This Name Just Came To Me - What Do You Think?

Business By berryblondeboys Updated 15 Jun 2007 , 5:53pm by mrsmicbau

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:15am
post #1 of 34

I know, i'm the WORST at this. I swear, it's as bad as naming kids!

Anyway... this popped into my head:

Tickle Your Fancy Cakes

What do you think?

33 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:23am
post #2 of 34

It is cute, but I have two I think can top it.

FANCY THAT

TOO NICE TO SLICE

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:07am
post #3 of 34

Anything with the word 'tickle' makes me think of adult films or a strip joint. Sorry!

I do like 'Too Nice To Slice.' rhymes are cute.

berryblondeboys Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:01am
post #4 of 34

I did do a search for 'tickle your fancy' online and yes, a few adult content things popped up... "tickle your fancy" is actually an old fashioned "nice" saying... how everything gets tainted.

I'll NEVER find something that fits me. I really like the other suggestions, but they aren't me! If that makes any sense... ugh... I'll be so upset if I end up with just "Cakes byMelissa".

Melissa

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 34

If it fits you and you like, then use it! I'm weird, don't listen to me. HA!

berryblondeboys Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 34

Yes, but you aren't the only one who would think that. People might think I specialize in naughty cakes or something... The other name I really liked was Pure and Simple cakes, but people thought that made it sound like I only make simple things...

I know there's no perfect name and when there is, it's been taken a thousand times! LOL

melissa

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 34

Unless you are planning on franchising your shop out in the future, you only need to worry about names in your state...I think.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 34

What type of business are you looking to open. Cakes.. DUH.. but what kind of cakes? Give me some words that sum you up.. are you perky.. serious.. refined?? What are some things that you just LOVE.. I know what you mean about having a name that fits you.. It took me a long while to settle on a name and Cakes by Jeanne wasn't something I was entertaining either.. LOL. Let's start with what defines you.. and go from there.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 34

Yep, I agree I like Too Nice to Slice and you can use the number instead. I picked With Sugar On Top because it was on top of the counters, on top of the stove, and all over the place by the time I was done making a cake!!
I also like How Sweet It Is

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 34

I think if you don't have the word 'cake' in your name people won't know right off the bat what you are selling. But I do like Shirley's "Fancy That". That is very cute. Or maybe "Fancy that Cake". That would take care of it. I like that.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 34

I always wanted to open a shop with a funny name... like "Eat Me" or "... and so tasty, too!" (from I Love Lucy)

A business name is very important... and you really should put a lot of time and thought into it. It should reflect you, and your long term goals. And you should feel comfortable saying it when you answer the phone.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I always wanted to open a shop with a funny name... like "Eat Me"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 34

I went with Cake Creations for mine because I create each cake individually for each person I make. Also, then they hopefully won't expect to pick a cake from a book and have that done. That is not my market.

I talked to a marketing pro, and she had me send her pics of my cakes, flowers, etc. She wanted to know what I hated to do (sheet cakes) and where my passion was... then we went from there.

Other names that were on my list... feel free to use them if you want.

You Take the Cake

That Takes the Cake

Cozy Kitchen Cakes

Edible Elegance

Custom Cakes by...

Creative Cakes

HTH

kiddoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiddoscakes Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #14 of 34

I totally agree with everyone so far. I use the name Kiddos Cakes and I don't get any calls for anything but kids birthday cakes and sometimes it's ok to have an open name that people won't assume you only do one type of cake!
How bout Tickle your tastebuds! icon_rolleyes.gif

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 34

Hi Melissa, i would say just take your time, write down words you want for certain in your name or you want ppl to link with your name and then just make combi-words of then of sentences. Otherwise ask a friend and just have some fun doing this, don't get to serious, most of the times you are the most creative if you are not so serious about it.... And i am convinced that you will come up with something really nice, and something that really suits you!!

PD I also did my name; i wanted something with "tartas" in it (we already had plans of emigrating to spain then) and something associated with "magia/magic" of the cakes but also the magic of making cakes (well that is how it feels to me this decorating/creating cakes).... so it became Tarta-cadabra (Tartacadabra) icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Lara

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 4:43pm
post #16 of 34

I love it.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #17 of 34

[quote="BrandisBaked"]I always wanted to open a shop with a funny name... like "Eat Me" or "... and so tasty, too!" (from I Love Lucy[quote]

omg thats too funny....i told my husband I wanted "Lick My Icing" or " Kiss My Cupcake".... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif you shouldve sen his face!!! I tried telling him I didnt have to be so personal....how about Lick The Icing icon_lol.gificon_twisted.giftapedshut.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:13pm
post #18 of 34

I wish you luck! I've been trying to come up with a name for quite a while. I want to do my woodoworking and cakes under the same business tax number and need a name that'll work for me with both. Not too cakey or too woody. LOL I know it sounds screwy.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 34

Will it be only cakes or will you be selling other types of bakes goods? Pies, cookies, breads, etc.... I always love the "MMMMM Cake!" but that might sound funny when you answer the phone icon_confused.gif As far as names and Inc, or LLC or whatever, make sure you check the Secretary of State website for your state to make sure the name is not taken and you can trademark the name in your state as well as the US but at a cost of course. Good luck and be sure to let us know.

dagrama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dagrama Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:34pm
post #20 of 34

Just something to think about. If you are going to advertise in a phone book they list alphabetical order. first word towards the front of alphabet will get looked at and maybe called first.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:10am
post #21 of 34

I've been tossing and turning in bed each night going over possible names! What does everyone think of Hydrangea Bakery? I love hydrangeas, would include the flower on business cards, brochures, etc. I think they are elegant and I love the combination of flowers and cakes.
Too obscure? Thanks for input . . . icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #22 of 34

Hey KateWatson, if you learn to make hydrangeas out of sugar the name would really be appropriate!! I've tossed around names using red geraniums, so I know what you mean. My name will probably have nothing to do with actual cakes. LOL

Mysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mysweetcakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #23 of 34

How about "The Fancy Cakery" icon_lol.gif

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:54am
post #24 of 34

I think the Fancy Cakery is cute!! Maybe we agonize too much over a name . . . as long as people understand what it means and the cakes are great I guess that's the point! icon_smile.gif CarolAnn, thanks for the input. I love the idea for you of red geraniums, they would look bright and colorful on cards, ads, etc.!

BrandisBaked Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:59am
post #25 of 34

Melissa's Fancy Cakes? Put your name first and "Brand" yourself (as I have done)... everyone will know you are the owner.

How about this (considering the way we labor over our cakes, and obsess about getting them perfect) - Blood, Sweat and Tiers! LOL!!!

berryblondeboys Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:59am
post #26 of 34

Well, I think I am going to go with Tickle Your Fancy Cakes - it fits me, it's a bit old fashioned, it's cute and well, it's memorable with a play of words.... and that's what I want to do with cakes - to Tickle someone's fancy...

I found a cute photo to go with it too for stickers on boxes:

It would look "something" like this:

and perhaps my business card could have this image:

I like the "feel good" images of the 40s and 50s. My kitchen is FULL of little plaques (well, like 10 wall plaques) that have cute sayings - mostly dutch things.... so these "fit" me as well.

Mysweetcakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:06am
post #27 of 34

I started out with "Simply Sweets" and about 2 years ago I chaned it to "Sweet Cakes". I think it sounds like a nickname like "Hey there Sweet Cheeks" icon_lol.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:09am
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

and perhaps my business card could have this image:

The cake looks like he's going to tickle someone. icon_biggrin.gif

bakerj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerj Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:15am
post #29 of 34

is my name "caked on icing" sounding ok to anyone? i am new but thought of this a few years ago..how much icing can you put on a cake? to much? not..

Mysweetcakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:20am
post #30 of 34

I like that one "Caked on Icing" thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%