Art Or Sketcher Cake Ideas

Decorating By tanyascakes Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 5:14am by sheilaattaway

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 14

Hi. I am trying to come up with an idea for my younger daughter's birthday cake next month. She loves to draw-is actually very good at it- and paint. But I am so stumped icon_confused.gif on what to do. She did like a cake that was in the 2004 wilton YB(spreading their wings on pg 19). But it has nothing to do with art at all. She really just liked that one out of this particular yearbook. But today she told me to just come up with an idea for her cake. I want one that is really going to blow her mind!! icon_surprised.gif I want it to really surprise her. She is my quiet, introverted child. Never asks for anything spectacular. So this is why I want to go all out for this one. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!
TIA,
Tanya

13 replies
LadyMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMisty Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 14

What about a painter's pallete ( for the life of me I can not think of what's it's called.) with a paint brush. How about a sketch pad with some pencils. You could do them in fondant.

Not the most creative ideas but all I could think of.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 14

You could draw/sketch on an edible image sheet with edible markers and place that on a cake

Deb

tanyascakes Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the input, guys. I was thinking of both of those ideas, too. I am not really all that artisticly inclined-funny that I like to decorate cakes though. So I may use the fondant idea. I appreciate both of your ideas!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 14

OK here is a thought--can you turn one of her own drawings into a BCT? That is what I did for a 12 year old girl who didn't want cake. Her mother took one of her favorite drawings of Tweety bird and I did a BCT on a choc chip cookie...just a thought..she thought it was great because it was "HER" drawing and input.

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 14

I have friend who is an artist and I made a cake that was inspired by her style of work. It is listed on my photo page as Palmer

tanyascakes Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the excellant ideas, you guys! I never would have thought to make a replica of some of her own art! That is a tremendous idea! And Jane, your cake was beautiful!! I love all the bright colors! Now my mind is flowing with ideas!! I knew I could ask you all for all the help in the world. When I decide what I will do, I will surely post it so you all will know. I am so excited now!! Can't wait to go through the various ideas and find the one that will suit her best! Thanks again for such much inspiration!!
~Tanya

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 Jun 2005 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 14

I like the idea of taking some of her art work and putting it on her cake. Perhaps even scanning one of her images and putting it on the cake. You could make the cake into a framed piece of artwork. Perhaps make a frame for the piture out of fondant, gumpaste or royal icing. You could even put a small paint pallet with paintbrush one of the corners of the cake. If you could get her signature you could also scan that and make sure it is on the cake to look as if she has signed the work of art.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 12:09am
post #9 of 14

Maybe a collage (spelling?) cake with different pieces like a scrapbook or quilt?

tanyascakes Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 2:56am
post #10 of 14

I swear that you all are the best! There are so many different ideas out there. I am glad that I have a couple of weeks before her birthday. It will be a very busy week as my oldest daughter's birthday is the day before this one's!! I am going to be one tired mommy!!LOL

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:34am
post #11 of 14

OH gosh I thought I was the only person around with birthdays 2 days in a row! How long were you able to get away with combining parties? Mine are still very young and can do that, but I'm sure it won't last long! And good luck with the cake... it sounds like it's going to be fabulous! thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:58am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccal

OH gosh I thought I was the only person around with birthdays 2 days in a row! How long were you able to get away with combining parties? Mine are still very young and can do that, but I'm sure it won't last long! And good luck with the cake... it sounds like it's going to be fabulous! thumbs_up.gif

Hi, Beccal. It only lasted until they were 6 and 7. And we used to mix it into the 4th of July family get together BBQ (they are the 1st and 2nd of July). But they figured that out quick enough! But it is pretty fun to do the 2 separate parties now. They are both teenagers with totally different styles in friends, clothes, everything! But it can get a bit harrying. This year my oldest will be 16-big deal cake to do-and the artist will be 15! And I have my son's party on the 17th of this month! I have a monthlong flurry of cake decorating to do. So I am sure that I will be prebaking and freezing just to get that out of the way! Now that I have a ton of ideas for my artist's cake, I will have to see which one I like best. But I am leaning towards using some of her own art. Right about now I am wishing that I had the whole edible pic setup. But that is something I have been recently saving for. Wish me lots of luck on my 3 creations! I will definitely need it!!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 2:21am
post #13 of 14

Tanyascakes, I have been wondering what you decided to do for your daughters cake. There were so many ideas tossed around and you seemed so excited about it I just know you came up with something fabulous. Post a pic please.

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:14am
post #14 of 14

I found a few ideas you might like. Im not sure what you have in mind, but these are so cute
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%