Using Rolled Fondant On 3D Cake Pan

Decorating By beau Updated 10 Dec 2004 , 11:07pm by beau

beau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 11

HI,
am new at baking and am finding it difficult decorating a pooh stand up cake using ready- to -use rolled fondant.

10 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 11

Do you have to use the fondant??? could you use the buttercream and do the stars???

beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 11

I want to use the fondant for covering the whole cake then use butter or royal icing for the stars,but the problem is how to get the form,do i need to press the pan over the fondant.

Ladycake Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 11

I have never heard of covering with fondant and then putting the icing on that .. I cant help you there.. Maybe someone else will be able to help you .. Sorry...

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 11

I have never made a cake such as this, but learned the basics in the Wilton classes. It's very uncommon to cover it in fondant...I've only seen one (at the ICES Washington D.C. show), and it was almost a life size cake covered in Chocolate fondant.
Also too, if you manage to cover the cake in fondant successfully, you would ruin it if you cover it with buttercream.

I would suggest that you proceed as the Wilton book suggests, bake and cover with Buttercream stars.

icon_biggrin.gif [/quote]

beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks i think i will use the butter icing as directed but i will like to make a seperate base how do i join the two cakes?

Ladycake Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 11

Are you going to put a cake at the bottom for your base??

If that is the case what your going to do is do your base first then your going to put a wooden dowel down through the head and in to the bottom base.. Make sure that you have extra boards under the cake one is not going to be enough... Tape a few together and then put your foil on them...

beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks ladycake ,it's a relief i will follow your ideas this is my first decorated cake attempt and am doing it for my son's first birthday on the 18th that's saturday. can i decorate the cake on thursday and if yes how do i store it?

beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 11

I will post the picture of the cake when am done.

Ladycake Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 11

I dont see why you would not be able to decorate it on Thursday and eat it on Saturday lots of us do things like that... LOL.. What I would suggest to you is a few things do a crumb coat if your able to if your not able to do that and still see your detail then make sure that your stars have no gaps that they are as close together as they can be this way the cake will not go stale...

Your going to have to cut your dowels so they cant be seen and then frost over it ...

As for storeing the cake ... just leave it sit on the counter or in a cool place some place that ant is not going to get it.. just put it in one of your boxes so it dont get hit...

Unless your using milk or cream cheese in your frosting then it has to be keep in the frig..

Good luck cant wait to see your photo...

beau Posted 10 Dec 2004 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 11

I will post the picture of the cake when am done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%