Kids Gingerbread House

Decorating By kel Updated 7 Jan 2005 , 11:32pm by Cakeasyoulikeit

kel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 6

My daughters 1st grade teacher called and asked me for some advice on making their gingerbread houses. To save time they are just using graham crackers and a milk carton for a support. She said in the past they have used canned frosting and that they have not had luck with them staying together. What is your suggestion on a frosting for them to use that is inexpensive, but edible (kids always like to lick their fingers). I thought of the royal icing, but it is for kids and I didn't want it to dry to fast on them. I also thought of using regular buttercream frosting - stiff consistency - What are your thoughts? She needs to have a recipe for Monday.

5 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

When I put a house together I use chocolate melts... And then royal ...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Dec 2004 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 6

Hmmm Interesting idea Ladycakes!! Next time I do a Gingerbread house I am ging to use candy melts first to hold it together!!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 5 Jan 2005 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 6

I realize this is a bit late, but for next year... I have had great sucess for years with the following recipe on gingerbread houses (big ones and graham cracker).

place 2 egg whites in a large bowl. Sift 3.5 cups of powdered sugar, 1/8 t cream of tartar and 1/8 t salt over whites. Beat slowly with electric mixer on low speed. until mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in just enough lemon juice to make icing consistency of softly whipped cream (about 2 T). Add more sugar 1/2 cup at a time if is too thin. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel. Yields 2 cups.

As long as icing is in the bag or bowl, won't dry out. It solidifies on the crackers fast enough to hold them together almost immediately (as long as it think enough), but leaves enough time to decorate before hardening, as long as kids don't get too far ahead of themselves.

Hope that helps! I made my first house in a lot of years this Christmas. I'll post the pic when i get it back in a few days...it really turned out nice! icon_smile.gif

kel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel Posted 7 Jan 2005 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 6

Cakeasyoulikeit

Do you have to be worried about the kids eating the frosting (not that it tastes good or anything, but you know kids) with the raw egg whites? I have not done this long so I wasn't sure if that was ok or not.

Thanks
Kelly

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 7 Jan 2005 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 6

Kelly,

Not that I know of. We have kept the house around for weeks before eating and never had anyone get sick. Got the pictures back today, so I'll be posting them. Click on my profile button in this post if you can't locate them in a gallery. icon_smile.gif

Angela

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%