Buttercream...still Can't Get It Smooth

Decorating By SugarMoonCakeCo Updated 27 Jun 2007 , 6:17am by cinderspritzer

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 28

OK - i've tried a variety of BCs, maybe it's just me or the partiuclar day or my TOTAL LACK of experience...but what is the trick to really smooth BC...

i use CRUSTING recipes
i've tried papertowel (VIVA method), wax paper, parchment
i've tried MELVIRA (totally sucked with the roller)
i've tried all shortening versions & half butter versions
i've added flour (maybe too much?) and cornstarch
i've tried with meringue powder

i have not tried the frozen transfer method...that will be my next trick!

i'm chalking it up to lack of experience...but please
fill me in on your recipie choice and how you smooth it (pictures would be great!)

thanks in advance! icon_sad.gif

27 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 28

Help us out .... what happens when you try to do the smoothing? Is the icing sticking to the towel or the roller? (After 25 years, I just discovered the Melvira roller method a couple of months ago and it's the best! I'll never do a cake again w/o this method!)

Let us know what's happening when you try the various methods and that will help us narrow down what might be happening.

Thanks!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 28

Have you tried using a hot metal spatula to smooth your icings?

I go back and forth, still can't always get smooth icing. The more basic crisco and butter icings work best for me, I think ... LOL. Like I said, still working on it myself. But the hot spatula is my favorite, for ease.

Also, I think slowing down a little helps sometimes too (with the hot spatula).

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 28

I am having the same trouble, my icing sticks to my parchment paper, so i can't smooth. i stick it in the fridge, but that still happens. i would love to try the melvira, but i am afraid the same thing would happen. i have tried all shortening, as well as half shortening, half butter, i still get same results. icon_cry.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #5 of 28

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site, and I've found that if I make my bc a little thinner, it's easier to smooth. I had a devil of a time for the longest time, then I realized my bc was just too stiff.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:13am
post #6 of 28

I had this problem for the longest time too. I've not yet tried the Melvira method but I did just start using the recipe for FBCT to ice my cakes. I don't add any other liquid to it. And I use a bench scraper to do the sides. I add 1T meringue powder to it if I need it to crust - no more than that. A pastry chef friend of mine says too much meringue dries out the icing and it will develop holes the size of quarters and the edges won't melt into each other. And definitely the hot spatula works wonders, the hotter the water the better, and you can even leave the spatula wet and it won't hurt it....eventually the water on the surface evaporates. thumbs_up.gif

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:13am
post #7 of 28

i usually use the wilton buttercream and have no problem , even last week i used the whipped icing recipie from this site and it took a long time to crust but i used the roller method (melnira or something like that) and it was cool . but also try usin the icing tip the big fat one it makes ur life a little easier when it comes to smoothing.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:19am
post #8 of 28

For a while i thought i "lost" my ability to smooth b.c., but i realized over time i had changed how i was making the b.c. i got too comfortable making it and recently i realize that i was letting it chill long enough.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:26am
post #9 of 28

I have to praise Melvira. I could not smooth icing until she shared her secret of the roller. I use the basic Wilton bc recipe and thin it down to ice the cake. After icing, I let the cake sit for 5 to 10 minutes then go over it with the roller. This works me and I used to have a horrible time. I hope you can figure out something that works for you also. Good luck.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:34am
post #10 of 28

I found part of my problem with getting BC smooth was I didn't have my icing thin enough.

Then, I just started the Melvira method, and wholy moly it works. I have gotten the smoothest cakes ever with it!

It should work for you too, I havn't had any sticking. The foam material doesn't adhear to the BC like it does parchment.

Give it a try. I was in the same boat, a synic about the whole roller thing. I was ready to give up, tried it and I am rarin to go! I actually feel competant as a decorator now!

Stephanie

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 28

I recently discovered a "trick" that has really helped me out. I torte and ice between layers then pop the cake in the refrigerator for a while (left mine overnight). The next morning I made my icing a medium consistency, took the cake out of the refrigerator and iced the outside of the cake. I spread the icing on as smoothly as possible then allowed it to crust. There was very little smoothing to do and the method I used was putting a piece of parchment paper over the cake and gently rubbing with my hand. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 7:29am
post #12 of 28

does anyone have the link for Melvira s instruction
thanks

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 7:37am
post #13 of 28

I have this problem a lot too - like a pp said, though, I have better luck when I slow....down. I always want to hurry and get it done so I can start decorating and see the finished cake, lol. Thinning the icing has helped a LOT.

I haven't tried Melvira yet, I want to do that next.

I have also done the hot spatula but I leave mine wet and let the hot water help out a little.

I have had to set a pattern for myself to force the slow down...I do my crumb coat and pop the cake in the freezer, then go watch TV for 2 commercial breaks. then I do a layer of frosting, 2 more commercial breaks, then I come back and smooth it out. That seems to have helped.

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 8:33am
post #14 of 28

I tried the Melvira method- and I don't think i did it right. My icing kept sticking to the roller in spots. Evidentlly I didn't let it crust enough. I have tried the hot spatula method and it leaves shiny spots on my icing. I have also tried using a putty knife - i think that's what it's called but I'm sure you all know what I mean. It seems to work pretty well. No matter what method I use I can never seem to get my corners pretty and straight and somewhat crisp. They're always messy looking (where the top meets the side). I'm sure you can tell what I mean just by looking at my pics.

I think I need serious help.

SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 28

wow - i can believe how willing people are to help! this is the best forum site i've ever been on...

i'll be back to reply soon, i just finished one cake for today, put 3 in the oven for tomorrow and have to go nurse my baby...and it's only 9am!

Angie707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie707 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 28

When Im getting ready to sit down to ice- I have a big pot of boiling water. I get my spatula hot- DRY IT OFF- and run it slowly over the cake and the sides- smoother cake every time. It may not always be perfect, but definetely smooth. BTW... if you dont dry off the spatula before trying to smooth- although it will look the smoothest youve ever seen- your frosting will not crust.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie707

.... BTW... if you dont dry off the spatula before trying to smooth- although it will look the smoothest youve ever seen- your frosting will not crust.

Not true.... I hot knife all the time and I've NEVER wiped the knife dry. My icing crusts fabulous....stands up for over 5 hours outside in 90 degree heat.

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 9:37am
post #18 of 28

BTW CakeLady - I just looked at your photos and your cakes look great! I think you are being a little hard on yourself, and you are going to get better the more you practice!

SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #19 of 28

aww - thanks heavenlyfire!

no really - i need to get back to the basic CBC and see what happens - i tried again today (with the green ONE cake) and my icing stuck to everything, the roller, the parchment, my hand...ugggghhh

i just went and reviewed some techniques on here, now i need to get back to the CBC recipe and see how that works

what buttercreams does everyone here use? i've seen some FABULOUSLY smooth buttercream cakes in the galleries, makes me jealous!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #20 of 28

The Buttercream Icing Recipe I use is:
Cream Together:
1 t. Clear Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 t. Butter Flavoring
1/2 t. Almond Flavoring
4 T. Water
2 cups Crisco

Mix together well. Add:
2 T. Merigue Powder
2 lbs. Powdered Sugar

Blend well, but do not over mix.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlina25

I am having the same trouble, my icing sticks to my parchment paper, so i can't smooth. i stick it in the fridge, but that still happens. i would love to try the melvira, but i am afraid the same thing would happen. i have tried all shortening, as well as half shortening, half butter, i still get same results. icon_cry.gif

What recipe are you using? Are you sure it's one that is suppossed to crust? If it's not a crusting recipe, you won't be able to smooth it with parchment or a similar method, and the hot metal spatula is the best way to go then.

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:39am
post #22 of 28

I tried the Melvira method again this week-end only with well crusted buttercream (unlike the first time I tried it) and I am in love!! I've never gotten my buttercream so smooth.

SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 6:01am
post #23 of 28

OK - tried sugarshack's buttercream (hi-ratio) and it is PERFECT...i got it SMOOOOOOOTH! just using papertowel and bond paper with my hand

i still need to work at it, but this recipe makes ALL the difference...it's the white on white cake in my photos (with the bow on top)

ygbecerra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ygbecerra Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:04am
post #24 of 28

I'm having a problem with smoothing out my butter cream, so I have been reading all the post on the this problem. I would like to try sugarshacks recipe, but have no idea where to get the high ratio shortening. I'm from Texas. Does any one know where get this stuff? Please help

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:38am
post #25 of 28

I also use the hot spatula method I can get my cakes pretty smooth but certainly not as smooth as some I've seen. My problem is that it takes forever. I have to keep putting it back in the fridge and resmooth (not sure thats a word, but you know what I meant) I have tried Viva and Melvira with not much luck. I think the secrets in the icing. I've been using the buttercream dream recipe and perhaps I should be making it thinner. I'll keep trying practice always helps.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:04am
post #26 of 28
idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:13am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie707

When Im getting ready to sit down to ice- I have a big pot of boiling water. I get my spatula hot- DRY IT OFF- and run it slowly over the cake and the sides- smoother cake every time. It may not always be perfect, but definetely smooth. BTW... if you dont dry off the spatula before trying to smooth- although it will look the smoothest youve ever seen- your frosting will not crust.

Me too. Though I do want to try the Melvira method...

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:17am
post #28 of 28

you can also pop your cake into the freezer after you top coat it, just for a few mins. it stiffens the icing and makes smoothing super easy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%