newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 3:53am
post #1 of

Hi all. I have a question about the density of the cakes. I'm just starting out and love the idea of doctoring up the box mixes.(Grateful for the cake extender recipes) I've been experimenting and I realize I don't even know what the characteristics of a quality cake are icon_redface.gif I mean, am I shooting for the dense, moist cake (really tastes great) or the airy, fairy type cake? My inexperience is killing me. Maybe it's just a question of individual taste but I was hoping to learn more about what the texture should be.
Thanks so much.

8 replies
redsoxgirl Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #2 of

i wouldn't be terribly concerned with the density unless you plan on covering your cake with fondant (you will need a dense sturdy cake for this but dense cakes are still very moist). i would shoot for taste. you certainly can't go wrong with a nice yummy cake. and if you feel you need a more moist cake, try freezing your cake. freezing actually adds moisture to your cake.

Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:29am
post #3 of

When you want a more dense cake will be when you will be carving a cake or one that will hold quite a bit of weight. For a more dense cake I substitute the oil for a stick of butter, add a small box of instant pudding (dry, add one extra egg and use milk instead of water. Best of luck to you and welcome to CC.

newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:23pm
post #4 of

Thanks for the helpful tips. I don't think I asked my question right, though. I tried the cake extender recipe for the first time with a white DH cake mix. I (and my family) loved the taste and texture. The weight of it seemed so heavy that I didn't know if cakes made with the extender are used for all the time or only when you need the density. If not are there other ways to doctor mixes for a more unique taste that don't make them so heavy? Thanks for your help!

debsuewoo Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:28pm
post #5 of

You should get the cake mix doctor books and try her recipes out for ideas. You'll find light and heavy cakes.

patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:32pm
post #6 of

Samsgranny- a little of the subject here, but why do you add an extra egg? What does that do?

Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #7 of

Hi Patton, I think it adds to the denseness of the texture to add an extra egg. Actually that is not my recipe but one that I found on a thread here and have used it ever since. I only use it when I need a heavy cake for 3D cakes and carving as it has more of a pound cake texture. Hope this answers your question.

patton78 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:01pm
post #8 of

Thanks samsgranny. I have heard a lot of people talk about adding an extra egg but I never have, even when I do add the box of pudding. The only time I add the extra egg is when I make the extender recipe.

newcakemommy Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:38pm
post #9 of

Thanks debsuewoo. I will definately get the book, sounds great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%