Another Wedding Cake Order

Decorating By ntertayneme Updated 8 Jun 2005 , 11:48pm by ntertayneme

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:24am
post #1 of 17

I got another wedding cake order today for a cake in August ... She wants a small cake to serve 100 people and she wants a square cake .. she told me she wants it to be different and unusual... I told her I could set the bottom normally, then turn the next tier with the point facing the front of the cake, then the top tier straight like the bottom tier... I hope this makes sense...

I also gave her the option of going square on the bottom, the 2nd tier being round and the top tier being square ... she also wants 2 side cakes.. she said they can be square or round ...

I was thinking of doing a 12 square bottom tier, a 10 round 2nd tier and a 6 inch square top tier...

what do you guys think?? anyone have suggestions?

16 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:39am
post #2 of 17

why not do a square mad hatter cake??? you can do the round middle layer and still do the mad hatter design. i love the way square cakes look so i would choose the side ones to be square but i guess you should make them what ever you are best at. hope that helps

ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:41am
post #3 of 17

square mad hatter? not sure what you're talking about susanmm23.. sorry for being so stupid lol

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:44am
post #4 of 17

the whimsical cakes that are tilted. its a bit unusual there is a tutorial on this site check it out. you can do it with just about every shape cake. i will find a pic and show you

ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:49am
post #5 of 17

I'd love to do that, but I don't think this woman wants this... it's actually the mother of the bride.. her daughter is in Germany, the goom is in Montana.. the mom has been taking care of everything for the daughter.. the daughter is flying home on August 3rd for her wedding on August 13th ... she had wanted a cake with the stairs (ugh) going from the 2 side cakes to the 3 tiered cake .. she had also wanted the bride/groom/bridesmaids on the stairs ... she also wanted a minature bride and the ringbearer on the top tier in front of the flowers (no cake topper) .. wierd I thought, but I'll accomodate whatever it is she wants ...
*shrug*

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:05am
post #6 of 17

well then i like the idea of doing the middle layer a square but turning it like you said. if i think of anything i will let you know

ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:07am
post #7 of 17

thanks susan icon_smile.gif I appreciate any input icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:23am
post #8 of 17

check this one out
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=5&pos=26

you can add the stairs i did see a cake like that in the galleries under traditional wedding cakes. it wasnt square but you could very easily do it in squares.

ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:27am
post #9 of 17

Oh yeah... I like that one ... really different .. I think she'll really like that one too .. thanks so much!!! that was exactly what I was looking for icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:29am
post #10 of 17

no problem. glad i could help.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 17

Here's a cake that you may like. Its very different and similar to the style you mentioned. Take a look at cake 125 on the link below.

http://www.weddingcakewonders.com/Cakes/gallery.asp?CakeGallery=1&page=5

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 12:30am
post #12 of 17

heres one i saved a while ago, it may help
LL

ntertayneme Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 1:00am
post #13 of 17

Oh my!! How beautiful!! I just love that one .. I wish she'd let me do that ... she called today and they decided on the square cakes .. each one turned differently .. I want to print this cake pic out though .. I want to make that one!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 1:02am
post #14 of 17

I like your idea of using the square and round pans together. I think the two side cakes might look good round. Sometimes what I do is set all my pans together and then see what I like the best. It sounds like it will be an interesting cake! Do you advertise in your area or do your customers come from referrals? It seems like you do well getting the wedding cake orders! thumbs_up.gif
traci

ntertayneme Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 2:18am
post #15 of 17

All my orders usually come from "word of mouth" ... someone has seen and taste one of my cakes and will ask who did the cake .. they give my name/telephone number to them and I usually get a call... I also have business cards handy ... on one of the last wedding cakes I did, the lady oversees the rental of the reception hall asked for some... she said she was asked many times if she knew anyone that did wedding cakes... she said she'd like to have some of my business cards to give to people... I also have my website info on my cards to so they can look at the cakes I've done ... I also provide a box for the top tier of the wedding cake for the bride/groom... I put a label on the box with my name/telephone number on the box ... I also tell them, if they would prefer to have a nice fresh cake for their first anniversary, I'd be happy to replicate their top tier for them ...

lately, I've been busy! lol I just hope it keeps up at this pace icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:10pm
post #16 of 17

That's great! I advertise in my area and also give out business cards to all my customers. However, the area where I live I get mostly children cake orders. There are so many kids in this nieghborhood...I actually find that some of the kids cakes are more difficult than the wedding cakes! Having to mix up all the colors can be a real pain sometimes! I was going to rent out a booth for the bridal extravaganza....but when they told me it would cost 750.00...I was like maybe next year!!! Anyway, keep up the good work! icon_wink.gif
traci

ntertayneme Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 11:48pm
post #17 of 17

Wow.. that's a lot of money for a booth traci! We don't have anything here like that .. or not that I'm aware of .. there is a business that does a huge wedding show but she caters them nd already has contracts with certain bakeries for her cakes .. no others are allowed at her event icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%