Gumpaste Or Fondant W/ Gumpaste?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 2:27pm by karinj

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 7

Okay is there a difference between "gumpaste" and just adding gumpaste mix to fondant?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

Yes. Fondant mixed with gumpaste is a cross between the two. It will give you more time to work with it and it will dry faster than just plain fondant.

Just gumpaste will dry fast and has to be worked with quickly.

ASupergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASupergirl Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 11:59am
post #3 of 7

Okay then technically what is sugarpaste??? Isn't that the same thing as gumpaste? or is that the same thing as fondant?.....all of these _____pastes can get so confusing.... Please someone help clarify it all!!! Thanks!

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 7

How long does it take each to dry?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #5 of 7

sugar paste and gum paste are about the same. here is what i found on the web. hope it helps. www.sugarpaste.com

"Sugar paste, also known as gum paste, is used for making all kinds of fancy decorations, such as long-lasting flowers, ribbons, bows, leaves, and just about anything else you can imagine. It has a long and interesting history and has been used by confectioners to make edible decorations since the late medieval period.

Gum paste is really a pliable "sugar dough", mixed with gums, which makes it easy to shape like modeling clay. It can be tinted, painted on or dusted with decorating dusts. It can be rolled very thin, used for making delicate shapes or molded into figurines, trees, and animals. Pieces can be "glued" together to make large standing ones.

Sugarpaste cakes and flowercutter pages will give you some wonderfully creative ideas of what can be done using sugar paste! By adding the wide variety of Crystal Colors and using the special flower cutters, the sky is the limit to your creativity! "

as for the drying time....it varies...it depends on the weather. in air conditioning it drys pretty qickly. non air conditioning it depends on the humidity.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:15am
post #6 of 7

I have been sitting here at my computer for the last hour looking for past forums that discussed a similar issue. Since we are on the subject of gumpaste, fondant, gumtex, etc....

Which of the mediums used for forming flowers or decorations are inedible? (Long story short...went to buy some ready made calla lillies for a cake. Lady at cake store says "they aren't edible"- okay thanks for telling me. Goes to the back, gets them, brings them to the counter and says "oh, according to the box they are edible".)

So what were the inedible ones made from? Anyone? I have worked with fondant and recently purchased some stuff to make gumpaste flowers, but I want to be sure I don't kill anyone! icon_lol.gif

karinj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karinj Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 7

Gumpaste is edible but not tasty so I guess the bottom line is you probably wouldn't want to eat it but it won't hurt you if you do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%