Wilton Flower Making Foil....difficult To Remove

Decorating By suprena Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm by sabre

suprena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suprena Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:59am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know the secret to removing the foil paper for the lily and other flowers made in Wilton III? I tried to remove all these flowers after they hardened for a few days but I can't remove it without breaking my flowers. Please help!!

11 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know what kind of foil paper you're using, but I always use Reynolds non-stick foil in my lily nails. First, I put a dab of floral gum in the bottom of the nail so the foil won't spin around and pop out while I'm piping, yet I can still pull it out easily after the flower is made.

suprena Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I don't know what kind of foil paper you're using, but I always use Reynolds non-stick foil in my lily nails. First, I put a dab of floral gum in the bottom of the nail so the foil won't spin around and pop out while I'm piping, yet I can still pull it out easily after the flower is made.

I used the foil required for Wilton III class that was on our syllabus. Our instructor said she would help us get it off but she really couldn't. Some foil still remained on the flowers, therefore making it nonedible! A student in the class suggested that we try reynolds nonstick after we attempted multiple times to remove the foil from the flower. However, I still have Lilies I made that I can't remove the foil. I don't understand why Wilton would have a product like this and it doesn't work! It has got to be a way to remove the foil from all of those flowers I made!

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 12

I agree with everyone about the renoylds non stick. It works like a charm!

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 12

Try smearing a small amount of Crisco on your aluminum foil prior to making your royal icing flowers

suprena Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre

Try smearing a small amount of Crisco on your aluminum foil prior to making your royal icing flowers

thanks, I will try that the next time as well as the nonstick reynolds. How do I get the foil off the flowers I have already made?

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 12

I would be afraid to put crisco on the foil, as any grease will make the royal icing break down!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, I wouldn't put crisco on the foil. Your icing would probably break down, completely ruining your flower from the start! I've found that wilton recommends several things that don't really work very well.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 12

I spray a napkin lightly with veg oil then wipe the foil (while it's in the flower mold). A light film like this won't break down the icing. Remove them after they're set (maybe a few hours). Make extras---there's always breakage.
I didn't know that there was a non-stick foil available; I've never seen it. I'll look for it and give it a try.

jilliankinsel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilliankinsel Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 12

Were you using the candy foil from wilton? That is what my inst. suggested and i had now problem. I also smoothed it as much as possible in the lily nail before I made the flower by using the other one and I pressed and turned it until it was pretty smooth. Hope this helps.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 12

Hello...WMI x 10 yrs here. icon_smile.gif

You can put vegetable oil or Crisco on your foil before piping your royal icing flowers to make them release easily from the foil.

Royal icing will break down only if grease is INCORPORATED into the icing as it is mixed. Otherwise, piping royal icing on top of vegetable oil or shortening is fine. icon_smile.gif

As for your current flowers, I really have no suggestion. Sorry!

~ Sherri

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 12

I was taught by a Wilton instructor to rub a small amount of Crisco on the aluminum foil to prevent my flowers from sticking to the foil. I've used this method several times with positive results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%