How Long Do They Keep For?

Baking By Delartful Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm by bonniebakes

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:01am
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Cake Central. I did a bit of cake decorating a few years ago, but gave it up since I had no need for cake decorating, and found it hard on my health.

I have missed it greatly, and want to get back into it. I especially want to make decorated cookies to give as gifts for my customers (I'm a bear artist)

Alot of my customers are International customers, and posting packages can take around 8 days. So, I'm wondering if there are any cookies that stay fresh that long? I would be baking, decorating and freezing, then sending the cookies with the bears.

How long do sugar cookies and gingerbread stay fresh for? I just want to get an idea before I race out (and knowing me) buy 100 cutters and then not want to make the cookies because it won't work for me!

Many thanks - looking forward to hearing from you.

This board looks great - I can't wait get involved!
Danni

10 replies
doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:30am
post #2 of 11

Welcome!!!!!!!
I truly have no idea as I'm kind of new to it all and haven't gotten into the cookie thing yet. But I figured I would let you know that the boards are definitely not as active during the evening. If you don't get a response, remember to go to it in the morning and bump it up. icon_smile.gif I hope that someone can help you out.

And you are right, this site is great! icon_wink.gif

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:23am
post #3 of 11

Gingerbread & royal icing should work great, I really can't say about anything else because nothing ever lasts 8 days at my house.....

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:41am
post #4 of 11

Cookies seem to last forever if you make them in an eggless mix. I made some at Christmas and put them in a tin - my other half was munching on something yesterday and commented on 'these delicious biscuits, when did you make these?' whoops. Seriously, they were fine - I ate some!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 11

Sorry I can't help you with your question as cookies never seem to last around my house! Best of luck to you and welcome to CC.

Stella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:49am
post #6 of 11

I had made a gingerbread house decorated with royal icing and candies 8 months ago, and it is still standing. My experience with sugar cookies and royal icing are that the cookies stay fresh for a week, but the icing (especially white) will start to have yellow spots. The grease from the cookies tint the icing. Best would to use rolled fondant to cover the cookies, and the royal icing for the details, keep it air tight and it should stay fresh for two weeks and 'pretty' for months....

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 11

I use the cookie recipes from kitchengifts.com website and I think they're good for 10-12 days, once frosted with royal and stored in airtight containers.

They can also be frozen...

I've been worndering if I could somehow package cookies (sealed of course) with some dry ice to keep them cool/frozen during shipping. Has anyone tried that?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 11

I'm thinking of investing in one of those sealers that suck the air out of the bag and seal the bag tight. I think with one of those that a cookie can last at least a week or so. But then again, they don't last that long in my house.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 11

How long can you freeze the no fail sugar cookies for? I'm thinking of making them for a Christmas fair and wondering how early I can do this. Thanks!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:51am
post #10 of 11

bump....

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

Gibson - I've frozen them for about a month before, and they were fine. You might want to PM Antonia74... maybe she has a better idea of how long they'll keep frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%