a great idea! I would never have thought to make a trifle with a lemon cake....sounds tasty! And you're right, nice and cool and tangy I bet!

I've used scraps for trifles, but they were always chocolate stuff with pudding. And I never do them except in fall and winter. Great idea!

Thanks for sharing! I love this site! icon_biggrin.gif

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 20

That looks soooooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 20

What a great idea! I make triffles, but usually it is always chocolate.

Maybe your cake had too much liquid in it?? I tried a yellow cake mix that I added pina colada mix to it and it was good, but almost fell apart beacause of all the liquid.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 20

Lisanne, Great idea! You made it easy for yourself for the family picnic because you didn't have to turn on the oven to bring the dessert!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 20

Ooooh that sounds yummy. I can't wait to try it. What a great summertime treat. Thanks for sharing.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:18am
post #12 of 20

Some of the best recipes are happy accidents. Your trifle looks cool, refreshing and delish!!! Wish I had a scoop!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Seeing_i_dog67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seeing_i_dog67 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 20

Sounds Yummy! Can't wait to try it.. I'll have to get one of those clear things you have your cake displayed in.
Looks like something I can stand to bake in 100° weather

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 20

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 20

sounds great, I make one with strawberries and blueberries for the 4th of july (red white and blue theme) but I bet fruit would go well with the Lemonade cake as well! My family always goes nuts for Trifles, but I have only made them as summertime treats...never thought about doing a chocolate version for fall/winter. Great ideas all!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #16 of 20

mmmmmm, I wish I had lemonaid on hand to make this now, it's really humid I don't know how much more my curly hair can shrink up.

icingcommando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingcommando Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 20

I wish they would have saved dome for me!!! It looks absolutely wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #18 of 20

That looks and sounds wonderful! I am wishing I had lemon cake mix on hand right now also icon_biggrin.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:17pm
post #19 of 20

Looks and sounds very good!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 20

looks and sounds good.
I wonder if you could have added a bit of flour to your mix to make it not quite so moist...I really don't know...I have problems when I try to make things up (I'm a newbie to cake decorating), but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%