Has Anyone Made Elisa Straus' Chocolate Cake?

Decorating By kraftychristy Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm by flavacakes

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 27

Has anyone made this and how did it turn out? Im making my dad a father's day cake and want to try this recipe. Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks
Christy

26 replies
kraftychristy Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 27

anybody?

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 27

I'm curious about the recipe too, anyone?

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 27

What's the recipe? I mean the actual recipe

kraftychristy Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 27

Well, Im making it right now, so I will let you know. brnrlvr, I will post the recipe in a little while. icon_smile.gif

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #6 of 27

Sounds delicious, let us know! I have to ask, is that little girl holding a fish?! That is the cutest photo!!

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:07am
post #7 of 27

It sounds good. seems to have more cocoa in it than I usually see. I am always looking for a better chocolate cake, so let us know if it turns out!!

kraftychristy Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #8 of 27

I made the cake and so far so good. It's real firm and looks like it has nice tight crumb. Im going to ice in Chocolate BC, so I will let keep you guys updated!

As for my Avatar.....that is my three year old, Chloe` on her first (short) fishing trip to her uncle's trout pond. You're guaranteed to catch a fish there!! She absolutly loved it and she aggravates my hubby all the time now to go fishing. What's so funny is I was feeding my 5 month old his breakfast one day, cereal with fruit and she was watching. Well, you know how babies are, most of it comes right back out. She was so grossed out that she started gagging! Im cracking up as I type this. Anyway, her and her daddy bring all the fish home and he cleans them ,and she wants to play with the fish guts!! ARGGGGG!!! Nasty! She's just touching them and stuff, but she gags when the baby eats! Go figure. icon_lol.gif

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 27

How did it turn out? I'm making it for the first time tomorrow!!

flavacakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:14am
post #10 of 27

I'm dieing to know how it turned out!!!!!

kraftychristy Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:25am
post #11 of 27

It turned out pretty good. I say pretty good, because it was kept in the fridge and got really dense, but it stayed very moist, so I was pleased with that. I'd like to try a piece that's at room temp to really get a taste of it. Im going to try it again this weekend for my hubbys bday, and then I will post again. I think it's a keeper though! It sliced well and stayed together. I made Martha's Ultimate Chcoolate Cake a couple of months ago and it tasted awesome, but when I sliced it, it crumbled everywhere. And I also love Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake(on the back of the cocoa can) but it ALWAYS sinks in the middle. And not just a little either, it's like a crater. It always runs all over my oven too. Well, I will get back this weekend and let you what I think! icon_smile.gif
Christy

val25dejesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val25dejesus Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:25am
post #12 of 27

I did get a chance to make the chocolate cake. I don't know, I sort of liked it. I found it to be a bit dry. Maybe it was the way I cooked it.

flavacakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:41am
post #13 of 27

Oh no!!! I am so bummed, I'm planning on making it for my SIL's party on wednesday and I wanted it to be awesome! I just wanted to impress the in-laws! icon_lol.gif

What brand of cocoa powder did you guys use?

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:55am
post #14 of 27

Hi, I just wanted to jump in. I have not made this cake I make the Hellman's moist chocolate mayo cake a lot and everyone really likes it. It comes out moist but not too dense. It is also super easy!

http://www.hellmanns.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=8241&version=1

I use DH devils food cake mix. It is worth a try.

Cindy

flavacakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #15 of 27

Is the Hellman's recipe crumbly? How would it carve?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:56am
post #16 of 27

I wanted to share my experience with the Elisa Straus recipe. I made it the other day and found it a very firm, moist cake. I cut the salt a little bit though. I will make again but will cut the salt by half next time. I was scared of the amount of cocoa it called for...the most I had ever put in a single recipe was the 3/4 cup called for in the Hershey's recipe on the back of their containers. The icing I used on it subdued the stout chocolate flavor nicely. It was smooth and velvety in texture. It is a great recipe for carving too. It would be great to find a yellow cake with the same texture and moistness.

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #17 of 27

Hi Christy, I have tried chocolate cakes from the hershey book, but it's crumky. Would it be possible for your to post Elisa Straus' chocolate cake? I would love to try it. Thanks Iris

flavacakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #18 of 27

all4cake, thanks for posting! A couple questions: what does that amount of salt do to the cake? I'm just wondering if I should just go ahead and cut it in half too.
What cocoa powder did you use?
What icing did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm making it tomorrow!

datalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datalore Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:17am
post #19 of 27

I made it two weeks ago and everyone LOVED it. It has a very sophisticated flavour. I use Callebeut (sp?) Brut cocoa and find that this really makes the difference. Great texture. I found that it seemed to be a little more work than I cared for though. Its not your typical "one bowl" chocolate cake

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:22pm
post #20 of 27

I don't exactly know what the reason for a teaspoon of salt in a cake recipe that small would be. I'm sure the salt content had something to do with taking the edge off the high cocoa content. I love salt. Even though I cut it back a smidge(1/4 teaspoon per double batch), the cake had an edge to it when I tasted one of the tops about 45 minutes out of the oven. The cake was far tastier the next day.

I used regular ol' Hershey's cocoa.

I iced some with a coconut-pecan icing(DH's favorite) and some with a chocolate-sour cream frosting

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:42pm
post #21 of 27

Now I'm going to have to try this recipe! I thought it looked yummy in her book!

bakerchick103.....the picture of your daughter is priceless! I have a "17" year old Chloe (pictured with her Dad in my avatar)!

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #22 of 27

Thank you so much for the recipe, I will try it. One more question is this for a 9" pan? by the way your daughter is adorable.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:19pm
post #23 of 27

Flavacakes,

I used the mayo cake recipe for the pirate ship I did. It was my first carved cake and it seemed to be fine.

Cindy

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:33pm
post #24 of 27

It could very well be a copyright thing, unless you have permission from Elisa Straus to post it. Just wondering if you copied and pasted from Baking 911 site?

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:32pm
post #25 of 27

yes the recipe was deleted due to copyright infringment as was the second posting of it.

As a reminder, it is against CC forum rules to post content from other sites without their written consent.

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:35pm
post #26 of 27
flavacakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 9:00pm
post #27 of 27

Well I made the cake and OMG, I LOVE it!!! I actually used the Valhrona cocoa powder and I think it was worth it. My husband and I don't really care for chocolate cake, weird I know, but we really loved this cake! It was moist yet crumbly. But it carved really well. I know that doesn't make much sense but it's hard to explain. I can't wait to try her other recipes! I'm definately making this again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%