Dehydrator For Drying Gumpaste?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm by carmijok

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 10

I noticed on the Cake Challenge that a dehydrator was being used to speed up (I'm assuming) drying of fondant and gumpaste. Does anyone here use one with success?

9 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, I have one and always wondered if it could work but i never tried it. at the moment i have no flowers to make but when i do i will try it out and post about it. I hope someone else has tried it and can tell.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 10

i wondered the same thing

please i would love to know also

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 10

the contests use it b/c of the time limits. for the rest of us, I think as long as you plan ahead you should be fine. it dries pretty quickly as is. you also can speed it up by putting items in the oven with must the light turned on. But even a good size lump of gumpaste (think base for a large rose) dries rock solid overnight

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 10

My flowers are really thin. I made them Friday and they still are not hard. They are soft and lose their shape if I take them out of cups I have them in. I'm dying to use them on a cake, but I'm having to wait and wait! Frustrating.
P.S. might be the really nasty humidity we are having here is So. Calif.

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 10

LOL That is funny you posted this I just finished watching it on our DVR and I rewound it to see if it was really a dehydrator she used and thought I would give it a try to when I got the chance icon_biggrin.gif

I also was really taken with the idea of marblizing the fondant but I would use more of a pastel color scheme not so dark.

Melanie

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know about a dehydrator but I have a dehumidifier running in the art room while working on the royal frosting, gumpaste flowers and 50/50 items. It really is helping tremendously!!!

MistyRomack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyRomack Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 10

I am currently in the process of using my dehydrator on some very thin painted stars...Only been in less than an hour and I can pick them up and only move slightly, almost stiff :0) Super excited!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 10

I use my little old dehydrator constantly for gum paste due to the high humidity in my area. It does *NOT* work for me with fondant - it actually melts the fondant and makes an unimaginable mess. I have an inexpensive round stacking unit that is at least 15 years old - something like maybe a Ronco? DH made a couple of "lifters" in different heights for me that fit just inside the lip of the drying rack to hold the lid up higher so that I can dry bigger/taller pieces. I simply could not get anything to dry without it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 10

I've never had gum paste not dry faster than I wanted it to. Are you using pure gum paste or fondant? The most recent cake I did at the last minute I decided to make a palm tree about 3 in the morning to put on the cake due the next day and it was dry enough to stand in the cake in a few hours. I use Wilton pre-made gum paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%