How Much Do I Charge???

Business By aundron Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 5:21pm by aundron

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 16

Hey guys, got a question. I'm new at cake decorating and I have an order for 36 carrot cake cupcakes!! It will be made from scratch and I need to know how much do I charge this person??

15 replies
JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 16

My best guess is $72. I was struggling with pricing cupcakes, had read that so many charge $1 a cupcake, and figured that wasn't really worth the work......... then someone said they wouldn't charge less than your usual per-serving rate, which sounds good to me. I generally charge about $2 a serving for most simple cakes with no extras........ so I'd charge $72.......

anybody else?

littleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleone Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 16

I charge less for cupcakes because they are usually less work. The only extras needed are usually liners and those are cheap. No greasing pans, no getting the sides smooth and they take a lot less icing than cake, if you are only decorating the tops.

Homeade carrot cake would be more, do you use any type of nuts because those usually one of the most expensive parts?

How much deocration are we talking about on the cupcakes?

aundron Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 16

I use walnuts, crushed pineapple, raisins, etc. in the carrot cake.

No major decorations, just cream chees icing. The lady only wanted to spend $25, but I thought that seemed kind of cheap for what I'm making!!

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 16

$25 for 36 cupcakes icon_eek.gif thats seems aweful cheap!!
i don't understand how that lady came up with that.. i don't think you can even get that many cupcakes for that price even at walmart. it is less than 70 cents per cup cake......
i am not sure how much i would charge -- depending on where you live i would charge $1.50 to 2.00 per carrot cupcakes

littleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleone Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 16

I would $25 would be pretty cheap for homemade carrot cupcakes.

I use walnuts, no raisin or pineapple though.

I would probably charge $36- but I am cheap and don't do it for a living.
I would say it would be at least that.

I would say most bakers would charge $50 or more.

aundron Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 16

I don't do this for a living and I'm starting on my third class of Wilton; but I sent a carrot cake into my husband's job and she wanted me to make them for her husband's birthday. I was thinking a $1 per cupcake too!!

sdfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfisher Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 16

I think I would at least charge 1.50 a cupcake for homemade carrot cake. The ingredients are expensive and there is more time involved.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 16

You really should at least charge $1.50 each if not the $2.00 each. It's also your time in making them, baking, icing and clean up!!
Carrot cake with cream cheese icing, let her try and find it for less and get the QUALITY too!!!!
Oh!!! Is she picking them up or are they being delivered??
Good luck and don't sell yourself short!!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 16

I would also say it depends on how big they are as well. Some people make cupcakes so small they would be gone in two gulps. Me, I like my cupcakes to dome ABOVE the liner, not even with it. So I would say that if the cupcake domes are even with the liner, $1.00. Higher than the liner, $1.25 to /$1.50 per.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 16

Our price for "gourmet" flavor cupcakes is $10 per dozen plus $3.00 for premium icing. Good luck!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 16

I charge $10 per dozen for simple cupcakes, $15 per dozen with a filling and $20 per dozen if they want something other than a swirl of buttercream on the top. But I live in a pretty cheap area if cakes cost more in your neck of the woods I'd go higher. $25 is crazy, tell her to go to Wal-Mart.

aundron Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

You really should at least charge $1.50 each if not the $2.00 each. It's also your time in making them, baking, icing and clean up!!
Carrot cake with cream cheese icing, let her try and find it for less and get the QUALITY too!!!!
Oh!!! Is she picking them up or are they being delivered??
Good luck and don't sell yourself short!!

Actually, my husband will be taking them to her; she works with him!! I'm really leaning toward 1.50 per cupcake.

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #14 of 16

I'm still a NOOb but, for soapmaking, we calculate total cost of all ingredients plus labor, utilities, etc. Then divide the amount of soaps by that to get the retail price. So for instance it costs you $15 in materials plus $15 in labor - 2 hrs to make and decorate plus $5 for gas and electricity usage. You're up to $35 = $0.97 per cupcake cost you to make. Suggested retail would be at least 2 times this = $2.

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 16

$ 25.00 icon_surprised.gif tell her she can go to wal mart and TRY to get 35 cc for 25.00 icon_mad.gif it makes me so angry when people are so dam cheap . i hate those stupid tapedshut.gif people. i wouldnt do it. but if your doing it just for fun hay at least make sure it covers cost. but i still would tell her to go to the store.

aundron Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaross

$ 25.00 icon_surprised.gif tell her she can go to wal mart and TRY to get 35 cc for 25.00 icon_mad.gif it makes me so angry when people are so dam cheap . i hate those stupid tapedshut.gif people. i wouldnt do it. but if your doing it just for fun hay at least make sure it covers cost. but i still would tell her to go to the store.

LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm really not too upset about it, although I'm new to cake decorating, I totally expected some people to be cheap!! I'm going to charge her 25.00 for 24 cc; I have most of the ingredients at home already, so I won't come out of pocket too much this time, just charging her cost!! But I told my husband to give her that price and if she doesn't like it, oh well, I can't help her!!! Thanks for you guys help!!!

(Oh, by the way, this woman initially wanted me to make a cake with a graveyard with people on it and a coffin, ALL FOR 25.00!! icon_eek.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%