Castle Cake...cones Of Cake???

Decorating By countrykittie Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 5:18am by shanasweets

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to make a castle cake, and was just wondering about the cone part of the towers...do you put cake in them and if you do, how do you bake them? How much do you put in them? Cones are pointy so what do you put them in to make them stand up straight? Also, how long would you bake them for?

Sorry for all the questions that have probably been asked before.

9 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 10

I havn't made a castle cake yet, but I am doing one next month and I am not planning on putting anything in them, just inverinting them and frosing them.

Stephanie

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 10

I just covered mine with fondant.

hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 10

I have a castle cake in my photos.
I used cake cones (the flat bottom kind) for the bottom portion of my castle towers. I baked them with batter just like cupcakes. I wanted that part to be heavy and sturdy. I inserted wooden skewers into them and left several inches sticking out on top.
Then, when I put the empty sugar cones on top (they are covered with fondant and sprinkles), the skewer helped make sure they didn't fall over! I pressed the cone into the icing, and also gave it an icing border to keep it from moving during transport.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

I have a castle cake in my photos if you are interested (it's actually posted in there twice). If you like it, I am happy to forward on the directions as well. I made my towers out of fondant that I dried.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

-Michelle

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 10

msauer your castle cake (actually ALL of your cakes) is wonderful!!!! It looks so difficult icon_eek.gif and detailed AND beautiful!!!
I am toying with the idea of attempting a castle cake and this has given me some great ideas!!

I always wondered about the cones....thanks!

PS msauer....LOVE the kitty cake!

deesquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesquared Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 7:01am
post #7 of 10

Hi there,

I recently made a castle cake using the tutorial from Cakeboss.com.
http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

The towers are fondant covered paper towel rolls.
The turrets are fondant covered ice cream cones. No cake in them.

It is a great tutorial. Very detailed.

Good luck!
Dianna

laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 10

Wilton also has a castle cake kit with the towers etc for $19 or so.

I used hollow cones and iced them (pic in profile). It was my first real cake, so I kept it simple! But, everyone loved it! icon_smile.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 4:58am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffer01

msauer your castle cake (actually ALL of your cakes) is wonderful!!!! It looks so difficult icon_eek.gif and detailed AND beautiful!!!
I am toying with the idea of attempting a castle cake and this has given me some great ideas!!

I always wondered about the cones....thanks!

PS msauer....LOVE the kitty cake!

Thank you....so sorry I didn't get back in here sooner....seems I was down your way for a little vacation time (OBX) and didn't get on line the whole time. You compliments on my cakes mean so much!

Got any of that stuff left you are eating in your avatar????

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:18am
post #10 of 10

I made my first this week. I used flat cones for bottom and pointed for top of turrets. I covered my with candy coats, easier than fondant, and figured the kids would eat it better. I second the skwers in the cones, though, I did not and they were pulling away from cake that night. I ended up putting a toothpick diaganol thru the bottom cone into cake and that kept it. I did put icing on bottom of cone to keep in place, didn't help much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%