Covering Rice Krispies Treats In Royal Icing?

Decorating By SaraO Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm by SaraO

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I'm going to try to make a figure out of Rice Krispies treats and I want to cover it in royal icing. Do you think that will work or would it be better to cover it in fondant? Also, if someone could make a tutorial on how to make shapes and figures out of Rice Krispies treats that would be awesome! I'm sure a lot of people could benefit! Thanks a lot for any help you can give me. I'm really enjoying this forum (and it IS addictive!)

4 replies
Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know that royal icing would be thick enough to cover all the bumps and crevices in rice krispies to make it smooth, I mostly use RI for cookies, I would try fondant as you can make it a little thicker. JMO but maybe someone else has had luck with something different

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #3 of 5

To make Krispie figures, first crush the krispies. It makes for a smoother surface. I think it is easier to cover in fondant than royal, but you would get a smoother surface with royal. Remember, fondant will seek the lowest level and what looks good at first may be disappointing later.

You can use pop sticks for support and remember to treat it like a tier if you are placing it on a cake. Krispies can get quite heavy.

Happy Baking!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:46am
post #4 of 5

My thought is maybe the RI would make it really difficult to eat. IF you can crush the rice crispies and get them really smooth RI would dry to a smooth finish. Then again I always think the same thing when I make something out of gumpaste but my kids still insist on eating them. Let us know if this works out well for you.

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 5

I bought some fondant today (the marshmallow kind thank goodness the Wilton stuff is pukey) and I think I am just going to use that to make the figure. I think it might be easier. I'm trying to make Shaq. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the help. Oh yeah and I was thinking of using Oreo crumbs for his beard but I'm not sure if it will stick to the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%