Mil Says I Have No Talent...maybe I Don't

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 1:15am by guerrosos

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:41pm
post #31 of 127

You're far nicer than I am, if it was my I would have refused to make a cake after comments like that.
Your cake looks good to me, far better than what you'd see done "professionally" at the grocery store. Keep it at home for your husband to enjoy and call your MIL to inform her that you just can't make one that's good enough for her.

Once you start refusing to bring her cake when she wants it her tune will change about your talent.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #32 of 127

Don't you dare quit decorating because of the She-Devil. icon_evil.gif Honestly, her comments are nothing short of jealousy...not well disguised! I say do like Bobby Flay on the Food Network...challenge her to a cake-off. Usually the people that make such hurtful comments are jealous, because they can't do what you can do. You do great work!!!

Amy

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:45pm
post #33 of 127

Your cakes are AWESOME!!! Ignore her and don't do anymore cakes at her request.

I know you don't want to take it out on your husband but maybe you should talk to him (calmly) about it. I think he should say something to her! Regardless, you keep on doing what you are doing, beautiful and delicious cakes!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:48pm
post #34 of 127

First of all, I am sorry yours seems to be a real life version of Everybody Loves Raymond, lol!!

Second of all, ask your MIL if she can build a school bus cake like yours and lets see what she comes up with!

Plus, did you know your baby shower cake is featured on the thread "Favorite Most Awesome Sheetcakes!"

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=337713&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

Okay, so the link is not working exactly right but the post is by cakemommy and it is on page 5 or 6!!

You are doing great, continue on!!!!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:57pm
post #35 of 127

One word that your MIL is feeling....JEALOUSY!!! Just like Doug said! That cake is gorgeous! Absolutely perfect! I would go to a bakery and pick that one out and buy it if I saw it! What on earth is MIL talking about! Is she insane?! If I were you, I would look at my cakes and just know that they are good and I would just laugh at the insane comments from dear ole MIL!!! LOL! Okay..now I just paused and took a look at your other cakes...and yep! She is insanely jealous or something!!! Keep up the good work!! Your cakes are great!!

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #36 of 127

I'm going to be blunt. Your MIL is an idiot. You do lovely work and I really like the father's day cake. She HAS to be jealous because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the work you do. Don't you dare quit because of someone like that.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm
post #37 of 127

Is she CRAZY, or maybe she's legally blind! Your cakes are GREAT! I have quite a few of them in my favorites. She's just jealous and that's is an ugly thing! My MIL is the same way. She will say stuff and it's very rude, but she will act like that was not how it was meant. I feel sorry for people like that. Anyway, don't let her get to you. Your cakes are beautiful!

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:07pm
post #38 of 127

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

she has to be confusing your cakes with someone else's cakes....you do BEAUTIFUL work!!! NO TALENT icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

i just dont get some people.....
keep on keepin' on---you're cakes rock!

cakeatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatty Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:14pm
post #39 of 127

I agree!! You can't let someone who obviously has NO taste determine whether you continue to do something you love. If she continues, let her call Wal-Mart or the local grocery store. Of course, I would be evil about it and just hand her the decorating bag and tell her to knock herself out icon_evil.gif Keep your chin up girl! You're wonderful!

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:15pm
post #40 of 127

Don't let her upset you. She doesn't know (and clearly can't appreciate) the effort that goes into making a beautiful cake. Your border is really wonderful. Keep decorating, dear!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:17pm
post #41 of 127

I don't know how anybody could say this to you as I think your cakes are lovely. It's so sad that a family member has said such a dreadful thing seems even worse than a total stranger saying it. I hope you don't let this ruin your own enjoyment of baking and decorating as I think you have buckets of talent and look forward to seeing more of it!

faby33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faby33 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #42 of 127

i agree with people here, if that is not talent omg then was it is left for people like me icon_surprised.gif . i believe your cakes look very good. when people do those kind of comments like you mil just ignore her or i would say maybe i don't have any talent but i will keep making cakes , practice make perfect just to conform her and let her know that you won't give up on cakes. there is no doubt she is a mean person by saying that, idon't think a person with a nice heart would make such a comment.
really keep doing what your doing because i really would buy cakes from you, your do beautiful cakes. maybe she is not mean , maybe what she needs is new glasses and we are being so bad with this poor lady .
good luck.

jmarks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmarks Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:23pm
post #43 of 127

Your MIL must be nuts! I just took a quick look at your photos, and they all look great to me! You DO have talent!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #44 of 127

Sounds like she is jealous that her son has another woman in his life. I know a lot of mother in laws that act that way. They claim they want their son to be happy but they say and do everything in their power to make them unhappy. My mother in law included. She never said anything hateful to me like that but she has done some pretty hateful things. She is just jealous and I wouldnt worry about it. As my mother told me, she wont be around forever!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #45 of 127

It is time you look "MOMMY DEAREST" right in the eye, and say " I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would say something that hurtful to me..... Have I done something to offend you ?"

rhesp1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhesp1212 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #46 of 127

Here's something that will probably shut her up.....charge her for the cake!!! Tell her all of your customers get charged a reasonable price for their cakes and have been very pleased with your work. If she wants a cake, she'll have to pay for your time and TALENT just like everyone else!!! Please don't stop decorating.....if it's something you love you should persevere! You DO have talent...i've looked at all of your cakes!! icon_biggrin.gif Who is she to criticize when she's getting a fricking free cake anyways!!! icon_mad.gif Some people!!

Valerie

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #47 of 127

Okay, I've looked at your cakes. Your MIL needs GLASSES. Don't her evil comments deter you from doing what you do.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:34pm
post #48 of 127

LIKE OTHERS, I THINK SHE IS VERY JEALOUS OF YOUR TALENT. I REMEMBER YOUR BABY SHOWER CAKE LIKE THE INVITATION. YOU DO HAVE TALENT. ALSO LIKE OTHERS YOU ARE A LOT KINDER THAT I AM WHEN I'M ATTACKED. I WOULD HAVE TOLD HER TO GO STRIGHT TO ####!

BUT NEXT TIME WHEN YOU CUT ONE OF YOUR WONDERFUL CAKES, DON'T CUT HER A SLICE, AND TELL HER THAT "YOU KNEW SHE WOULD NOT WANT ANY SINCE SHE THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY TALENT".

SHE SHOULD BE PROUD THAT HER SON PICKED A WOMAN WITH SO MUCH TALENT, AND NOT SOME AIRHEAD. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK, AND HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH GIRLFRIEND!!!!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:37pm
post #49 of 127

everyone has covered it pretty much. definately jealousy.
All your cakes are awesome!! that cake is to die for, yum.

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:37pm
post #50 of 127

Your mother-in-law's comments are exactly why they have a bad name... Your cake looks so great! Luckily I have a MIL who is always blown away by what I do, but my mother is a lot like your MIL so I understand completely! If anybody in my family ever made a comment like that to me, I would politely tell them that if it isn't up to their standards, they can go somewhere else to PAY for one! icon_lol.gif

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:30pm
post #51 of 127

Is she in rehab for smoking crack. I think your cakes are great dont dare stop. I think every one else covered why she is so nasty. Next time she asks you to make a cake ask her why if she thinls they are so ugly. Then I would charge her out the you know what for it. I hope your husband backs you up does e know she is crazy? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:39pm
post #52 of 127

Okay, she's either a nut case, blind, or jealous (maybe all three)! All your cakes look great. I think it takes real talent not only to make a beautiful cake, cut also make it taste great as well. Next time you make a cake & she is present, I would scrape off all the icing & decor from her piece leaving just the cake.
It would be so nice to have a great MIL!! I wouldn't know about this either!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:48pm
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

My MIL says I have no talent in the cake department but says they taste good. icon_sad.gif Makes me sad that I thought I was getting somewhere with this but maybe not. She asked me to bring a Father's Day cake today to a dinner tonight but she probably won't like the looks of it either. I am posting it on here, but don't expect comments on it. It just hurts when someone says something like that to you. Especially when you think you try as hard as you can at something. I feel for my DH. How did he survive this woman while he was groing up. I try not to let her bother me but....it does. Sorry just a sob, feel sorry for myself story.

Thanks for reading and letting me put my feelings down on here so I don't take it out on DH

OMG I LOVE THAT CAKE! Seriously, that is FABULOUS. Your writing is wonderful, the borders are exquisite and the design is great. Your MIL needs to keep her (wrong) opinion to herself. And I hope you are like me, when someone tells me I can't do something - I do it 10 times as well as I would have just to prove them wrong.

Rachel

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #54 of 127

Your cake is beautiful, and I love the way you did the borders! thumbs_up.gif

Your mother-in-law is probably jealous because she can't do cakes the way you do icon_evil.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:59pm
post #55 of 127

I pulled up all your cakes and fully expected to see someone who was just starting or something. But your cakes are darling! There isn't one of them that is not great.

I would ask your mother in law to show you how to do a beautiful cake. When she tells you she can't then smile and say "Well then, I KNOW I have MORE tallent then you!". Then just laugh.

Why oh why do some people feel the need to put someone down who not only has fun decorating but is also good.

pb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pb Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #56 of 127

Ignore the woman you have some great cakes (I have just been looking in your gallery).

MIL's are strange creatures - I have known mine for 9 years now and she has NEVER baked a cke in all the time I have known her, but recently any birthday opportunity off she goes and now I don't get asked!!

Keep up the good work. thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:03pm
post #57 of 127

I would tell her to shove it! Your cakes are great! I especially like your top boarder on the Father's Day cake! I can't even do that!

Say to her "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" That will shut her up! Some people!!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:05pm
post #58 of 127

just looked at your cakes and they are great,you have the talent by all means . your MIL is JEALOUS to say the least!!!!!!!!!! you just keep up the work and let her comments go in one ear and OUT the other dear!!!!!!!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:27pm
post #59 of 127

There is not a thing in the world wrong with that cake or any of your cakes for that matter.

Don't take it to dinner tonight, I wouldn't. HUGS!

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:29pm
post #60 of 127

Here is a big (((((HUG)))))!! I just took a look at your cakes and they are beautiful. The only one lacking something is your MIL and she is lacking couth. Ignore her. It sounds like she just wants to get under your skin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%