Blue Plastic Mat Used On Celebration Cake On Food Network

Decorating By tammi Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 11:32am by CakeCrystals

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:13pm
post #31 of 39

Piramirez - that's a great idea using freezer paper. I've got a ton of it that I use to cover cake boards, I'll have to give this a try when I'm just doing accent pieces.

fromkimskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fromkimskitchen Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:56am
post #32 of 39

on the price of crisco...i tend to buy the store brand stuff myself. however the store brand at walmart in so hard that i went in search of a cheap but softer alternative. i don't know if there are save-a-lot stores all over, but there brand is much softer than the crisco or the walmart brand.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:59am
post #33 of 39

I used to buy the store brand shortening, but it was way too soft and I think that's why had a few nightmare situations with BC sliding off the cake! So, now I have to suck it up and buy the Crisco. I wish it would go on sale sometime soon ... I'm tired of paying full price for it!!! icon_mad.gif

fromkimskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fromkimskitchen Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:10am
post #34 of 39

I did have a time with buttercreme sliding off a cake in a class that i did. the teacher insisted that we used her recipe for icing that was all crisco. I usually use 1/2 crisco, 1/2 unsalted butter...i didn't think about it at the time, but i guess that was why it did it to me. i hated the film that it left in my mouth and it didn't taste as good as when i use butter, so unless i have a customer that just wants a pure white icing i still use it my way. i didn't use the teacher's recipe anymore, she asked about it when i was sitting close enough to a classmate one night that you could tell a difference...i simply told her that since my family was eating the proudct of the class then i was going to make it the way we liked to eat it. she wasn't happy about it, but i didn't like her from day one anyway...but i'd paid for the class so i kept going.

but anyway i got way off topic there...i'd never thought of that when trying to figure out why the icing slid off and was so soft, but it makes sense....thanks

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 12:08am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

in her response in the Congrats thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

... Here's one thing they did leave out -- Julie almost starting a fire! LOL -- she placed my blue Ateco fondant mat on top of my food dehydrator ...

so maybe this is the one she is talking about: Ateco #697 - Silicone Mat

I dont use the blue one, but I have a huge Ateco fondant mat that ran me 25 bucks. It was well worth it!! (It really is a big slip mat) It sticks to the table and I dont have any rolling around or slipping. It also has measurement marks on it for cutting out strips and such.

Kim1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1009 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:11am
post #36 of 39

I got a huge blue fondant mat from www.decopac.com I think it was about $20
and if you buy $75 or more, everything ships for free.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Is Crisco cheaper at WalMart than at grocery stores?? It seems like it has gotten so expensive!!! icon_eek.gif

Depending on where you live you can purchase Walmart brand shortening. It's almost $1.00 a can cheaper, and YES Walmart is cheaper than the grocery stores on Crisco and everything else.

My mixes that I use to doctor up, are $1.00 less at Walmart, Publix charges
$1.98 Walmart is .96, they just went up to .96, I used to get them for .86.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #38 of 39

In this site www.webstaurantstore.com the price is $21.99, HTH.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:32am
post #39 of 39

You can also try "The MAT" from Sweet Wise Inc. It's a mat specially designed to be food safe and come in two pieces. You lay your fondant in between the mats and roll out and you pick up the mat to place the fondant on the cake. Check out the video on youtube. I'm not sure how to post.

I'm planning on purchasing 2 sets because you can also use the mats to keep you fondant/gumpaste decorations from drying out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%