Blue Plastic Mat Used On Celebration Cake On Food Network

Decorating By tammi Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 11:32am by CakeCrystals

tammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammi Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 39

I wanted to know if any knew where I can order the blue plastic mat used to roll out fondant on the program celebration cakes on Food Network? It seemed really nice because the plastic didn't move around at all. And it seem like a breeze to remove the fondant.

38 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 39

I saw that too..it looks very wide and felixible..I'm sure it's like a Silpat mat but a lot wider i'm sure someone out there knows. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 39

in her response in the Congrats thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

... Here's one thing they did leave out -- Julie almost starting a fire! LOL -- she placed my blue Ateco fondant mat on top of my food dehydrator ...

so maybe this is the one she is talking about: Ateco #697 - Silicone Mat

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 39

Hobby Lobby sells the blue mat but I only saw the small size.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 39

My fondant mat is just a large piece of clear acetate that I purchased at JoAnn Fabrics. There are different thicknesses, and it's very similar to the Ateco blue mat. It's much, much cheaper, though. I purchased 3 yards, and with the weekly 40% off coupon, I think I paid about $2.00!! I washed it well with soap and hot water, and it works just great! Just wanted to post this in case you don't want to spend the $35 for the Ateco mat. icon_smile.gif

tammi Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:09am
post #6 of 39

Yes that's the mat I was talking about. Wow, $35 is pretty steep. Now Jess, the acetate mat you brought from Joanne's do you have to place anything underneath it so it doesn't move around. If that's the case, then I will be going to Joanne's.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:25am
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

My fondant mat is just a large piece of clear acetate that I purchased at JoAnn Fabrics. There are different thicknesses, and it's very similar to the Ateco blue mat. It's much, much cheaper, though. I purchased 3 yards, and with the weekly 40% off coupon, I think I paid about $2.00!! I washed it well with soap and hot water, and it works just great! Just wanted to post this in case you don't want to spend the $35 for the Ateco mat. icon_smile.gif

I also use a large piece of clear acetate that I got from the fabric store and it works great. Very inexpensive and you can get whatever size you need. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:21am
post #8 of 39

Just want to clarify that the clear material available at JoAnns, WalMart, and other yard good sellers is not acetate, it's vinyl. Acetate is a different type of plastic--much thinner, much more expensive, and if you crease it the crease will remain. Acetate is the type of clear plastic found on the front of report covers and it is used in chocolate transfers, bow making, etc. and it can be found on rolls that carry supplies for graphics. You can't use vinyl for making chocolate transfers or bows. If you attempt to cut fondant on fairly thick vinyl with a pizza cutter, the vinyl may get a deep scratch but it won't be cut through. If you try to do the same thing on acetate, you may actually cut all the way through to the counter!

I purchase various thicknesses of vinyl at WalMart in the fabric area. It is pretty wide--I'd guess about 60"+--so I can cut all sizes of rolling mats. I think for the thickest vinyl it runs about $2/yard. Depending on the size of the cake tier, I sometimes roll the fondant on a very large piece of vinyl and then drape it over the cake and pull off the vinyl just like they did with the blue mat on the Challenge.

Rae

tammi Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:17am
post #9 of 39

So can someone clarify when using the vinyl, what do you use under the vinyl to keep it from moving. I experience the vinyl moving and I use one of those plastic liner you use to line your drawer to avoid the shifting. But with the plastic liner it causes the impression from the liner to show up on the fondant. Just trying to find the best way to roll out fondant.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #10 of 39

tammi - have you ever tried wetting the table before you put the mat down. I do this with my wilton rolling mat and it works great. I just use a wet sponge and wipe the table, then place the mat down and it sticks great. The same could probably work for a larger, home made mat.

I've been wanting a bigger one - I think I'm going to go to JoAnn's tomorrow...thanks for the tip.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:24am
post #11 of 39

For short term rolling projects, I wet a paper towel/towels to the point of dripping and put them out flat on the counter. I put the vinyl on top of them and then roll over them several times--that drives out the excess water and sort of seals the vinyl down. It will last for hours like that. This only works on completely smooth surfaces like formica, corian, etc. If the surface is pebbled or rough, I use the method below.

If I'm going to be doing a pretty long project, I tape it down with clear packing tape on the two top corners and the center of the bottom edge or I use some of that tacky putty.

Rae

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:28am
post #12 of 39

That is an Ateco mat. You can get them through Pastry Sampler

www.pastrysampler.com

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:11am
post #13 of 39

BlakesCakes ... you're right. I misspoke when I said that I use clear acetate ... it is vinyl. Thanks for clarifying that. icon_redface.gif I do have a few stray pizza cutter/knife marks in the vinyl, but they didn't go all the way through.

tammi ... like some others have said, I just wipe a wet dishrag or paper towel over the area of the counter where I will be laying down the vinyl mat, and it doesn't budge. I hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

I always roll out the fondant on the vinyl (making sure to use lots of powdered sugar between the vinyl and fondant so the fondant doesn't stick), and then I lift up the whole piece of vinyl and flip it over onto the cake. Then I just peel the vinyl away from the fondant, and smooth the fondant on the cake. When I first started using fondant, it took a few mess-up times before I got the fondant centered on the cake, but I have a lot more success with this method than laying the fondant over a rolling pin and transferring it to the cake that way.

SLK Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 39

cakesbyjes,

have you ever tried coating the top of the vinyl mat with crisco before rolling out your fondant? I learned this technique recently and it works great. You don't have to worry about the fondant sticking in spots when you don't get enough pow sug down. The fondant rolls out beautifully and it sticks to the mat but that's what it's suposed to do..then when you flip the mat over the cake - it peels off very easily.

It's not like when you don't get enough pow. sugar in a spot and it unforgivingly sticks...the point is to make it stick - but the crisco helps it peel off.

Once the fondant is on the cake, I then sprinkle it with some puff (pow sugar + cornstarch) so that the fondant smoother with glide across it.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:09pm
post #15 of 39

One of the ladies in my cake club that works with fondant a LOT more than I do uses two of the Ateco mats. When she gets it rolled out on one, she flips it onto the other to peel it off, then flips that onto the cake. She says it works better, because you don't stretch the fondant as much trying to peel it off the mat when you have it on the cake...it's already loose. Another lady commented that she does the same, using 2 pieces of the vinyl she got from WalMart.

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 39

SLK, that's a fantastic idea!!! I am definitely going to try Crisco next time. I don't love using powdered sugar because, like you said, the fondant can still stick to the vinyl in some spots. I really don't love using powdered sugar when I have colored fondant, because it sometimes leaves white marks that I can't smooth off!! I am so happy to learn this new technique. Thanks bunches!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MsTonyasCakes, that's a great idea, too!! Oh, I can't wait to make my next fondant cake!

I can't say often enough how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifbirthday.gificon_biggrin.gifbirthday.gif

(I think I've had quite enough caffeine this morning!!!! icon_redface.gif )

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

cakesbyjes,

have you ever tried coating the top of the vinyl mat with crisco before rolling out your fondant? I learned this technique recently and it works great. You don't have to worry about the fondant sticking in spots when you don't get enough pow sug down. The fondant rolls out beautifully and it sticks to the mat but that's what it's suposed to do..then when you flip the mat over the cake - it peels off very easily.

It's not like when you don't get enough pow. sugar in a spot and it unforgivingly sticks...the point is to make it stick - but the crisco helps it peel off.

Once the fondant is on the cake, I then sprinkle it with some puff (pow sugar + cornstarch) so that the fondant smoother with glide across it.

In my teeny weeny experience using MMF I've found it frustrating using all that extra powder or cornstarch to keep it from sticking. For one thing it absorbs moisture and dries out as I add it while rolling, and for another, that makes an awful mess on dark MMF because it's all light powdery and doesnt absorb, and maybe there's a trick to removing that coating of cornstarch after but I havent figured it out yet icon_lol.gif - and coating my surface with crisco worked just fine for me. Then my last bits of MMF left arent so dry that I have to throw them out because they arent workable anymore icon_redface.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 39

oceanspitfire, that's another reason why I don't like powdered sugar on fondant ... it does seem to dry it out! I am just giddy about the Crisco technique ... yay!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SLK Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:57pm
post #19 of 39

cakesbyjess, I was excied to learn about it too. Here is some more detail.

I use mmf. When I tried this technique for the first time it didn't work so well because the consistency of my mmf was a little to airy or bubbly...so when I rolled it out on the mat and flipped it over it had a potted or puckered look. The others in my class were using satin ice and did not have that problem. (If you look closely at my 2 birds with 1 Stone cake - cake with drapes and swags - you can see what I'm talking about.)

I wasn't ready to give up though...I just started working on the consistency of my mmf until it was just right. I had been making it to soft/runny. Now - with the new consistency...it works great with this technique and it works better for molding/shaping too. (did this with both of my 4th cakes.)

If you are using a pre-made fondant - satin ice, etc. then you should have no problems at all!

Good Luck.

SLK Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #20 of 39

Ocean and cakesby jess, I sooo agree with you. I hated using ps - especiall on colored fondant. It alwasy clumped up, caused streaks, looked awful....i would use a blush brush to brush the excess off, but there were still indentions left at times....this crisco thing is a dream.

ocean...you were typing at the same time I was so I missed your message...

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:12pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK

Ocean and cakesby jess, I sooo agree with you. I hated using ps - especiall on colored fondant. It alwasy clumped up, caused streaks, looked awful....i would use a blush brush to brush the excess off, but there were still indentions left at times....this crisco thing is a dream.

ocean...you were typing at the same time I was so I missed your message...

LOL that happens thumbs_up.gif
I use a brush too but also find that it doesnt remove everything. When I was using RBC before I discovered MMF, it was greasy anyway so it would absorb the excess PS lol
YAY crisco! LOL (they dont sell sticks here at Walmart- but I just bought another huge tub yesterday and cake pans were on sale icon_surprised.gif so I uhhh bought a few icon_redface.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:15pm
post #22 of 39

Thanks for the additional info. I use premade fondant (Massa Grischuna), so I'm glad to know I won't have problems wih puckering/pitting, etc. I have been wanting to try MMF for quite some time, so I'll be attempting that when I have some free time. It will certainly save money (the fondant I buy is $$$, but so good!!).

By the way, your cakes are absolutely gorgeous!!! You are truly an artist!!!!

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:20pm
post #23 of 39

Is Crisco cheaper at WalMart than at grocery stores?? It seems like it has gotten so expensive!!! icon_eek.gif

SLK Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:45pm
post #24 of 39

I've been getting my crisco in 7 or 10 lb tubs at Sam's - so I would assum that WalMart would be cheaper. It is so expensive at my grocery stores...I agree, I think the price has gone up.

cakes by jess....Thanks for the comments on my cakes. I feel like I still have a ways to go...but I learn more and more every day...expecially from CC.

BTW...my daughter and I ran across your watermellon cake the other day and she smiled ear to ear and said - that's what I want for my next birthday....she loes watermellon...great job! I think we can call you the sheet cake diva...thay are all so colorful and creative.

oceanspitfall...so, uuhh, did you tell your dh about your purchase....or did you hide it somewhere so he couldn't see you have once again spent money on cake supplies...lol

tammi Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 6:32pm
post #25 of 39

Thanks for all of the info on how to get the vinyl sheet to stick. I have the vinyl already so I guess I don't need the acetate anymore.

cakesbyjess Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #26 of 39

SLK ... I'll have to check out the prices at Sam's and WalMart. I paid $3.45 for a 5-lb. can yesterday at the grocery store!!! YIKES!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

You're very welcome about the cake comments. Very, very nice work!! icon_smile.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed my watermelon cake. That was a fun one to make. The little 1-year old I made it for was dressed up in a watermelon sundress (that her mom made) for the party, and she looked so adorable!!!!!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:16pm
post #27 of 39

I Paid $6 at sams for a 7 pound can I think I dont remember.. one of the big ol' honkin' ones. I also got 7lb bag of PS for 3 and some change

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:53pm
post #28 of 39

Yes, it's the Ateco silicone mat. I got mine for almost free when it was on clearance at cooking.com and I had a $15 coupon. Here's a place that sells them for $25: http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/126/CLID/3331/N/99035/Ateco_Silicone_Mat.htm

I rub a VERY light coat of Crisco over the top of the mat with a paper towel before I start rolling out the fondant.

piramirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piramirez Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:07pm
post #29 of 39

I usually don't cover cakes with fondant...just use it for decorations. Anyway, my point is that I usually just tape down some freezer paper and use that. I don't have to use crisco or powder because it doesn't stick to the slick side. The best part about it...you throw it away when you are done.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 2:17pm
post #30 of 39

I bought a clear vinyl shower curtain liner (one of the thick ones) and cut it in 4 pieces, plenty big enough for rolling out my fondant and folds or rolls up for storage when not in use. Works great! (and a lot cheaper)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%