M & M Cake!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 8 Jun 2005 , 5:19pm by Calejo

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 9

Someone out there in Cake Central Land has to have an idea for doing a 3D M & M cake. My nephew is turning 2 in Sept and I had this great idea for doing a cake that looks like the little candies. My sister-in-law wants it to be 3D not just frosted to look like one on a flat round cake. Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Amy

8 replies
jgclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgclucas Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have the ball pan? You could use half of that, or maybe bake a cake in an oven proof bowl? Then you could make the arms and legs with fondant or gumpaste.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 9

Not quite sure how this would work but the first two things that came to mind were the sports ball pan or taking a round pan (thinking 2 cakes maybe??) and standing them up. I'm sure you would have to dowel them. I am pretty sure that I have seen this done somewhere, I just can't remember where. I am sure one of the brilliant people on here will come up with some great ideas for you!! Good luck.

Charlotte

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 9

Both ideas sound great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the sports ball pan.....I wonder.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I will have to do a trial cake for this one for sure!!!

Amy

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 9

Yeah, I'd use two round cakes, 8" and stick them together, level off the botton so it will stand up....use dowels to secure to bottom cake and have legs coming out from the bottom to look like the M & M guy is sitting down, attach fondant arms, eyes, etc.

Be sure and post a picture when you get done....this sounds really cute!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 1:22am
post #6 of 9

Almost like a purse cake, with fondant of your choice maybe? Using the 2 rounds, icing to hold them together and cut at the bottom to sit on the cake board. You'd have to "bevel" the edges to look like the M&M, but I think you could do it!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 1:35am
post #7 of 9

Maybe use a 3-D egg pan to look like a peanut MM. Maybe he could be sitting down and you could make the legs out of fondant.
traci

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 9

My first thought was the 3D egg pan as. I would level off the bottom so that it could sit up and then I would cover it in MM fondant to help hold it together. I would use the mm fondant to make the arms and legs and then I would place little real M&M's all around it. This will turn out cute and I would love to see the finished pics

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 9

If you did the peanut m & m idea, you could have it "reading" to all the "baby" m & m's. the book could be made out of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%