Cleaning Up Powdered Sugar From Fondant?

Decorating By AnaMaria11 Updated 7 Jun 2005 , 3:10am by SquirrellyCakes

AnaMaria11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaMaria11 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:01am
post #1 of 13

I'm making a bday cake for my middle son and it has a strip of brown fondant around the bottom edge, rest is iced in buttercream. I used plenty of powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to the coutner while rolling it out, but how do I get the extra off the fondant? If it were white, I guess you just wouldn't see it, but it's unsightly on the brown.

12 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:03am
post #2 of 13

You can try just dusting it off with a soft paintbrush and if that doesn't work, dampen the brush and try that.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:04am
post #3 of 13

I would probably try brushing off the extra with a small soft pastry brush.

AnaMaria11 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:12am
post #4 of 13

If I'm feeling brave, I'll try a damp one. I've only used fondant once before, and wasn't careful enough using water to stick pieces together and had some unsightly runs. It's just for the family, and he's only 5 so he won't care, but I'f like to get it fixed.

Can I use shortening instead of powdered sugar? It seems like it might not look very neat, either, but maybe I'm wrong.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:18am
post #5 of 13

If the brush is just damp, it shouldn't run. You could also try using just a little clear vanilla extract instead of water. It will evaporate faster.

AnaMaria11 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:28am
post #6 of 13

I just went over it again with the dry brush and it's going to be fine. I'm not used to having any time to try things - I'm usually trying to finish the cake and the meal all at the same time!

I am still curious about the shortening, though, can you use that rather than the sugar?

Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:29am
post #7 of 13

Use a dry brush--it should come off. If it still leaves too much of a residue you could always dust over it with brown cocoa powder! icon_wink.gif

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:31am
post #8 of 13

When I am working with fondant, I use the shortening, to me, it seems to work better....I guess everyone has their way of doing things though.....The powered sugar seems to make it too dry to me.

Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaker Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13

Hello! When I roll out fondant I put it between two pieces of parchment paper. I don't know if that is a good idea, but it has worked for me. That way I don't have to worry about a powered sugar mess.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:47am
post #10 of 13

I always use shortning! It works great for me!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13

I use shortening, also. Now when we say shortening keep in mind that it is a very thin layer on the surface and on the rolling pin (at least that is what I do). I just get a little on my hand and rub it over the surface.

If it starts to get sticky as I am working, I use my powdered sugar puff. A clean, new knee high stocking with about a tablespoon of powdered sugar. You can pat your work surface for a light dusting with big blobs of sugar. For dark colors you would still probably have some residue but less of it. icon_smile.gif

Cindy

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 2:59am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I just went over it again with the dry brush and it's going to be fine. I'm not used to having any time to try things - I'm usually trying to finish the cake and the meal all at the same time!

I am still curious about the shortening, though, can you use that rather than the sugar?

My opinion is that you should use cocoa powder when working with chocolate or brown fondant, and don't use water to clean it because it can get sticky and shiny.

Wandy

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 3:10am
post #13 of 13

I use the tiniest of tiny smear of Crisco on my work surface and rolling pin and it works great, very very little. Also, to get the icing sugar off the fondant and to give it a bit of a sheen, some folks smear again the tiniest amount of Crisco on their hands and rub it onto the fondant.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%