Cake Density

Decorating By newcakemommy Updated 31 Jul 2006 , 7:38pm by newcakemommy

newcakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

Hi all. I have a question about the density of the cakes. I'm just starting out and love the idea of doctoring up the box mixes.(Grateful for the cake extender recipes) I've been experimenting and I realize I don't even know what the characteristics of a quality cake are icon_redface.gif I mean, am I shooting for the dense, moist cake (really tastes great) or the airy, fairy type cake? My inexperience is killing me. Maybe it's just a question of individual taste but I was hoping to learn more about what the texture should be.
Thanks so much.

8 replies
redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #2 of 9

i wouldn't be terribly concerned with the density unless you plan on covering your cake with fondant (you will need a dense sturdy cake for this but dense cakes are still very moist). i would shoot for taste. you certainly can't go wrong with a nice yummy cake. and if you feel you need a more moist cake, try freezing your cake. freezing actually adds moisture to your cake.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:29am
post #3 of 9

When you want a more dense cake will be when you will be carving a cake or one that will hold quite a bit of weight. For a more dense cake I substitute the oil for a stick of butter, add a small box of instant pudding (dry, add one extra egg and use milk instead of water. Best of luck to you and welcome to CC.

newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the helpful tips. I don't think I asked my question right, though. I tried the cake extender recipe for the first time with a white DH cake mix. I (and my family) loved the taste and texture. The weight of it seemed so heavy that I didn't know if cakes made with the extender are used for all the time or only when you need the density. If not are there other ways to doctor mixes for a more unique taste that don't make them so heavy? Thanks for your help!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 9

You should get the cake mix doctor books and try her recipes out for ideas. You'll find light and heavy cakes.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9

Samsgranny- a little of the subject here, but why do you add an extra egg? What does that do?

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Patton, I think it adds to the denseness of the texture to add an extra egg. Actually that is not my recipe but one that I found on a thread here and have used it ever since. I only use it when I need a heavy cake for 3D cakes and carving as it has more of a pound cake texture. Hope this answers your question.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks samsgranny. I have heard a lot of people talk about adding an extra egg but I never have, even when I do add the box of pudding. The only time I add the extra egg is when I make the extender recipe.

newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks debsuewoo. I will definately get the book, sounds great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%