Covering Cake With Cool Whip

Decorating By NANT Updated 7 Jun 2005 , 4:10am by briansbaker

NANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NANT Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 5:48am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a cake for a birthday party and it was requested to do a white cake with coolwhip and strawberries/bananas in the center(sort of like a strawberry shortcake). Has anyone ever decorated a cake using cool whip, and, can I decorate the day before and refridgerate or should I do it that morning? Will the borders hold up or fall flat?

4 replies
blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 8:39am
post #2 of 5

if you add some instant pudding to the cool whip you can do shells or borders with it I only tryed it once and did it the day of but everyone loved it i used fresh strawberrys in the middle with a thin layer of buttercream on the top of the bottom layer and under the top layer so the cake didnt get soggie from the strawberrys hope this help.

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

I have iced a cake with cool whip before, but I haven't tried to really do any decorations with it. Try folding in some strawberry yogurt, it tastes really good!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

I use it all the time. I use the reg. size tub of whipped cool whip, I add a few teaspoons of vanilla. I set my mixure on med/high, then add about 5-6 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Mix until it thickens. Once thick stop mixing or it will over mix and become runny. Hope this makes sense. It's one of those things where I can do it, but to explain how to do it.. Well it's tricky. You really have to eye this one. Once thick it decorates very nice. Becareful and be ready to ice the borders fast. It will melt in your hand. Keep in the fridge until ready to use and just fear of it melting. I keep mine in the fridge until ready to cut. good luck!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 4:10am
post #5 of 5

p.s. if you look at my photos, the chef cake is made with cool whip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%