Suggestions On Jack Sparrow Cake Please^^

Decorating By jbink24 Updated 15 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm by jbink24

jbink24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbink24 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 7:03am
post #1 of 19

I'de like to do a Jack Sparrow cake for a family birthday, and the birthday boy wants an image of him on the cake. My question is, with all the detail in something like Jack Sparrow, what method would be the best to do this? (limited resources, can't do edible image...) Thanks much^^

18 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 7:33am
post #2 of 19

I did a google search and found this drawing of Jack Sparrow's face...no idea who did it. To me it looks fairly easy to copy, but not sure how you will feel about it. It was a very small picture. I would use a projector to shine the image on the cake and then outline it all in black. The red part could be any color instead of red.

[moderator edited to remove copyrighted material]

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 7:59am
post #3 of 19

I like SugarFrosted's idea. I have no idea of my own, but I did notice this is your 2nd post and wanted to Welcome you to CC!!!! Good luck!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:18am
post #4 of 19

Wow! Now I am embarrassed! Where are my manners?!?!? I did not even notice it is your 2nd post! (Thank You petitesweet icon_redface.gif )

....but it is after 3AM here icon_surprised.gif

Welcome to CC! You will love it here!

jbink24 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 19

Thank you bothicon_biggrin.gif I've been checking this site out for awhile, and have already gotten some great ideas^^ Everyones so talented and willing to help, I love the internet. I really like the idea of the projection, but I don't have a projector.. I'm thinking of doing a FBCT, and maybe doing two of them in case one of them breaks. Good idea? Bad idea? I found this picture on google images, and was able to trace a more cartoony version of it right onto wax paper. I'm thinking of using that as a guide and doing the transfer... either that, or maybe using a toothpick to trace an indentation of the image onto the cake and piping it on sort of freehand style... any suggestions on which would be a better way to do this?

jbink24 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 19

ergh.. the picture didn't attach X.x heh, you'd think that with being a teenager and therefore computer skill inclined I'de be able to figure out how^^ Ah well, here goes again.

[moderator edited to remove copyrighted material]

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 19

OK, couldn't help myself, but anything with Captain Jack Sparrow sounds yumalicious!!!!!!!!!! I might go with a transfer or if your really adventurous, make a bust of him.
Good luck and post the picture.
Amy

jbink24 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 19

Lol, you should have seen how excited I was when the he said "Can you make a Captain Jack Sparrow cake?" I'm just afraid of dementing him^^

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 19

Yo Ho Ho!!!!!!!!!
Well, consider our favorite pirate a little dimented anyway, that's one reason why we love him. Do us proud Girly Girl!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure when we see the picture, it will be goin' in my favorites.
Amy

jbink24 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:13am
post #10 of 19

I'm hoping it turns out like I'm picturing it, because I've got this really cool idea for it^^. It's only my second cake though, and my first was fondant... I've never really been able to find a good buttercream recipe that makes the right consistancy, so, I'm starting early and am going to be doing LOTS of testing and experimenting. I've got about 10 days until the day of the party, so I've got time to plan it all out. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone's got any other suggestions, I'de be forever grateful for them^^ I could use all the help I can get.

jbink24 Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 19

Just finished last night^^ Bugger cost me two nights of sleep but was completly worth it. Slightly messy, but overall, I'm completly satisfied^^. Jack Sparrow looks... completely yummy in all senses of the word (as usual^^) Half chocolate, half peanut butter 9 by 13 cake with loaf cake to creat a treasure chest next to the actual cake. Lol, last night after spending over half an hour smotthing frosting and almost havign it how I wanted, the whole thing took a tumble to the floor X.x... at least it was salvagable... had to make a Kroger run for more butter though and make an entire new batch of b/c. I'll post a picture as soon as I have one. Thank you guyst for the suggestions. The birthday boys love it^^ AS for me, I'm going into hybernation.

jbink24 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 2:57am
post #12 of 19

heres a picture. There was a treasure chest shaped cake that went with it. Had some trouble with this beast, not sure if I'm pleased, but I just may be^^ Someone put their finger in his cheek X.x Constructive criticism welcome^^

(cake was amazingly delicious by the way^^)
LL

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #13 of 19

In this case I would take the easy way out and print out the image on acitate paper ( I hope that's how you spell it) or any thing safe to place on top of the cake. Then just remove it before serving. Just a thought may not be the best but had to help some how. icon_rolleyes.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #14 of 19

it came out really well!

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #15 of 19

thumbs_up.gif I like it! You did a really good job....!!Looks just like him!!

WooHoo!!! thumbs_up.gif

Keep on baking!

Cindy

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #16 of 19

Wow! That's very impressive and welcome to CC!

jbink24 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:06am
post #17 of 19

Thank you all^^ I've gotta say, you are all really alented. Any pride I had over it has been completly humbled icon_smile.gif I thought it turned out alright for a first try though^^

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:26am
post #18 of 19

You did that! LOL, it is really nice work, awesome details. What did you use?

jbink24 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 19

I used a fbct for his face, and piped everything else on with a half crisce, half butter buttercream. for the pink suction cups on the Kracken, Igot lazy and used minnie m&ms. And thanks^^ I'm all about the details, I'm the sort of person that has to have everything just right, and take my time to plot things down to the smallest detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%