Buttercream Question

Decorating By samantha1222 Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm by vrmcc1

samantha1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha1222 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 8:33am
post #1 of 26

i'm liking the sound of using buttercream for my cakes. seems to be the simpliest for a beginner.

one question though and probably a silly one at that; does it melt easily? if i'm going to be using that type of icing for my wedding cake, the cake is going to be out on a boat in the middle of august during the hottest time of the day. albeit it will be inside, is it really the best icing to be using during the summer? if not what would be the best one to use? also, i was curious to know if 2 different colors of buttercream put side by side will bleed into one another?

thanks in advance girls!! icon_biggrin.gif

25 replies
Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 8:59am
post #2 of 26

The buttercream shouldnt melt if you make it out of crisco. If you use butter it has a more chance of melting.I have never had a problem with 2 different colors melting into each other. butter starts to melt from my experience in about 90 degree weather so thats why its best to use all shortning. Im not that experienced in cake decorating but I do live in a place where it gets to about 107 in the summer. hope this helps and someone else will post something to be more elaberate on the subject.

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:06am
post #3 of 26

You can add some meringue powder into your icing to help stabilize the icing. I live in a hot/humid climate and during the summer, the meringue seems to help hold the icing. I would use a combination of Crisco and butter... seems to taste better. There are alot of posts on this topic, so try a search and I'm sure you'll find your answer.

mommalud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommalud Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:26am
post #4 of 26

yes, meringue powder will definately help. i live in new england and the humidity here is brutal! i find it is harder to work with fondant when it's hot. i use a bc recipe that calls for 1c butter and 1 1/2c shortening - i use wal-mart brand and i add 1 T meringue powder every time, even if it's not hot, it helps bc to crust so i can smooth with roller or viva.
good luck!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:56am
post #5 of 26

There's a recipe here on CC and on Wilton for hot weather butter cream, make of all shortening, with a little flour and some Dream Whip, as stabilizers. It's a crusting BC and works really well. (I have a cake for this afternoon and it'll be 100 or higher, and I used the recipe from CC.)

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:27am
post #6 of 26

I hardly ever use buttercream but I used it today to cover a choc fudge cake...and it was almost impossible to get the #*#& stuff to stick to the cake !!! I only used butter in it - is this common or am I just hopeless ??!! icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif please excuse the hijack !!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:39am
post #7 of 26

I love all butter butter-cream icing, it just doesn't do well in heat. And it is hot here! If your climate permits it, it's the best!

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 26

jules06, if your buttercream is to thick, it is sometimes hard to get it to stay on your cake. BTW, if you don't use buttercream, what do you cover your cakes with?? Ganache or something? I'm confused! icon_redface.gif

Christie

jules06 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 26

christielee, i usually make fruitcakes which i cover with fondant but sometimes i'll make a mud cake / choc cake which i do just cover with ganache icon_biggrin.gif

My buttercream was pretty thick - do you need it fairly runny to cover a cake ?

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #10 of 26

No, definitely not runny, but you should be able to stir your BC easily...it should be a thin consistency. Usually I add a little less than a Tbs water per cup of icing.

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #11 of 26

I like my BC thick...I build it up a lot to get it to stick on the sides....I do have my own dilemas tho...I LOVE the taste when I use my "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" in it (1 stick) along with the 1 1/2 cups of Crisco....but it does tend to break down when I color it or have it in a bag to work with for a long period of time. I am now straight Crisco and the Butter Flavoring...but it just doesn't taste the same....I sure wish butter held up better....oh...that reminds me, does anyone know if "real butter" does better than the "Light" or "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"? Maybe that's my problem....seems like the Parkay Light sticks did way better than the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light" does....or is it just me???? LOL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:56am
post #12 of 26

I have never used a "light" butter or butter like sub. I can't help ya there but I heard you should always use good quality butter.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:23am
post #13 of 26

Always use real butter; opinions vary on salted vs. unsalted (I use lightly salted to enhance flavor) but either works fine.

I too add 1 tbls of meringue powder to help stablize, always better to play it safe, never know what the weather will be like!

To get the right consistency for icing your cake, a spatula should just fall over when stuck in the bowl of BC.

Two of my favorites for BC: Butternilla ( butter/vanilla emulsion) instead of extracts, gives your icing a great taste and allows you to use less butter (bonus- less chance of melting); and Hi-Ratio shortening, great in place of regular shortening, you can use less, easier to work with, and it tastes MUCH better (no greasy taste or film in your mouth icon_biggrin.gif ).

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:37am
post #14 of 26

In the hot weather here, I add a couple of spoons of Crisco & some meringue pwd. I alsways use real butter, not light & usually 1/2 salted & 1/2 unsalted.
There is a very nice buttercream on CC especially for hot, humid weather.

jules06 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:15am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaann79

No, definitely not runny, but you should be able to stir your BC easily...it should be a thin consistency. Usually I add a little less than a Tbs water per cup of icing.

Aha !! my recipe had 1 tbspn milk per 3 cups of icing sugar - that isn't really enough is it ? & maybe the milk makes it thicker too ? Tastes divine tho' !!

icon_biggrin.gif

samantha1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha1222 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:27am
post #16 of 26

thank you thank you thank you ladies!!! my shopping list expands each time i log on here icon_wink.gif
i'm thinking i need to start practicing very soon. thumbs_up.gif

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:49am
post #17 of 26

Beth19. What is butternilla emulsion? Is it McCormicks Vanilla,butter and nut flavor?

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 26

The brand name I use is Butavan; its a very strong flavoring (emulsions are stronger than extracts). You can put in it anything you would typically use vanilla or butter extract in. Soooo delicious! icon_biggrin.gif

I buy mine from Earlene (Earlenescakes.com), $45 for gallon, lasts a long time, DEFINITELY worth the money! Sugarcraft also sells it but it costs a little more there and Ive found they charge much more for shipping.

Angie707 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie707 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 26

I always use have butter(unsalted), half crisco for my BC..... I just feel like all crisco leaves a greasy film in my mouth.

I havent had a problem with cakes melting and I usually just use buttercream.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #20 of 26

jules06,

you can use extra milk to thin it, too, instead of water. I also like to add powdered non dairy creamer to warm water and then place in the fridge, and use that.

jules06 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #21 of 26

Thanks christie icon_biggrin.gif I'll give it another go & thin it down ( because everyone loves the taste !! )

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #22 of 26

For the folks who add meringue powder to their BC....when in the mixing process do you add the meringue powder?

Thanks in advance.

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #23 of 26

I mix my meringue powder with a cup of powdered sugar and mix it in when I am adding the sugar.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #24 of 26

I posted my recipe for high humidity buttercream. It is a crisco buttercream with Dream whip(whipped topping mix). It is the only recipe I use because it always holds up perfectly. I just made a cake today that sat outside all day and it was 90+ degrees. The icing does not "melt" and your flowers will not droop. You may need to add a little extra milk to it if your putting it on with a spatula because it is pretty thick, I normally use a lg. bag with an icing tip.
Val

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:16pm
post #25 of 26

Hi,
Thanks for posting your buttercream recipe. I tried it yesterday and it did hold up very well, although I am not using the "new" crisco. I am using MFB from Curtze (comes in a 50 lb. block) and I do like it, although it does make a stiff frosting. When you make a batch for crumb coat and icing a cake do you add additional milk in the beginning or later? If you add it up front about how much do you add? I am also thinking of trying cake flour instead of all purpose, have you tried it? Thanks again! I will use it for a wedding cake I have this coming weekend as it is supposed to be "one of those days!"
Thanks again!
Joanie

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #26 of 26

Joanie4464
I use walmart brand shortning or whatever is os sale (have use the new crisco with the same results as reg. crisco). As for thinning the icing I add a few extra Tbls. milk at the end and I do not crumb coat I use the lg. icing tip and a big bag. I almost never get crumbs that way.
Val

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%