Wedding Cupcake Pricing

Decorating By sarahturtle Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 3:48am by Joanie4464

sarahturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahturtle Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 7

I'm making cupcakes for a co-worker's wedding next month and I'm not sure how much I should be charging her, how I'm going to store them, transport them, etc.

They will be jumbo size chocolate and yellow (from a mix) with buttercream and black and white fondant flowers (cut with Wilton cut-outs - either http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=52B22AB1-802D-F658-095D50A22BAE439C&fid=52B22AD0-802D-F658-0259678CB03C4565 or http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=B4720B02-802D-F658-048826F1EA73F43F) on top. I'm making 200 of them.

I'm not sure if I should charge by the cupcake or make an itemized list of supplies and double or triple it. I came up with a tentative supply list and it comes to about $200. If I charge by the cupcake I was thinking of charging $3.00, maybe $4.00, per cupcake. Is that reasonable? Too much? Too little?

If anyone has any pricing advice (and/or advice on how to store them beforehand) I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

It's very reasonable. As you've already mentioned, there is add'l work in the logistics and transportation. They are the bigger cupcakes.

I give out pricing higher than that in the hopes that they will go to Walmart if they really want cupcakes. I just don't want to mess with them.

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:28am
post #3 of 7

I think that is very reasonable! Let us know what you decided and how everything turned out.

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #4 of 7

That is reasonable to me. It takes alot of time doing the cupcakes. It is not like just icing and decorating a big cake. You have to take your time with each cupcake. I did 7 dozen baseball cupcakes last year and should have charged more than I did. I charged her $90 for a 9x13 cake and 7 dozen cupcakes. I was just starting to decorate and had to learn. Let us know what the outcome is.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:56am
post #5 of 7

To transport the cupcakes, I love using these inserts: http://www.brpboxshop.com/bakery_boxes/1500.html

Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7

I think the $3-$4 price is reasonable. The bakery I went to for my wedding cake charged $1,000 for my wedding cake that fed 150 which ends up being $6.67 a person. Other bakeries I know of in my area will start their "cake pricing" at $4.00 per person....so since each cupcake is serving 1 person it is a fairly reasonable price to request.

Youshould also let them know of a traditional price per guest's piece of cake is if they feel it is too much. Definitley remind them that this also includes delivery and set up.

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 3:48am
post #7 of 7

Hi,
I have done quite a few weddings with cupcakes. I charge about the same per serving for the cupcakes as my larger cakes. I do not however use the jumbo liners, I use the really nice cupcake liners from Sweet Celebrations and am not skimpy with my batter. Pile on the flowers and everyone loves them. They are quie time comsuming, but I find that there are advantages to them rather than large cakes, such as transport, set-up, and cutting. I transport mine in large covered trays similar to deli trays that you would get meat and cheese platters in (mine hold about 20 cakes each) and I place a layer of shelf gripper under the cakes and they DO NOT MOVE! I then use clear packing tape to tape two trays together so they are a bit easier to move and much faster. Place them on a level surface and you're good to go! Let me know how you make out! And especially any tips for me!
Joanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%