Candy Cake Decorations

Sugar Work By MommaKeri Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm by my2sunshines

MommaKeri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaKeri Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to make my own candy cake decorations- like the sugary ones you can buy in any grocery store with the cake mixes.

Thanks!

8 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 9

I dont really understand what you're asking but here's a bump for you

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 9

Royal Icing is what you are asking about. You can probably get the recipe on here or it is on the Wilton site.

MommaKeri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaKeri Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

So if I make some Royal Icing and let it harden it will be like those "candy" cake decorations. thanks!

darcat - here in the States on just about any grocery store isle with the box cake mixes you can get these "candy" cake decorations. Letters, numbers and other themes to put on cakes.

I figured it would be much more fun to make my own. I posted this in the candy forum since they on the packaging they are called "candy cake decorations"

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 9

Yep, they are the same. You can make all kinds of things out of them. If you look the the galllery you will see it used many times. Also if you take a wilton class, I think it is 2 they teach you lots of cool flowers with it. Or you can just get the book at the store and teach yourself. Most of them are fairly easy to self teach. It is all about the consistancy though. And make sure you keep it covered when you are not using it, even if you are decorating cover what is in the bowl with a damp cloth. Also you need to whip it back up if you store it and go back to use it again, it will not work right if you dont, nice thing is it stores well for quite a while.
Sorry got babbling, Good luck, it is fun for sure. I have used it lots of times. I even made turkey tails for my cupcakes out of it. You can get really creative with it, you will never want to buy in the store again. icon_wink.gif

TigerFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TigerFan Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

Can you put the royal icing in the small chocolate molds to make the various decorations? I want to make some small icing decorations for placement on chocolate covered oreos? If not what would you suggest other than chocolate. Thanks!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 9

Instead of royal icing you can use fondant in your molds to make the decorations. I usually dust the mold lightly with cornstarch before inserting the fondant and let it sit for about 30 minutes before removing.

I have tried using royal icing in my molds by coating the mold with crisco, but haven't had much success and the decorations break or get stuck in the mold. Maybe someone else has had better success and I would love to know their technique.

pixie_dust51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixie_dust51 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 9

icon_smile.gif hi ther the recipe for royal icing in australia is egg white mixed a little to break it down and add sifted icing sugar ( confectioners sugar) one table spoon at a time and mix it in and repeat till you get a runny icing for flooding or a med peak incing for lacr and writing thx hope this helps hav a gr8 day pixie thumbs_up.gif

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, royal icing. You will be able to use it to make those things similar in the baking aisle (like candy button type of things). It dries hard and close to tasting like those buttons as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%