How Does A Cake Club Work?

Decorating By peajay66 Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 10:42pm by peajay66

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 24

What do you do in a cake club? How does one work?

As far as I know I don't have any even remotely close to me. I'd consider starting one in my area, but I need to know what to do, how to start, etc.

TIA!

Peajay

23 replies
peajay66 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 24

Bump

No ones in a cake club?

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 24

here is a bump for you again

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 24

I would love to know as well! BUMP

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 24

I don't belong to one, but looked into one in my area. I think you meet once per month either at somone's home or cake store. Each month you either have somone talk and show you how to do something, or do a hands on demo (e.g. ice a cake smooth, making a gumpaste rose, fbct, etc.). It can be anything you want. The idea is to get people together with the same interest, and to learn something new or get better at it.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:06am
post #6 of 24

Although I don't belong to a cake club I do belong to ICES Indiana chapter and we meet about every 3 months in different areas of the state. Last time we met in Ft. Wayne at Country Kitchen Sweet Art and had several demo's through the day. We started at 8am with a light breakfast (muffins, fruits, coffee cakes and drinks) then started with a business meeting. After that we had several demo's , like how to work with fondant, how to make gumpaste flowers etc. We had lunch then on our own then had a few more demo's in the afternoon. It was really a great time and there was time to meet new people and network.
In Oct. we are meeting in South Bend I think.
I just love talking with others and learning new things because I am just an amateur at this and love learning.

Hope this helps some....

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:11am
post #7 of 24

If you live near Omaha, or Lincoln, I believe there is a cake club there. I think Omaha is hosting the next ices convention, Might want to look up on ICES site, maybe look up "Day of Sharing". I know they have had such there in the last year.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #8 of 24

Gosh I don't know any one who likes making cakes as much as I do. I know a lot of ladies who like to EAT them, plus if I want to end up making money at this (very early to do that now!!) I wouldn't want to birthday.gif get my friends into it then I won't have customers in the future. I do think Cookie Exchanges are fun and wouldn't mind starting one.

peajay66 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:27am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

If you live near Omaha, or Lincoln, I believe there is a cake club there.

Lincoln=2 hour drive
Omaha=3 hour drive

icon_sad.gif

But thanks for the idea. ICES in Omaha.....now THAT I could do!

icon_biggrin.gif

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:28am
post #10 of 24

We have clubs like that here and I find everyone is happy to share hints and tips. We usually have demonstrations from within the group or outside, question and answers, workshops and maybe even go visit another group. I reckon go for it advertise in the local paper I'm sure you'd be able to round up a few people to start with. thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:41am
post #11 of 24

I would love the opportunity to be involved in something like a cake club, but don't know of anything like that in my area of Kansas. And I wouldn't mind driving a ways for it either. I didn't get a lot out of the Wilton classes I took and have learned more on my own.

For those who know about ICES, what does it cost to join? Sure sounds fun and informative!

peajay66 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:47am
post #12 of 24

CarolAnn-what part of Kansas are you in? Maybe you're near me and we could get together? icon_smile.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:53am
post #13 of 24

I found out about our area cake club through a Wilton instructor. You could call your local Michaels (or any store that offers the Wilton classes) and ask to speak to the instructor. If there is a club, they would probably know about it.

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:54am
post #14 of 24

Peajay66,
I am in Richmond, south of Kansas City. There's someone not far from me in Savorburg, KS (if I'm remembering that much right) but I can't remember who it is. She does

Quote:
Quote:

beautiful

work!! Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll see this and contact me. Fingers crossed.......

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:55am
post #15 of 24

Peajay66,
I am in Richmond, south of Kansas City. Where are you, Nebraska? There's someone not far from me in Savorburg, KS (if I'm remembering that much right) but I can't remember who it is. She does beautiful work!! Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll see this and contact me. Fingers crossed.......

peajay66 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:14am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

I found out about our area cake club through a Wilton instructor. You could call your local Michaels (or any store that offers the Wilton classes) and ask to speak to the instructor. If there is a club, they would probably know about it.

LOL. Well, since the Wilton instructor is me, that probably wouldn't help. LOL

Thanks for the idea though.

icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:03am
post #17 of 24

Bumping you up cause I want to hear from someone in my area.....LOL

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:11am
post #18 of 24

So sorry peajay66...that's tooo funny!

Well, let me just say that you are doing a dis-service to your students by not knowing if there is or isn't a cake club around you! lol

Good luck in your quest....hope you find what you are looking for.

CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 12:25pm
post #19 of 24

Peajay where are you in Nebraska?

peajay66 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 24

CarolAnn-I'm in Kearney. Right smack dab in the middle of the state on I-80. (I did live in KC for a few years back in the late 80's. LOVED it!)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:00pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

For those who know about ICES, what does it cost to join? Sure sounds fun and informative!

Membership is $60 a year. You can find out more information at ICES.org.

PeaJay, Have you searched the baord for this topic? I want to say it has come up before and that maybe you will find the answers you want then.

I understand wanting a cake club in the area. There are none close to me as they are all 2, 3 or 4 hours away. I've often thought of starting one with my students, but just haven't gotten around to it. Its one of those items on my list of things to do.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:54pm
post #22 of 24

http://webmall1.com/sweetartsiowa/howtoclub.htm

Here is a guide I found online about starting a cake club. Maybe it will help you.

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 24

TexasSugar,
Where are you located in East Texas? I wouldn't mind joining a cake club myself, but I don't know if there are any around here.

peajay66 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 10:42pm
post #24 of 24

THANK YOU Texas Sugar!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%