Need Some Constructive Criticism

Decorating By tobycat Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 11:31am by LittleLinda

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:56am
post #1 of 28

I posted this cake in the gallery but only got one response and no constructive criticism. I made this cake as a sample, but I wanted to get some feedback about the colors and style before I go ahead and show it. I couldn't get a picture of the sides or the depth of the bear but the bear is a separate cake about 2" high. The sides have more flowers like what's shown on top. Fondant covered 10" with fondant covered bear cake. Hand painted fondant accents. The ears don't show up well here, but they were my favorite part. Personally, I like the wood grain effect on the bear, but I'm not sure that it works well on a white cake. My dh suggested a panda bear instead.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback. TIA --

Sarah
LL

27 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:59am
post #2 of 28

Ok, here goes. I think the work you did was splendid, and the woodgrain on the bear is very nicely done, but the bear is too dark for my taste. Definitely not a baby cake.

I would be inclined to agree with your husband and go to the panda, or even a pastel bear to brighten it up.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:04am
post #3 of 28

beautiful cake, very neat, cute bear. but i agree, it's too dark, how's about a white bear? or pastel? thumbs_up.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:05am
post #4 of 28

I agree, I like the idea and the concept of your cake, but the brown bear does take away from that. I think a panda would be adorable - or pastels.

If you are like to get really adventurous, maybe you could try giving the bear a little texture - with some sort of a textured mat or rolling pin....kids toy...something with a rough pattern that might resemble fur.

Besides colors though - which I've been told is usually the hardest thing to do...this is a great cake. You've got a lot of tallent and skills working with fondant.

Hope that helps, can't wait to see your next cake.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:08am
post #5 of 28

Have you ever heard of bas relief? It is a technique that is used in sculpting, but has often been applied to cake decorating. It builds up your central character from underneath to give it dimension. That would make your cake more unique, and also give it a variety of techniques, which judges look for in show cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #6 of 28

Ditto for me. I think the cake looks very beautiful but the brown bear takes away the "baby" look. Go with a pastel bear next time.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #7 of 28

I'm in agreement, the cake is absolutely adorable. Love the colors of the flowers and alphabet, but the bear does look too dark with the lighter colors. I think either a panda or pastel bear would be very cute.

Cindy

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #8 of 28

The bear is darling, and the cake is darling, but the two together are kind of 'jarring' to me.

That bear would be wonderful on a little boy's cake ... with an outdoor/camping/grass type theme.

Love the panda bear idea -- how about making it a Pink Panda? White bear with pink ears and paws, maybe lavender and orange 'spots'?

tarmitage1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarmitage1 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:15am
post #9 of 28

I really like the cake minus the bear. I personally think that maybe instead of adding a separate cake for the bear, maybe you could just draw one on top. I just think it sticks out. I also agree with everyone else. If its for a baby, a cute pink, yellow or blue bear would be great. My motto is never be afraid of colors!!! Asides from the bear, the cake is very well done and very pretty

tobycat Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:21am
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

Have you ever heard of bas relief? It is a technique that is used in sculpting, but has often been applied to cake decorating. It builds up your central character from underneath to give it dimension. That would make your cake more unique, and also give it a variety of techniques, which judges look for in show cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

First of all -- thank you so much everyone for the comments! I will definitely change the color of the bear! I will make a few practice ones using the ideas from here before deciding on the final, but they are all such great idea! TY, TY, TY! icon_biggrin.gif

tmirga, I've heard of bas relief, but I'm not sure how it applies here. I've never done it, and I wouldn't know it if I saw it, but when you say it adds dimension, I'm confused about how it would add more dimension to a 1-2" high bear? Could you elaborate on this a little bit? pm me if you want. Thanks a bunch!

Sarah

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:30am
post #11 of 28

One thing I see is that the letters are about the same size as the bear. I think the letters should be smaller. And yes, made him pastel or the same tone as the rest of the cake. Don't get me wrong it's adorable!

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:37am
post #12 of 28

I agree with everyone else, the cake is really cute but the bear needs to be pastel or a panda to go more with the baby theme. Great job though!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:00am
post #13 of 28

Would it be over-the-top to suggest that maybe the bear was lighter in color/or a polar bear, wearing a pastel-covered diaper? Might be cute! A pastel-colored bear seems strange to me (maybe light yellow though?), and a white one tough to show on white background.

IMO, one part needs to stand out more, either the bear OR the letters. The responses about lightening the bear or using smaller letters is probably because each element (I'm thinking of the bear as one element and the ABCs together as a second element) right now is of equal visual weight on the cake. Maybe make it one or the other. I love the ABCs as the main attraction myslef. I think they are perfect!

The cake is super-cute as it is right now, this is being picky and artsy! icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:18am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

Would it be over-the-top to suggest that maybe the bear was lighter in color/or a polar bear, wearing a pastel-covered diaper? Might be cute! A pastel-colored bear seems strange to me (maybe light yellow though?), and a white one tough to show on white background.

IMO, one part needs to stand out more, either the bear OR the letters. The responses about lightening the bear or using smaller letters is probably because each element (I'm thinking of the bear as one element and the ABCs together as a second element) right now is of equal visual weight on the cake. Maybe make it one or the other. I love the ABCs as the main attraction myslef. I think they are perfect!

The cake is super-cute as it is right now, this is being picky and artsy! icon_smile.gif

What a cute idea for the diaper! I'll have to give that one a try. As I look at the cake in real life, I think that the elements issue is what's been bugging me, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I really like the bear, but with the letters, it just doesn't work fully. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to combine both so that they compliment each other.

Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's comments!

Sarah

GsuperG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GsuperG Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 28

I agree with what everyone has already said about the color of the bear.
My suggestion is about the writting on the bears belly, I think it may look better if you had the bear holding a banner with the writting on it.
But other than that and the color of the bear it is a very sweet cake. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #16 of 28

I am kinda in disagreeance I like the color of the bear . It's bear color ! just add a few details like the diaper idea or maby some pastel pink bows or booties icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:14pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

I like the color of the bear . It's bear color!

BEAR COLOR is what it is ... but children don't play with real bears, they play with teddy bears ... which come in all colors!

However, I agree that the bear could remain brown if you added a diaper, booties, a banner, even a ruffled bonnet! Thus breaking up the brown.

Sarah, how do you have the time to make "practice" cakes? Who eats them?

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 28

Ok, I love the cake but the bear was far too dark for the rest of it. Perhaps a creme colored polar bear would have gone better with the light colors

tobycat Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:59pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVienneaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

I like the color of the bear . It's bear color!

BEAR COLOR is what it is ... but children don't play with real bears, they play with teddy bears ... which come in all colors!

However, I agree that the bear could remain brown if you added a diaper, booties, a banner, even a ruffled bonnet! Thus breaking up the brown.

Sarah, how do you have the time to make "practice" cakes? Who eats them?

First, just want to say that these ideas for the bear are great! I think it would be a great challenge for me to make a banner, booties, etc. If I were to try these ideas, the I think I might even keep the bear brown, but much, much lighter. I dunno, I also like the idea of pastels. But, then again the ABC part is something I really like too...need to figure out how to keep both elements. I think I'll draw out my design first this time!

As for the time -- well, I don't really have it. Definitely not as much as I'd like. With a 3 year old and a 6 month old, I'm pretty strapped for time. I don't sleep a lot. My DH is very supportive, and gives me time when I need it. My practice cakes go to his work, or neighbors, or to a local homeless shelter. When I was practicing for the last wedding cake (I'd never done fondant, let alone on square cakes, let alone 5 tiers!) I donated them to the shelter, and they were so appreciative! Cake is just such a passion for me that it really is my only creative outlet right now. I think I'd perish without it. Okay, enough babbling.... icon_smile.gif Thanks again everyone.

Sarah

LittleLinda Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:32pm
post #20 of 28

Sarah, you're a kind soul.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 28

bless you sarah i never thought about giving to the homeless shelter.

BetsyCrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BetsyCrocker Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 28

Beautiful Fondant work! Personally, I like a 3-D bear standing up on a baby cake. It really stands out. I agree with the shade of brown comments. Try using buttercream for fur using your grass tip in a light brown or peanut butter.

tobycat Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyCrocker

Beautiful Fondant work! Personally, I like a 3-D bear standing up on a baby cake. It really stands out. I agree with the shade of brown comments. Try using buttercream for fur using your grass tip in a light brown or peanut butter.

Hadn't thought of making the bear buttercream on the fondant, but it sure would be a neat look. I'll definitely have to give that one a try! Thanks!

Sarah

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:25am
post #24 of 28

I love your design!

I would put the "welcome Ariel" on the cake board in orange or pink and add a pink or purple bow around the bears neck.

I would stay with brown for the bear but I would colour the fondant first rather than painting it. I would stick white eyes on top and stick on pink feet and ears. (the bear does need to be a bit lighter in colour)

also centering the cake on the board would make it look better!

I drew up a couple of designs based on you original design two girl and two boy variations!

I like your boarder conecting the cake to the board, you could even make it pink or purple (on a girls cake!!!)

I hope I have been some help to you!
LL

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:35am
post #25 of 28

I like the cake, it's adorable. I don't really think a brown bear would be bad, but I think you could soften the look by making him furry. Use the grass tip and make him look fluffy and huggable. Then the "bear" color wouldn't seem as much a contrast, and would fit the baby theme better. Maybe tie a "ribbon" around his neck. Just my opinion. But if using fondant, I agree, pastel is better. But you obviously have some skill with fondant, the cake is great.

tobycat Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:32am
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by socake

I love your design!

I would put the "welcome Ariel" on the cake board in orange or pink and add a pink or purple bow around the bears neck.

I would stay with brown for the bear but I would colour the fondant first rather than painting it. I would stick white eyes on top and stick on pink feet and ears. (the bear does need to be a bit lighter in colour)

also centering the cake on the board would make it look better!

I drew up a couple of designs based on you original design two girl and two boy variations!

I like your boarder conecting the cake to the board, you could even make it pink or purple (on a girls cake!!!)

I hope I have been some help to you!

Oh my! This is wonderful! Thank you so much for all the work you put into the sketches. They are so great! They really help make it easier to visualize too. Oh, about the cake being off center on the board -- that's kind of funny. I just got the Wilton tilting decorating stand, and, yes you guessed it, the cake slipped because I didn't glue the board under the cake to the bigger board beneath it. I actually almost lost the cake entirely! Once it had moved, and I saved it, I decided not to mess with it and left it where it was. Glad it didn't happen on the real thing! THe funniest part was that I had just read about someone doing this and thought, "Oh, I'll never let that happen." Anyway, thank you again! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:57am
post #27 of 28

I happen to like brown bears, but on this cake, I agree that a pastel bear would be a better fit. The diaper idea is very cute, I might "steal" it icon_wink.gif

I made a golden brown bear a long time ago, it was wearing a sleeper and holding a blanket. Perhaps the picture will give you some small inspiration:

http://sugarfrosted.com/albums/baby/normal_0329-TeddyBear%26Blankie.JPG

LittleLinda Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 11:31am
post #28 of 28

Anna, I see the sleeper on the bear softens the brown. That was cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%