What Am I Doing Wrong???!!!!

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm by melferreira

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:23am
post #1 of 54

Ok so here I am on my third attempt at mmf .. I am using the recipe off of this site and I am doing it just like it says to do .. but yet ... not one single batch has come out right??? My first batch was tossed because it ended up all over my hands which then proceeded to drop the bowl which spilt what little was left in it and while my cat was trying to lick it up my hand got stuck in his fur ... after that disaster I thought no way! But.... I really need to learn this stuff so I made another batch last night and at least it was rollable but stll very very sticky even though I ended up adding almost three pounds of sugar to it!! It stuck to the saran wrap this morning and I couldnt get all the small pieces of paper out of it so it to ended up in the trash .. so now I am on my third attempt .. its in the mixer .. with two pounds of sugar in it and it is still runny!! What am I doing that wrong??? Can anyone help me? Please!!!

53 replies
TheCakerator Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #2 of 54

ok .. I know some of you have done mmf before .. share your secrets please!! icon_cry.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #3 of 54

Ive tried every single recipe but the one on this site and never had any luck either. I think I did once, with Colettes recipe but tried it several times after and it never worked for me. I got tired of wasting my time and money and just buy Satin Ice. Its always easy to roll and taste good.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #4 of 54

It's funny. I just posted another thread about the same thing. I can never make it come out right. I follow the directions and it always comes out different every time. Maybe it's the humidity or something. I just don't even want to make it anymore. I give up.

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #5 of 54

Maybe you are adding too much water to your marshmallows. If you are using Rhondas Ultimate MMF then maybe you are adding too much lemon juice or extract. I really don't know. HTH

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #6 of 54

Hmmm! I have done the recipe from this site this past wknd and it was perfect. It was my first attempt ever at it. I used my Kitchen aid mixer.

I can not understand why but the recipe for me was great!

I will be watching to see if someone else can figure it out!

Josie

dakjack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakjack Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:56am
post #7 of 54

I have only made MMF a few times myself so I don't know if I can be of much help.
1st, did you put crisco on your hands and bowl before you worked with it? And also when I wrap my MMF I put some crisco on the plastic wrap to keep it from sticking. Then when I was ready to use it , it was a little sticky from the crisco so i just sprinkled some corn starch on the work surface and rolled the MMF with a little corn starch.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:57am
post #8 of 54

Hmmm.... I am new to CC and until I joined had never heard of MMF. I was really excited when I heard about it, tried it and it came out wonderfully! The taste was unbeatable and it rolled out just like Wilton fondant. What recipe did you use, I noticed there was a few on here. I used Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe in both the regular MMF and Chocolate. They worked great.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:58am
post #9 of 54

How big of a batch are you trying to make? I didn't use a mixer when I made mine. I melted the minature marshmallows in the microwave, added sugar a little at a time and just kept kneading with my hands until it got to a good consistency.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:59am
post #10 of 54

I know a friend told me that humidity does play a role in the gumpaste mix but she is in OK and says that another person that is in PA that uses the same recipe has no problems. I keep thinking its me but if everyone else has the same problem then it cant be that we ALL are measuring wrong or something. I always grease my hands and cover it with a greased wrap. I even put it in a Satin Ice bucket! Still, it never works. I swear there is a secret to it that someone is forgetting to mention!!! In the meantime, I will save my money and just buy Satin Ice!!!

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:00am
post #11 of 54

well I did not use rhondas ultimate mmf just the normal mmf .. I used two tablespoons water and two teaspoons vanilla extract .. melted the marshmellows in my greased pyrex bowl until they were melted, poured into the well of my powdered sugar inside my greased kitchen aid bowl mixed with my greased paddle then switched to my greased dough hook until everything was incorporated but still ...... one ..... big .... sticky ... .mess!!! At least I know it is not just me having problems cause that's how I usually feel!! I will probably end up buying pre made fondant from now on because that mmf is nothing but a huge mess and a waste of money .... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:02am
post #12 of 54

I have made the MMF recipe from this site w/the water, vanilla, marshmallows, add pwd. sugar in the bowl. I've had great results, I knead it a lot, and keep adding the PS, almost like kneading bread dough. I keep adding the PS until it is not sticky any more, then put it in the ziplock. Of course I did add Crisco to the bowl and my hands, lots of PS on the surface. Good luck, when it comes out right it tastes great and is nice to work with! I also added color to the melted marshmallow stage and that was a great way to get the color in. Best of luck! icon_smile.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #13 of 54

Okay, you may have already checked this out, but it helped me even though I used a different recipe (I use Rhonda's UMMF).

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

I hope this helps you, I know how frustruating it can be! I'm sending good luck wishes your way! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #14 of 54

I love making the mmf the only time I had a problem was when I used the large or regular size marshmellow instead of the mini ones. How much water or flavor are you adding?

Tarabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarabell Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:05am
post #15 of 54

I've tried a couple of the recipe's on here with Rhonda's Ultimate being my fav overall and the only thing I can think might be the problem is the marshmallows themselves. I know I've seen posts about only using certain kinds and never the cheaper ones. It's frustrating to have something not work out and I hope you have some sucess with it soon!

Tara

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #16 of 54

How much marshmallows did you use? That is the only other thing I can think of. Also, don't melt your marshmallows too hot. If you do this then you need to have them cool down some so that it is not too sticky! Maybe that too!

Hope this helps!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:31am
post #17 of 54

I was wondering if it has to do with the marshmallows too. It seems like the biggest variable in the recipe. There are so many different brands, and several sizes - I wonder if some brands are made differently enough that it would affect the MMF? Maybe get the name brand, or maybe some other MMF users that are successful will post what brands they use so you can get an idea!

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:34am
post #18 of 54

I used name brand marshmallows .. I think they are called jets puffed? I tried both the regular size and the mini type .. no luck with either size ... for those of you who do not use a mixer ( I did ) how do you even handle the mixture? I mean .. I poured right from the melting bowl into the mixing bowl and added sugar as needed and when I thought my professional KA was going to blow its motor I kneaded with my hands but it stuck to my hands so bad that there is no way I would be able to knead it like bread dough! I couldnt get it out between my fingers or off the back of my hands or .... grr. ... I don't know what I am doing wrong but like my dh pointed out .. I made three batches, none of which were any good .. I paid just about 2.00$ a bag for marshmallows, 1.00$ a pound for p.s. which it ended up each time taking three pounds so 3.00$ plus my crisco which I used plenty of so probably another 1.00$ or 2.00$ so at or around 6.00$ a batch with three in the trash I have already wasted 18.00$!!!

dakjack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakjack Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #19 of 54

I use the walmart brand marshmallows and p-sugar. It seems to work fine for me. Also , I don't use a mixer. I use a big spoon that is covered with crisco and when i get it mixed in a little I start to knead the rest of the way with my hands also covered in crisco.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:50am
post #20 of 54

Here is the recipe I have used and I live in Florida...very hot, very humid.

1/4 cup Crisco
1 pound mini marshmallows
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp butter flavor
2 tbsps water
2 lbs powdered sugar

First grease everything with the Crisco. Then nuke the marshmallows, flavorings and water in a well greased microwave bowl on high for 1 minute. Stir the melted mixture. If all the marshmallows have not melted return it to the microwave for another 20-30 seconds stir again at the end of cycle and repeat if still not melted. My microwave takes about 80 seconds but all microwaves are not created equal so just work with it.

Have your 2 lbs of powdered sugar waiting in your mixer with the dough hook (all greased). Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the powdered sugar and mix it at level 1 speed (in KA mixer) until most of the sugar is incorporated. Then move it to level 2. Important---once all the sugar is incorporated DO NOT continue to mix as it will begin to get too soft.

Take your fondant out of the mixer and put it on a work surface that has been well dusted with powdered sugar (also dust your hands) and knead it. If it is sticky knead a little powdered sugar into it. Once it is no longer sticky wrap it well in Saran (plastic) wrap and let it sit for about an hour.

Mine comes out perfect every time...except the one time I got distracted and let it mix too long...then I had to incorporate more powdered sugar into it when I kneaded it ~ 1 cup.

Hope this helps. I know it is frustrating when it doesn't work out but it is so much cheaper to make it yourself and it tastes so much better.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:58am
post #21 of 54

I am still thinking it may be the marshmallows.

1 pound is the mini marshmallows which is one bag or 16oz. bag.

When you heat your mallows don't heat them too much.
And, are you letting it sit for an hour after mixing??

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:07am
post #22 of 54

I tried Rhonda's Ultimate MMF this past weekend - my first time with fondant of any type - I followed the recipe precisely and it turned out great. Messy to make, but ended up great. I definitely agree with PP about using JetPuffed marshmallows (though I think you said you did that, but I'm saying that for other readers too). I bought a store brand once and they were sooooo different in consistency, I only buy JP now.

The method for Rhonda's Ultimate MMF seems quite different than what you tried. Maybe give it a try and see if it works any better? I used a greased spoon to initially start mixing the sugar in (just as recipe says) and towards the end used my hand (again, per recipe). It was pretty humid here this weekend but it still worked.

Good luck to you - sorry it is so frustrating!!!

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #23 of 54

I am only making what the batch calls for .. I am not doubling it or anything by any means ... I have tried the larger size and the mini marshmallows and I do nuke them until majority is melted there may be a few lumps left in the mix but I figured that is o.k. and from what I am reading its recommended .. everything I use is greased as well as I can grease it and I am using my professional KA with the paddle in the beginning and the dough hook towards the end ... and I add sugar ... and more .. and more ... and more .. and more ... you get my point .. it stll remains runny .... so I turn off the mixer and try to knead by hand but it is so sticky and messy that I am simply making a mess and no progress .. I really do appreciate all of the replies and helpful hints but as far as I can tell I am doing exactly what the recipe calls for and what everyone is suggesting ... I don't know what's going on but I sure do feel better knowing that I am not the only who ever has problems with recipes on here ... I guess for now I will just stick to what I know and for those of you who are willing to give mmf another try I say good luck!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:56am
post #24 of 54

Check the ounces on your bag of mms. I have always used the walmart mms and once had to buy the jet puffed because they were out of the walmart brand. Anyway, I noticed that the jet puffed brand had 2 diff sizes one was only a 10 oz bag. You need 16 oz, maybe you used a 10 oz bag? Also, are you thoroughly greasing your hands? I handle mine delicately. I've noticed that if I try to press too hard or squish too hard, it will stick to my hands like no other! I grease up my hands then periodically stick my hands in the ps and regrease as necessary depending on the humidity.

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #25 of 54

I have had good luck with MMF. I use 1 and 3/4 of a bag of small marshmellow. Only name brand. I melt them with 3 tablespoons of water for two mintues in the microwave stiring every 30 seconds. Then I add the melted marshmellow to two pounds powdered sugar. I mix with a large spoon just a bit. Then I turn the mixture out onto heavy greased counter and I grease my hands. Then I just knead like bread dough until it has a playdoh consistency. Hope this helps.

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #26 of 54

I made my first batch of MMF from a recipe on here. I found that it was hard to work with, not very stretchy etc but I have made 2 more batches using the alternative MMF recipe (also on this site) and it has worked wonderfully for me. Maybe try this one out. I also add a little flavoring to it as well. The last time I used coconut and it was so tasty icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck!

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:23am
post #27 of 54

I had great luck with the MMF recipe on here, but I did not follow it exactly. Based on reviews from another MMF thread I added 2 TBS of crisco into the marshmallows before melting in addition to the other ingredients. I also crisco'd the heck out of everything! I then followed the tutorial, except I did the non-mixer directions.

I did not even bother with cornstarch, I just used crisco when kneading and rolling. It will stick to your hands some when first making it, but keep kneading and kneading and it will get there!

I loved working with the MMF and my kids love eating the "marshmallow paper stuff". icon_lol.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:40am
post #28 of 54

To me it sounds like you're adding way too much liquid.......here is the recipe I use.....it only takes a little liquid. no mixer needed, it's easy....I never have any problems & I live in southern KY w/ lots of humidty

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a greased microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a greased spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands (lightly greased hands). This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or I use a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

You can make a large batch of this fondant as well by doing this:

Large batch of Marshmallow fondant
1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsps water
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)

Do the same procedure as above.

Tips for success from Bunny:
I add any flavor Lorann Oil flavorings to this. Something that will compliment my cake well. What I do is cut back on the water and add about 1/8 tsp Lorann flavoring. You can certainly add more (especially if I make the large batch) for a more of a pungent flavor, just adjust the water amount accordingly. *****The more liquid you add to this will make it stickier to work with. Try to be accurate in measuring the liquid.*****

Stickiness??????
If it is way to sticky to work with then cut back on the amount of liquid that you used by about 1/2 tsp. This will help.
Let it sit out and "air dry" for about 10 minutes.
Use a small amount of Crisco on your work surface and hands. A little goes a very long ways so don't go over board with the Crisco.

Knead the dough with a spoon!!!!! Do not attempt to pick it up and knead it too soon. This dough is hot when comes right out of the microwave!!!!! I say this because I have had people contact me saying they received a burn from it. I can almost knead it fully with a spoon.

Dough that is not in use must stay covered with plastic wrap or it will dry out. Or place it in a Ziploc bag. That works too.

Dried out Marshmallow fondant: place it back into the microwave and nuke it for a few seconds to revive it back to its original state. The bigger the batch the more time on the microwave. Example: small batch 3-5 seconds.......large batch about 10 seconds. Microwaves vary too so keep that in mind.

Coloring: well I have experimented with this several different ways. If I want to make the whole batch of Marshmallow fondant one color then I have added the color, just Wilton paste color, Americolors, or Chefmaster colors.....any will work for this, when I pull the bowl out of the microwave when it looks "soupy". Stirred it up and then added the powdered sugar. Otherwise I have added it after it has come together and kneaded it in by hand. I use plastic gloves too when I do this, because otherwise your hands are never the same!!!!

You can work with this just as you would the regular fondant. Pizza rollers cut this very well. Ribbon cutters work fabulous too for this. I can make bows and drapes, push molds etc with this. I love the taste of this stuff. Great on the pocketbook too!!!!!!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:45am
post #29 of 54

I've used MMF. My first try was unsuccessful. After that time, I've had excellent results. As some have mentioned above, check the size of your bag. I can only find 10 oz bags of the brand I like. I use a food scale to measure out 16oz, not my measuring cup. Once I figued that out, I was hooked on MMF.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:10pm
post #30 of 54

MMF can be a hit and miss thing, and I think humidity plays a big role. With that said, I started buying the jet puffed (Kraft) little mm's, 16oz. bag. I use 2 tablespoons of water and 1 teaspoon of flavoring. Depending on the humidity, I some times only use 3/4 of a 2lb. bag of ps, and sometimes I use close to the whole bag. I would suggest cutting your flavoring back by a tsp. and you kind of just have to eyeball the whole consistency. I mix in ps until a big mass sticks to my dough hook and when you pinch it between your fingers they do not stick. I will say that I recently used Satin Ice for the first time and it was awesome to work with, it did, however, dry pretty fast, but it was excellent to work with. MMF is such a cheap medium to use, keep trying and you will get it right!!!! I forgot to mention, I also add 2 tablespoons of shortening before I pour in the marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%